It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus: New virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Coronavirus: New virus

www.bbc.co.uk

Their analysis of 55 cases of Middle East respiratory-syndrome coronavirus, published in the Lancet, indicated the virus struggled to spread in people.

But the virus may be mutating, which means it could become a much greater threat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Can't help but think we're due a serious threat to mankind, and the more I read about this very fast mutating virus it could be the one.....

Viruses have intrigued me for years and have always followed simple yet devastating viruses, and it always worries you when the team chasing say they don't know how it started and don't know how it will mutate

What's your thoughts?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
personally i doubd this corona virus is an ELE of any kind. I truly believe within my lifetime we will see such a devastating virus. But not this one.

If it was truly a game changer, it would spread more quickly. This just sounds like a really bad cold. Even a cold moves around faster.

Although, I did cross my mind it looks abit like chemical warfare in the middle east. Thin out the flock sort of speak.

I mean Saudi Arabia was where it all started... Such an odd place.
edit on 7-7-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatdamage

This is not a new virus. Strains of the coronavirus have been studied for decades.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
You never really know.

But I am not going to worry too much about it. Most all living things are affected by viruses, but it is a very rare one that causes extinction of a species. It is a disadvantage for the virus, in evolutionary terms, for it to kill off all of it's hosts. A lot of viruses are species specific, so if all of the hosts die, then so does that version of the virus. If a percentage survive, some even carrying the virus, the virus can mutate again to reproduce in the host species.

I think.
I'm not a virologist.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm positive it's just because of it's name but this one kinda gives me the chills.

Originally posted by butcherguy
You never really know.

But I am not going to worry too much about it. Most all living things are affected by viruses, but it is a very rare one that causes extinction of a species. It is a disadvantage for the virus, in evolutionary terms, for it to kill off all of it's hosts. A lot of viruses are species specific, so if all of the hosts die, then so does that version of the virus. If a percentage survive, some even carrying the virus, the virus can mutate again to reproduce in the host species.

I think.
I'm not a virologist.

I don't know.. Evolution makes mistakes too.. that's how it grows.
But your'e right, we shouldn't be worrying about this.. Its out of our control anyway...(?)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
There was also a similar "scare" with SARS - yet, do you actually know how many people have died from SARS since 2002? 775! Wow, so freaking scary! Such an ELE! No - no, not really!

Seriously, we have nothing to be afraid of. Mankind has existed for a long time - we have good robust immune systems, even with the disadvantages of "medicines".

We'll be quite alright. If there's to be an ELE virus of some sort, it'd either be manmade (i.e. made in a lab and leaked - which is a scary possibility) or it'd be an unknown spaceborne virus - yeah, seriously; like a virus from space (e.g. transported from some random meteorite etc) which we're ill-equipped to deal with. There's also the possibility that a half-virus, half-alien lifeform (e.g. foreign microbes, DNA etc etc) could be transported across space and onto Earth and wouldn't mix well with humanity. But the chances of such are very, very low.

You have more chance of being shot, run over, dying in a plane crash etc etc than being harmed by this big and scary virus!

top topics

join