It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rings Of Saturn - Possible Encoded Message?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
we,ll also need to look at the rings of Neptune and Uranus, are they add-ons, footnotes, unused extra data storage etc..

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raizekas
reply to post by Ostracized

I don't know much about these things, but as I understand, the voice is created by compressing the air around us, so theorically there shouldnt' be any voice in space, yes?

Correct.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

My theory is we should try to replicate the pattern of the Rings exactly onto a vinyl record and see if it plays anything back.

How?
Vinyl record's grooves are SPIRAL.
Saturn's rings are.circles, unless there has been some new discovery i'm not aware of.

Cool idea, anyway.

It would be too good to be true...

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Krokodil

Indeed, it is really just the idea that the Rings may contain information some how encoded. I posted later about possibly using lasers here. This is all obviously extremely hypothetical and I state that earlier here too.

I realize the probability of this being correct is extremely low if not impossible, you should of read more of the thread me thinks.

But hey, this is ATS. The land of the fringe, home of the thought provoking threads.

p.s. If it is true I claim copyrights and trademarks for the idea.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
lets assume that an Alien race left a message in the rings of Saturn that can be played like a phonograph record I think that no.1 was advanced enough to come here in the first place no.2 and leave a planet sized message made out of what would most likely have been one of Saturns moons no.3 why is it a welcome, a warning, or a note from Mom and Dad letting us know when they'll be home no.4 what happens when they get home and are pissed off at how we left the place. The rings were first observed in the 1,600 so we know they've been there that long but at that time there was no way play back any message but could have estimated the time needed for man to advance it's technology enough to play back the message so with the advent of the phonograph in the late 1800's and the construction of the two telescopes at the Mt Wilson Observatory in the early 1900's telescope photos of the rings from 1910 to 1940 should hold the most promise.

reply to: mcx1942

edit on 12-7-2015 by MrValley because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MrValley

Thanks for bumping this thread, never saw it before and it's at least an original idea that some non-original script writer should pick up (and give appropriate credit, non-original script writer!). A fun idea.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

A little problematic though. The rings are composed of billions of objects of varying sizes which are constantly being moved around by gravitational forces. If there's a message there it's well and truly scrambled.

Sorry.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Or very tricky gravitational encryption? To think it's a message though is like saying a there's hidden binary code in a plague of locusts that when decoded says something profound about where all the lost socks go.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krokodil

My theory is we should try to replicate the pattern of the Rings exactly onto a vinyl record and see if it plays anything back.

How?
Vinyl record's grooves are SPIRAL.
Saturn's rings are.circles, unless there has been some new discovery i'm not aware of.

I have some vinyl records with lock grooves which are circles, they play a short sound or sample and it loops forever. Replicating the rings of Saturn onto a vinyl record isn't really realistic though.

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Of course I know that it's not possible to encode a message in the rings, or even a song (although "Stairway to Heaven" perhaps?). Just commenting on how it's possibly an original idea and a good short story writer, novelist, or screenwriter could run with it and give the public a "Wha??" moment. Remember, Sagan did that thing in 'Contact' where he envisioned an encoded something from something (not going to say what, Spoiler Alert conscious), and that too is impossible (or....is it? Well, yes.), so the public can put aside its knowledge (or in most cases lack of knowledge) and just enjoy an interesting although impossible concept, which I did when reading the OP.

edit on 12-7-2015 by Aleister because: pi

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
I'm fine with suspending disbelief to a certain extent when it comes to fiction. But this one takes it a bit too far.

This, on the other hand. This is really good.
www.goodreads.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Maybe the rings are each separate lines of data that combine to make a complete message

a reply to: Krokodil

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrValley
Maybe the rings are each separate lines of data that combine to make a complete message

a reply to: Krokodil

To play with your scenario (fiction, but interesting fiction), the size of each ring and the distance between each ring may have encoded data which can be ferried out by a laser scanner, as previous posters to this thread said. Sort of like a giant DVD (movie folk take note, a film with a good 30 minutes focused right on the rings of Saturn could be a crowd pleaser). By the way, how much distance is there between one ring and the next? Is the space between the rings totally clear of debris, and how will the moons fit into the coded sequence? I'm not saying this is real, but as a mental image game it raises the question of what mechanics would be used to make the rings of Saturn into some kind of Navaho code talker of the cosmos. Much has already been detailed on this thread, and after it's been off-radar for a long time maybe some new concepts could be brought out in this thread's scenario which weren't mentioned or analyzed enough previously.
edit on 12-7-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the book recommendation, 'Saturn' by Ben Bova. Never heard of it, but hopefully will have some attention on it next trip to a used bookstore or library.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join