Dans Quebec

page: 1

join

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Bonjour!

Je suis dans Quebec pour primiere fois. I am up here taking a 5 week full immersion French course that I need for college back the states. It's pretty awesome.

So far i've tried escargot, horse meat, and fois gras. Oh, and the Canadian favorite, poutine, as well. Here are my experiences with each one:

Escargot: I ordered it with a creamy butter sauce. It tasted like mushrooms, same texture, similar taste. Just kind of bland by itself.

Horse meat: The package said 40% fewer calories than beef with 50% more protein than beef. Totally good for you. It was okay. The leanest meat i've ever had, virtually zero fat and a similar tast to beef. Even cooked black and blue it's tough to chew through.

Fois gras: Never again, maybe. My palate was pretty confused on what to think of it. It has the texture of a buttery fat, very easy to bite through, with a funky cheese-like, or dry-aged beef-like taste. In one way, I found it very interesting. In another way, I didn't like the texture or flavor. I was happy when it was all gone.

Poutine: French fries with cheese curds and gravy on top. The possible toppings and combinations are endless. Pretty awesome stuff, especially when drinking. How this is canada's national dish and they're not the fattest country in the world, i'll never know

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Good to see you are not picky. I like horse meat.

Best meat I've ever tried is armadillo, you got to try it. Guinea pigs are delicious too.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

What part of Quebec are you in ? Every region in Quebec , hopefully you will discover has there own typical cuisine !! Poutine is NOT our national dish !! There is a more traditional breakfast item called Cretons that you might like better than foie gras !

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Ah my dear, I am so envious. Do you know that Quebec has more chefs per capita than other places? The discoveries you can make are endless! Yes poutine was the brainchild of a Quebecker and if made with cheese curds, it is an experience 'sans pareil'.

I don't care for horsemeat. Bison and kangaroo I believe are the leanest meats. As for escargots, no cream for moi. I like the garlic butter-wine sauce. My favourite used to be 'rognons flambés', a dish of flamed small kidneys in wine sauce cooked at your table and so yummy, but so rich in cals.

Congratulations on your whole experience. If you remain positive with an eye out for discovering new things, I can promise you that there's lots and lots and lots more to find.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

I like the garlic butter-wine sauce.

Now, that's something would try with other meats too. Any recipe ?

Maybe I know it with another name.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have eaten horse meat, it was a mixture of beef and pork in burgers. Actually pretty tasty from what I remember from when I was a kid.

Snails

Now this Poutine sounds really interesting to me. I'll have to investigate the chemistry of it. It sounds like it would taste great, I guess it is worth experimenting with and finding out possible health benefits from preparing this and the antidote from overeating it.

I would guess that the antidote would be vitamin K1 or K2 containing foods, I'll have to investigate what it is usually served with or what condiments it usually has.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Right now i'm living in trois-rivieres. I'm looking forward to visiting Quebec city and Montreal. I LOVE trying new cuisines, and predominantly being a carnivore, I love trying new meats and stuff. I've had kangaroo jerky, and it was fantastic. My girlfriend lives on a bison farm and we have that a lot. Still for me, though, you can't beat a nice ribeye from the cow.

I'm always on the look out for new and interesting foods. I'll try any food once. Any recommendations on foods and/or restaurants within 50km or so of trois-rivieres?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Bonjour.

Je suis Québecois.

Escargot: French Cuisine as in France. It is served in restaurants all over the world and certainly not associated with Québec.

Horse meat: My whole family (it is a rather large one) is from Québec, and have never heard of anyone eating horse meat within the last 50 years. My grandpa told me they used to eat it during and after the war (which he served in). We prefer deer and moose meat, sometimes bear even.

Fois gras: Another European dish, that is mostly served in classy American and European restaurants, this is not a popular dish in Canada for several reasons (blame Pamela Anderson
)

Poutine: At least you gone one right...Quebec is the home of the best poutines on earth. They start getting good just North of Montréal, and they get better the farther north you travel. If you get the chance visit a "casse-croûte" and you will have the best poutine you ever tasted.

It's funny how many false stereotypes are associated with Canada.

By the way, Canadian Bacon is a joke we play on Americans.

I dare you to order a pizza in Canada and ask for Canadian bacon, they will laugh at you and say "You mean ham right?"

edit on 7/7/2013 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Okay, I must correct myself.

After further research, horse meat is much more popular in Canada than I was aware about.

(FYI...I have never once heard one person tell me they have tried horse meat)

www.cbc.ca...

Oh, and I hope you enjoy your visit!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

My family is from the eastern townships and I'm in the Outaouais ( Gatineau) . I have been to Trois Rivieres numerous times and I here the resto Saint- Antoine is excellent but I have never eaten there . For me a traditional meal would be fried barbotte ( catfish) with white sauce , fiddleheads and wild rice !

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Bonjour.

Je suis Québecois.

Escargot: French Cuisine as in France. It is served in restaurants all over the world and certainly not associated with Québec.

Horse meat: My whole family (it is a rather large one) is from Québec, and have never heard of anyone eating horse meat within the last 50 years. My grandpa told me they used to eat it during and after the war (which he served in). We prefer deer and moose meat, sometimes bear even.

Fois gras: Another European dish, that is mostly served in classy American and European restaurants, this is not a popular dish in Canada for several reasons (blame Pamela Anderson
)

Poutine: At least you gone one right...Quebec is the home of the best poutines on earth. They start getting good just North of Montréal, and they get better the farther north you travel. If you get the chance visit a "casse-croûte" and you will have the best poutine you ever tasted.

It's funny how many false stereotypes are associated with Canada.

By the way, Canadian Bacon is a joke we play on Americans.

I dare you to order a pizza in Canada and ask for Canadian bacon, they will laugh at you and say "You mean ham right?"

Hey, I never said these were Quebec-based cuisines, just what i've tried up here since i've been here, because we don't have these in the states. We do have fois gras, but it's only in super fancy restaurants. It's in the grocery store in trois-rivieres. Same with escargot. Horse meat has for the most part been illegal in the US, and even though it's legal now, it's impossible to find. I spent a few summers outside of toronto with family that lives up here but it was never for pleasure, and i never tried anything new. I honestly don't think i know anyone that believes canadian bacon is a different entity than ham. Being from pennsylvania, i've had more than my fair share of deer meat. It's okay, not my favorite. Moose was good, and I would like to try bear.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

No recipe as such. I just melt some butter, add some finely chopped onion, lemon pepper spice and garlic before adding wine to taste. That's my base sauce to which I may add some Worchestershire and soy sauce to taste, depending on what I'm cooking. Amounts vary according to the dish
edit on 7-7-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

Oh and on the topic of foie gras, Quebeckers like cretons, a pate made from veal and or pork. It's delicious on toast.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by Trueman

No recipe as such. I just melt some butter, add some finely chopped onion, lemon pepper spice and garlic before adding wine to taste. That's my base sauce to which I may add some Worchestershire and soy sauce to taste, depending on what I'm cooking. Amounts vary according to the dish

Oh and on the topic of foie gras, Quebeckers like cretons, a pate made from veal and or pork. It's delicious on toast.

I was thinking shrimps. Thanks.

new topics
top topics

join