It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious will be a global minority by 2025

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

A Gallup-Win survey found 39% of people were atheist and nonreligious in the world and 59% were religious. There was a 9% drop in the self-declared religious from the 2005 to the 2012 poll.

This is actually quite astonishing to believe. If you would have asked me I would have said, based on my personal experience, that somewhere around 80% of our population were religious based.

- Global not religious will be 55% by 2025 - Global Athiest/Agnostic will be 20+% by 2025 - Global Athiest/Agnistic will be the number one category by 2040 with 35+%

And this my friends is what I call hope. Hope that we will no longer have a society bound by the "moral" constraints placed on science and politics that have been dictated by religion, for example gay marriage and cloning. We will now begin to govern ourselves based on our own accepted laws and codes based on logic and reasoning.

And to appease those who want to believe in a creator and science I say this: Being atheist/agnostic does not mean you have disproved or don't believe in a creator. It means you have not found the proof of it yet. I say this personally as well because I believe there is some sort of unnatural order to our universe which may ultimately lead to the discovery of some sort of design. And my scientific backing of this belief comes from new-found mathematics behind the early state of our universe. But that is another discussion.

Welcome to the next stage in human development. A global community shifting to a single mind.

NextBigFuture
edit on 7-7-2013 by Dynamike because: Add link

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see how religion will play a role in the future. With the various battles and crashes in the Middle East, controversial politics, etc. It feels like religion is only for the serious followers. There are better alternatives out there. I'm an atheist and I feel free that I don't have to follow the rules of another man.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
S & F.

Hope that is correct, what with so much violence and lunacy perpetrated in the name of religion. Trouble is, humans being humans, I don't doubt the freaks among us will latch on to some other silly reason / justification to continue being uncivilized.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by setibuddies
S & F.

Hope that is correct, what with so much violence and lunacy perpetrated in the name of religion. Trouble is, humans being humans, I don't doubt the freaks among us will latch on to some other silly reason / justification to continue being uncivilized.

Bingo. A world without religion is every atheist's wet dream but they are in for a surprise when people still act like #&@holes and find other reasons to kill each other. We don't need the concept of God to act like jerks. Just ask the soviets.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

Religions may be downplayed by 2025 as far as people not subscribing to and particular religion. But I think that much of the Western world will be populated by Deists instead.

Most religions are not that violent these days, though some of their folloers may be. But I don't think that Islam will just give in without one.

I guess we'll see what happens after the war.

edit on 7-7-2013 by TDawgRex because: Fat Paws

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Religious will be a global minority by 2025

Things sway and trend... like a pendulum on a clock. Back during the late '60s and early '70s, religion was on a decline then as well... and so was patriotism. Heck, even old GI Joe gave up his uniform and weapons to become an outdoorsman and adventurer.

American woman, stay away from me
American women, mama let me be
Don't come hangin' around my door
I don't wanna see your face no more
I don't need your war machine
I don't need your ghetto scenes
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes
Now woman, I said stay away
American woman, listen what I say.

Guess Who - 1969

Of course, things change when that pendulum swings the other way again. From the early-mid '80's through the mid '90s, religion in America was on the rise. And with the arrival of Pope John Paul II, even the Catholic Church saw a vast increase in membership and attendance.

Oh... and as for old GI Joe? He got his uniform and guns back and went on to see a movie made for the big screen.

Times, they are a-changing and the will continue to change. I guess that's why predicting the future has never dome well for psychics... or in this case, science

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I would be interested to see a further breakdown of the 39% atheists or non-religious.

I am not at all religious, but I have a firm belief in God and do consider myself spiritual.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Religion never dies, it just changes... one belief system for the next.. as long as man kind can't accept that it doesn't know everything, some form of religion will exist.. and if not religion, silly superstition.. which to me is one and the same.

We have a tendency to make up answers to questions too big to answer.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

We have a tendency to make up answers to questions too big to answer.

Indeed we do. That's why we need so many 'experts' (or desk'perts, lol) to tell us what to do... and until we realize that the term today means little or nothing, we'll continue to bite the hook.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Originally posted by setibuddies
S & F.

Bingo. A world without religion is every atheist's wet dream but they are in for a surprise when people still act like #&@holes and find other reasons to kill each other. We don't need the concept of God to act like jerks. Just ask the soviets.

Even the Soviets were happy to use relion as a tool of war in WW2. Religion may not make people act like jerks but, it is used to manipulate others into going along with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   

And this my friends is what I call hope. Hope that we will no longer have a society bound by the "moral" constraints placed on science and politics that have been dictated by religion, for example gay marriage and cloning. We will now begin to govern ourselves based on our own accepted laws and codes based on logic and reasoning.

LOL. Funny you should say that. The bible says people would say what you have said.

2 Tim 4:1-4

1I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

Govern yourselves based upon your own desires, like an animal devoid of any sense of morality, using the tissues of murdered unborn babies to further your perverse "sciences". Science itself is just a tool, what you would do with it is what makes it evil.

"Based on logic and reasoning?" There is nothing logical in what you propose, it is nothing but smoke and mirrors. You steal hope and deliver death while promoting your Frankenstein lack of ethics.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Welcome to the next stage in human development. A global community shifting to a single mind.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
talking about religions

guess who silently admits he's a Muslim

countdowntozerotime.com...-122

Obama Tells Egyptian Minister That He Is A Muslim
Jul07
on July 7, 2013
Posted In: africa, america, Egypt, OBAMA, usa
Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit said, “Obama told me he is still a Muslim, who supports the Muslim agenda.”

Aboul Gheit made this statement on Nile-TV. Here is a report on the incident by Israeli Today, an Egyptian magazine:...

link to the short article, obama implies he lied to the American People... but that the facts that his Father and Step-Father were both Muslims should have made it clear to the voters that he was one too...its the dumb sheeples problem not his...besides he is in the lame duck 2nd term & he can be more flexible now---about revealing his hidden agendas and such

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
That is a GROSS exaggeration.

In the United states alone, a mere 3-5% of the population identify themselves as atheists, while 60%+ percent identify with one of the big religions. The rest are "not religious", not atheist, theist, or agnostic. They don't do much thinking to begin with. In any case, I can't see the religious becoming a minority by 2025.

That is a ludicrous prediction. Perhaps 2050 would be more modest.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

hasn't Russia always been inundated by Catholicism?

No one can claim Russia has ever been atheist, or even free from the putrid grasp of religion.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Doesn't every CULT tell you not to listen to those who criticize your beliefs

All you have presented is the cult like nature of Christianity.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Technology is leading to the progression of a global culture.

One that doesn't tell a chapter of a sky god in order to feel safe being as they are.

It's technology, baby. Get used to it. More good things coming up in the pages yet to be written.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I follow Jesus and I'm glad to get rid of religion....I'm in a relationsip....not a religion...
I see most are still looking for that answer in this reality. Silly boys....your own morals will trick you, you are in a war....a spiritual war....I demand the truth to be instilled in your hearts...in your heads..... take that, babeTruth is coming to you, take your time to realize it.....I have demanded for you....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Most of my friends are anti-religion.

Just remember, if you're religious, you probably hang out with mostly religious people, and vice versa.

I don't hang out with religious people in general because I find them very two faced and closed minded. Not saying that you're this way, just in general.

Most Christians I know only act Christian on Sundays, and are some of the nastiest, intolerant bigots during the rest of the week.

Most atheists I know are much more open to reason and common sense, and willing to discuss challenges to their ideas or belief systems.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

You people "religion is bad" crowd have an overly simplistic idea of the problem.

These are the facts: atheistic communism killed hundreds of millions of people. Why? DOGMATIC utopian beliefs.

The issue seems to be dogmatism, not religion. Any ideology which takes its article beliefs too seriously can morph into a violent and dangerous creed. When the religious acknowledge the arbitrariness of their beliefs - and the secular non religious as well - than communication can occur. And compromise will soon follow.

All it takes is a little intellectual humility.

In my mind, there is little difference between abd malik ibn warwan (Caliph who spread Islam by the sword) or any of the so-called "new atheists" - Hawkins, Harris, Dennet, PZ Myers, etc. Give these latter people the power, and the religious would be violently expunged from the earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join