It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for ATS Regarding the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
What direction is this America going in? Should we be worried about the drones, and N.S.A. spying and Homeland Security and the Patriot Act?

Am I delusional in thinking that the definition of terrorist will be broadened in accordance to the reaction of the people to the government's lock-down? How long until speaking an opinion that is valid and even supported by other freedom-loving nations is counted as terrorist activity?

Even if the country doesn't want to, it may fear the stability of the government (the instability that it caused by its own decision-making) is at stake and therefore take away freedom of speech.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? The congressional approval rating is 10% and there is almost universal disapproval of N.S.A. spying without oversight, I think people are finding it hard to see Snowden as the bad guy here - and the economy is in bad shape, as well.

Even the incident where the E.U. forced down the Bolivian president's plane was because the White House asked them to, more than likely, and now that they made Russia and South America mad what are they going to think about the U.S. who got them into that situation diplomatically?

And does anyone else find that movie "White House Down" to be suspiciously timely? I want to think everything is okay, but I'm not sure it really is?
edit on 7-7-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Also, 15,000 Russian Troops headed to defend Washington D.C. - was that a legit article? Thread Here

I was wondering about the source, The European Union Times, and found this This is just a side-note somewhat related, because I was wondering how accurate that article was today.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Hey darkbake!

Sadly my honest instinct is that not much at all is going to happen in the short term to upset the status-quo. That is not to day that things aren't likely to get worse - as they almost surely will. But I think that they will stay just good enough for the foreseeable future that the masses will remain focused upon subjective and selfish pursuits rather than coming out of their shells enough to be outraged.

The people in charge have learned the recipe for apathy quite well and they know that as long as we have TV, the 'Net, enough gas money to get back and forth to work, food in the fridge, and something to fear? We will stay docile, quiet, and accepting the whip whenever it's offered - just as long as it's not inappropriately focused upon us as opposed to others.

The folks in power are going to float this bubble and ride this wave as long as they possibly can.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

The same thing happened last year, when there was rumour that Nuclear war was going to start with Iran almost at the same time than the US elections, and at the same time they've made a series called Revolution.

It's like that at each years.

edit on 7-7-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thanks, I think that sounds accurate, the question is what the breaking point would be, and if we ever reach it, there always is one, in theory right? I should probably do some travelling if I can one of these days to get a feel for what other countries are like to gain some perspective. But I kind of do like human rights and freedom and I'm not convinced we are headed in that direction here. :-)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

The breaking point IMO will come when the Fed can no longer keep the economy artificially stabilized with fiat currency. When that happens hyperinflation will likely occur on an unprecedented and instant level - creating a situation where a day or even a weeks work wouldn't even purchase a loaf of bread... if there were actually any bread to purchase in the first place.

As for what might herald that? I don't think the precious metals bubble, nor the reemerging real estate bubble, nor the inflated DOW could do it alone... but if any of those topple and China were to cut off credit to the US? That would probably make it happen.

The needles point our entire society is precariously perched upon is consumerism and economics. As long as those things are relatively stable - so is our society.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

This is from a game in the 80's or early 90's I think? My friend showed me it the other day, it is hilarious - it is from Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich I think, and this is a boss theme for Nuclear Winter.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

You are correct, I think economics tends to fuel revolution more than idealism, or even can be the driving force behind the idealism. Unless policy changes come from younger generations through Democratic means, that is the other possibility imo.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Questions for ATS

With a title like that, which would include many members from different countries around the world, then followed by...

Originally posted by darkbake
What direction is this country going in? Should we be worried about the drones, and N.S.A. spying and Homeland Security and the Patriot Act?

Nope, same old Americans are the only people who are or should be members here.

Change the title to "Questions for Americans though everyone's input is also welcome.

Waiting for one day an American to create a thread requesting BAN! the rest of the world we run this site! (unless you own a gun) that`ll be full of stars and flags.

Should we be worried about the drones, and N.S.A. spying and Homeland Security and the Patriot Act?

Yes you all should be worried, no scratch that you guys should be outraged at how far its got let alone where its headed. But that's not only your country heading in that direction, though leading the way.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gps777

That's a good point, there really is a tendency in America for Americans to forget the rest of the world exists, which I did on accident (I know a lot about geography and a bit less about world politics). I changed it, thanks.

And also, exactly what I was thinking, even though the U.S. is headed that direction so are other countries. So... an economic breaking point? I wonder if there could also be a political breaking point.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Should we be worried about the drones, and N.S.A. spying and Homeland Security and the Patriot Act?

This is so scary it made me laugh. Just by the mere fact that there is an NSA, Homeland Security and Patriot Act, yes YES we should be very worried.

Government agencies might start out with good intentions, but what do these agencies do once they're up and running? Answer, the people in these agencies must constantly show reason why said agencies are needed, else they all lose their jobs.

The military starts out as a force to keep the peace and to protect. But, what does the military need in order to validate its existence: War.

What does the CIA (and all equivalents in other countries) need to validate its existence: Global conflict.

Be it a politician, a general, a spy, or a janitor, every individual has one top priority in mind - job security.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Awesome!

Cool, thanks for the link! I actually love oldies

link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Yeah I think that explains it really well, actually. Even starting with (debatable) good intentions this explains how organizations like this go downhill. Thanks, JiggerJ

And it is pretty bad...

Although I worry about younger generations who grow up being used to this. For example, in 10th grade, my high school put in security cameras and we were all extremely pissed. I kind of rode the last wave of freedom through the school system - in 8th grade, we used to use the computer labs to make games, and they were violent ones - although sometimes puzzle games - inspired by action movies.

But Columbine happened that year, and the policies changed and we couldn't anymore, and we thought that was messed up because it was just for fun.

During the Bush era, the Patriot Act was under discussion because everyone thought that it was a bad idea to take away the rights of other non-American citizens - and now we even have Democrats, apparently, supporting taking away civil liberties from our own citizens.

It just seems like it's going in the wrong direction. I was a physics major, so I know about vectors - you can figure out the direction something is going by taking two sample points in time.

I think of it more like velocity, though - but still. Our velocity seems to be towards less freedoms.

link   
reply to post by swanne

I thought it was a good one! The point was that it represents a perceived threat at a certain point in time that never happened (yet)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Good one darkbake

It happens all too frequently on here and I wasn`t singling you out (just seen too much of it and went ahhh!), its a topic that affects many of us around the world and in that we are united.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Are we worried about another Hitler or Stalin showing up, declaring his or her set of moral values as absolute and declaring others traitors?

In a moral vacuum, statism is a danger. In America, it would be corporate statism.

Are we worried about a 1984, where every move of yours is tracked?

That's here - the question is, will it be used to force everyone to act in the manner most effective for the state and corporate interests?

Are we worried about a Farenheit 451, where books are burned and access to information is limited?

Possibly, the question is, why would access to that information be limited? Because it could be used to enlighten people to a better government that would actually benefit individuals instead of corporate interests?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

I wanted to add one thing - using science as a moral compass is not a good idea, because science hasn't developed far enough, and neither has psychology, to be accurate moral compasses.

I would say after science successfully investigates and measures spiritualism, it might be qualified.

At the moment, science trying to dictate values and ethics without even acknowledging the existence of the individual experience seems a bit out of its league.

This is why we have separation of church and state - so the state can be ran in a secular fashion, and each individual gets his or her own belief system, or to join a specific religion they can tell benefits them personally while still following the state laws.

This is only my opinion though.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I am most troubled by the latest news that only 47% of american adults are employed full time. That is the real recipe for trouble.

In order for there not to be a run on banks or any other self imposed crisis by the American people, the people need to trust the government.

Obama has spent the last 5 years trying to convince the American people how awful they are, by telling foreign countries at every opportunity, by pointing out every perceived fault, by name calling (ie people who cling to their bibles etc.). He seems to have succeeded. He has convinced many people that America is inherently bad and can no longer be trusted. His concerted effort to make American's see their faults and own up to them has worked. So the majority of Americans, do not trust congress by a wide margin and about half don't trust Obama.

Obama succeeded unintentionally - by forcing American's to self "examine" their faults as he sees them and to loathe America as a country/government (ie by making the flag a despised symbol etc) - the government removed any semblance of trust.

How can one trust what is perceived as bad/evil (America) when even the leader is constantly telling everyone that America is bad/evil.

They way I see it we are headed for something like Egypt if American's can not be convinced their government is good again and working for them and not secretly trying to undermine them and forcibly trying to change thought through intimidation. (ie IRS, NSA, black panthers at polling stations, black mobs being allowed to hunt down white people for sport (what they see as justified retribution)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

IMO, if this Obamacare fiasco is as bad as some predict and does cost the average American to lose the ability to watch TV, view the net, buy gas and have adequate food and their home...that could be the tipping point.

Many of us are already near the edge....and a huge increase in spending on health care....whether it be taxes, premiums or co-pays, could send many of us out of the middle class for good.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The military starts out as a force to keep the peace and to protect. But, what does the military need in order to validate its existence: War.

Thats the problem with standing armies; they get tired of "standing around".

<<   2 >>

join