It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rings Of Saturn - Possible Encoded Message?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
First off, thank you for stopping by and giving this thread a look. I have not made a thread in a while and I really enjoy trying to create new threads that have thought provoking ideas. I am not stating in this thread that my idea is reality or fiction, it is just an idea.

This idea came from a post I made on a Saturn thread here from a while back. It has been percolating around in my head from time to time since then and I just thought it would be an interesting topic for a thread. So, hopefully this sparks some imagination and thanks again for checking it out.

Original Post Here:www.abovetopsecret.com...
(not my most prolific post
heh)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rings Of Saturn. Could They Be A Message From The Stars?

To my eyes the Rings of Saturn appear to be very similar to what record grooves look like. Is it possible the Rings themselves could be a hidden message encoded within our Solar System? Encrypted in plain sight, just patiently waiting to be discovered and finally have it's voice heard after countless eons?

My theory is we should try to replicate the pattern of the Rings exactly onto a vinyl record and see if it plays anything back.

How thick are the Rings and what are they made of?

Saturn's rings are incredibly thin. The main rings are generally only about 30 feet (10 meters) thick, though parts of the main and other rings can be several kilometers thick. The rings are made of dusty ice, in the form of boulder-sized and smaller chunks that gently collide with each other as they orbit around Saturn. Saturn's gravitational field constantly disrupts these ice chunks, keeping them spread out and preventing them from combining to form a moon. The rings have a slight pale reddish color due to the presence of organic material mixed with the water ice
source

Sounds have been captured of Saturn's Rings. Could this also be another part of the mystery to be combined with information gathered from deciphering the Ring's pattern?

Is it possible the combined audio and visual display that is Saturn, is actually an encoded message left for us to decipher?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to Know How Record Players Work?
-An awesome vintage 1958 video. It is essentially a commercial for it's product but I love the old way they explain how it works.(no need to watch in entirety, explanation comes within first minute. Just sets a cool mood)

If one was to recreate the Rings, they would have to do it in portions I would imagine, because the question of scale comes to mind. I'm sure it would be a daunting task to try to replicate the grooves. Maybe that's why it has not been done yet, lack of resources.

The ring system of Saturn is divided into 5 major components: the G, F, A, B, and C rings, listed from outside to inside (but in reality, these major divisions are subdivided into thousands of individual ringlets). The F and G rings are thin and difficult to see, while the A, B, and C rings are broad and easily visible. The large gap between the A ring and and the B ring is called the Cassini division.

(sense of scale)
Ring Name: A
Distance*: 122,050 km - 136,770 km/ 75,838 mi - 84,984 mi
Width: 14,600 km/ 9,072 mi

Ring Name: B
Distance*: 91,980 km - 117,580 km/ 57,153 mi - 73,060 mi
Width: 25,500 km/ 15,844 mi
* The distance is measured from the planet center to the start of the ring.

The rings of Saturn have puzzled astronomers ever since they were discovered by Galileo in 1610, during the first telescopic observations of the night sky. The puzzles have only increased since Voyagers 1 and 2 imaged the ring system extensively in 1980 and 1981.

High resolution photographs from the Voyager missions indicate that the rings of Saturn are composed of hundreds of thousands of "ringlets", and that regions like the largest "gap" called the Cassini division, also contain fainter rings. The rings cannot be solid, because they lie inside the Roche limit. They presumably represent either a satellite torn apart by tidal forces, or (more likely) material that was never allowed to condense into moons because of the tidal forces. The evidence indicates that the rings are composed of particles that are mostly ice crystals, with sizes as large as centimeters or meters. The total mass in the rings is about the size of a medium mass moon, and the rings are only about 10 km thick.
source

I wonder if anyone has attempted this. It would be an interesting experiment. Sadly I lack the technical know how, ingenuity and good looks to pull this off.

Saturn's Rings - Links For Own Exploration

Seti - pds-rings.seti.org...
Nasa - Internal Search Engine(tons of info): search.nasa.gov...
Hubblesite - Internal Search Engine(tons of info): hubblesite.org...

This is all just theoretical and I do not pretend to know any answers on any of this. I just enjoy thinking outside the box. One thing is for sure, the Rings of Saturn will continue to puzzle our species along with all the other marvels of the Universe that we continue to unravel.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
wooowww cool..how can we get there like curiosity did???

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
You do know they are not perfectly stable right? They are small bits of ice and dust spinning about and not a solid ring like a groove on a record.

However, the rings can be used similar to a seismograph!

The entire planet can vibrate like a bell within periods of a few hours, and these oscillations cause gravitational tugs that, in turn, create the spiral patterns in the rings. The cause of the vibrations remains unknown.

Cornell Uni Source

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

i think its a brilliant idea!
a message waiting to be made into a record?
although it could be a new type of space music
a bangin' dance track or a classic classical piece

but i like the way you think hombre, one to think about for sure

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Saturn's rings is made of dust. It's not solid. The orbits are statistical probabilities but the rings physically keeps changing.

It'd be like dumping sand unto a record disc player. Not only will the sound be a bit uncomfortable to hear, it'll change each randomly each time one will try to play back a part.

Nice observation, though!

edit on 7-7-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

So i never post. Like ever. But I had to say how much I love this idea. I have no idea how to go about it myself, but i know for a fact theres people on ATS who could!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
vinyl will never die !!!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
This is an extremely fascinating post. What an incredibly interesting idea. I really hope that one day, scientists are able to do this, and are able to discover a hidden message in Saturn's rings.

S&F for such a captivating idea.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

I love the idea, but is all the debris that makes up Saturn's ring in a fixed position? I don't think so.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

I have always been fascinated with Saturn. I often listen to the Cassini signals given sound, it has a very strange almost hypnotic effect on me.

I would think that a HD photo along with a 3D printer would work. 3D printer is doable. How to get those HD photos would be the issue.

I have enjoyed your questions.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Sadly I have to agree with previous posters who have pointed out that the rings are inconstant and too chaotic to hold any hidden messages ( at least in the way you have theorized ). But I did want to comment to say that I am very impressed with the out of the box thinking that led you to asking this question. Keep it up! You might swing and miss a few times... but when you finally do connect? It's going to be a home run.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

But what if the orbits were just layered over eachother based on each ones radius, and perhaps velocity. Could we apply a frequency to that? It could just be white noise.

Im also applying a digital editing aspect instead of vinyl in my thinking.
edit on 7-7-2013 by GreenManXphile because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Excellent theory well done. Having read peoples objections using the idea that the ring debris would not be stable, I can see your reasoning. But what if this was precisely what was intended in designing the signal? The debris moving could be perceived the same way we measure earthquakes or for instance, when we listen to music on our computer there is a bar that measures bass and volume throughout which moves up down and across. Just thinking outside the box. S+F op

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Rings forming, they could possibly store information. I can't say that the possibility does not exist. Remember though, the earth, along with other planets, actually rides in a sort of ring but we cannot readily see the ring. Information is stored on earth, we are part of the storage process as is all life here. Good thread your perception can be expanded and applied to many things. Information forms everything, a communication links all matter. DNA acts as an antenna utilizing frequencies, changing frequencies contribute to evolution.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the comments guys!

Since the Rings are not static then perhaps there could be a way to have a satellite read it as if it were the laser eye within a cd player. Even then I would imagine it is not as easy as it sounds or it probably would of been done already. Maybe even, there have been scientists that have pondered this but lack of resources have kept them from testing the idea.

Perhaps our technology is not yet at a point to measure/read such data. I love thinking about these kind of topics!

edit on 7/7/2013 by mcx1942 because: spelling

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If there is information encoded then its going to have to be of sufficient size to be able to handle smaller bits of the ring hitting it so there will probably be a minimum size of object which should actually remove probably 99% of the ring and leave you with the required data....however deciphering that data is another problem

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
When they first released the "sounds" that the rings make I listened to them. Over and over and over. The sounds were haunting, yet incredibly beautiful.

Excellent post, OP.

ETA: It's going to suck when we spend all that money to build a vessel and transport the needle, only to find out when we get there someone forgot to pack the little yellow spacer.

edit on 7-7-2013 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mcx1942

Thinking "outside the box" is fun and someday that kind of thinking will be what leads to truths that lay hidden.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenManXphile
reply to post by Hefficide

But what if the orbits were just layered over eachother based on each ones radius, and perhaps velocity. Could we apply a frequency to that?

Yes, you could find a frequency to the speed (I'm thinking about de Broglie's formula). Just don't forget the rings follow orbital speed as set by Newton's law on orbital speed.

Hm, wait, I think I know what you're thinking.

Are you thinking about converting the different ring speeds to frequency, and convert the position of the concerned ring into the position of the note in the song? This could indeed be interesting.

edit on 7-7-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I think this is highly relevant.

Please read this book:

The Ring Makers Of Saturn

And hear this amazing man!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join