It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"In Secret, Court Vastly Broadens Powers of NSA"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
Broad constitutional questions....like what the supreme court is supposed to do.

Or any District Court, really. In most broad Constitutional decisions, you will probably find that the Supreme Court was exercising appellate jurisdiction, not original jurisdiction. The original broad Constitutional decision came from somebody in Cleveland or Los Angeles or wherever. The Supreme Court does not have a monopoly on deciding whether or not something is Constitutional, they just have the last word.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I'm pretty sure putting all the Japanese americans in concentration camps wins that dubious prize.

This is a factually wrong statement. West coast Japanese were interned but not 'ALL" Japanese living in the United States were. At the time of internment there was a fear the Japanese would invade the western US. A terrible decision in the face of a surprise attack on US territory. The US population, at the time, was completely adverse to war. The Japanese government and military completely and utterly misunderstood what their actions would accomplish. Their actions led to the rise of the United States as a world power and led directly to the world we see today.

V

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

they're going after people for cyber attacks? they need look no further than their own front door. hell, they don't even have to go that far! they can stay inside and find tons of cyber attackers.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The committee employed secret agents abroad, conducted covert operations, devised codes and ciphers, funded propaganda activities, authorized the opening of private mail, acquired foreign publications for use in analysis, established a courier system, and developed a maritime capability apart from that of the Continental Navy, and engaged in regular communications with Britons and Scots who sympathized with the American cause. It met secretly in December 1775 with a French intelligence agent who visited Philadelphia under cover as a Flemish merchant.

Whaaa??? en.wikipedia.org... And that was Benjamin Franklin opening private mail, at the behest of many of the Founding Fathers. That was 250 years ago. Also in the 1800s Thomas Jefferson used a secret intelligence slush fund to fund the overthrow of a foreign nation's government... Same as it ever was... In fact if you google the Alien and Sedition act you'll see just how rife it was at one point... the US has a long history of spying on it's citizens, of using war as a justification for removing civil liberties and of secret court and laws... And btw goofball, FISA was made to REIGN IN the use of spying on US citizens, because of watergate.... it didn't start spying...
edit on 7-7-2013 by superannoyingreality because: (no reason given)

Hi and welcome to ATS (noticed you signed up today)
The date 1775 struck a chord with a spoof analogy (of meta data mining's origins) I came across today.
It can be argued that it is off topic but nontheless enlightening to readers how information analysis works.

Using meta data to find Paul Revere

edit on 7-7-2013 by bowaconstricta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by superannoyingreality

Originally posted by GrantedBail
reply to post by superannoyingreality

I have read a couple of books about J Edgar. I am well aware of his "filing system" as well as his surveillance of political figures. I know how he used to get down by writing to these politicians with veiled threats.

The technology is so much more advanced. The surveillance that is taking place now would make Hoover cream himself.

I can't stand that guy. He was such a punk.

Absolutely a punk.

The point is that he was COMPLETELY unaccountable. And a complete sociopath.

We don't live in that reality any more. Imagine if he'd had to go to FISA. You might think it wouldn't have changed anything, but I say at least there'd be a proper history of his craziness... and that proper history IS a kind of accountability.

It CAN ALWAYS be better... but the irony is that we live in a time of MORE oversight, of less government secrecy, than in the past...

LOL. so, nothing too see here, move along, citizen?

Please STOP trying to downplay this. You are, unlike FISA courts, extremely transparent.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snoopy1978

I have read a couple of books about J Edgar. I am well aware of his "filing system" as well as his surveillance of political figures. I know how he used to get down by writing to these politicians with veiled threats.

The technology is so much more advanced. The surveillance that is taking place now would make Hoover cream himself.

Absolutely a punk.

We don't live in that reality any more. Imagine if he'd had to go to FISA. You might think it wouldn't have changed anything, but I say at least there'd be a proper history of his craziness... and that proper history IS a kind of accountability.

It CAN ALWAYS be better... but the irony is that we live in a time of MORE oversight, of less government secrecy, than in the past...

Please STOP trying to downplay this. You are, unlike FISA courts, extremely transparent.

No use in arguing, hes a state minion here to defend and honor our beloved government from mouth breathing citizen scum like ourselves. Dear leader chairman maobama has assured him it is for his own good. He will guide his beloved sheeple to the promised land of authoritarianism, and a clean earth mother gia, so we just need to shut the hell up and like it. Constitution be damned.

I believe that pretty much sums up his defense, admitted or not, therefore reasoning would be futile.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pyramid head

Absolutely a punk.

No use in arguing, hes a state minion here to defend and honor our beloved government from mouth breathing citizen scum like ourselves. Dear leader chairman maobama has assured him it is for his own good. He will guide his beloved sheeple to the promised land of authoritarianism, and a clean earth mother gia, so we just need to shut the hell up and like it. Constitution be damned.

I believe that pretty much sums up his defense, admitted or not, therefore reasoning would be futile.

Yes, yes, everyone that wants a REAL conversation is a state minion.

FTR, what I am is someone that thinks a non-hyperbolic, non-paranoid, non-delusional plan to control these sorts of issues are more rational than pie-in-the-sky "plans" and flash-in-the-pan anger.

You wanna pretend this multi-decade old problem is something it's not? Go ahead... when you get a clue as to what you're really dealing with, join me in a meaningful conversation.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Absolutely a punk.

FTR, what I am is someone that thinks a non-hyperbolic, non-paranoid, non-delusional plan to control these sorts of issues are more rational than pie-in-the-sky "plans" and flash-in-the-pan anger.

You wanna pretend this multi-decade old problem is something it's not? Go ahead... when you get a clue as to what you're really dealing with, join me in a meaningful conversation.

Good sheeple, it is you that is quite delusional.....

Where in the enumerated powers is this granted to the government?
When you figure that out, get baaaaaaaack to me.

Arguing that is has been done before is not logical. It is unconstitutional. Whether people were too stupid to be angry in the past is of little relevance to me, it is now that I care about. You love Obama and hail big government, I get it. Some people were meant to be ruled, not everyone is a fan of freedom.

If you are such a fan of history youll have to inform me on who has killed more people in the last hundred years, terrorism or governments? It must be terrorism because from your tone you seem quite certain our government is acting on our behalf. I guess I am just being silly and irrational. In your defense though, America must be the only government of "evolved" human behavior, incapable of the historical tyranny of our other human ancestors.

We can all rest at ease, our government would never do anything crazy like test syphilis on its own people. It only does good. Those of you IDIOTS looking at the constitution, stop, its outdated, government knows best, give them whatever they say and shut your mouths sheeple, all hail big government.(this is sarcasm, not paranoia because what you are saying is sooo unbelievably ridiculous, this is how you sound)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Absolutely a punk.

Good sheeple, it is you that is quite delusional.....

Where in the enumerated powers is this granted to the government?
When you figure that out, get baaaaaaaack to me.

Arguing that is has been done before is not logical. It is unconstitutional. Whether people were too stupid to be angry in the past is of little relevance to me, it is now that I care about. You love Obama and hail big government, I get it. Some people were meant to be ruled, not everyone is a fan of freedom.

If you are such a fan of history youll have to inform me on who has killed more people in the last hundred years, terrorism or governments? It must be terrorism because from your tone you seem quite certain our government is acting on our behalf. I guess I am just being silly and irrational. In your defense though, America must be the only government of "evolved" human behavior, incapable of the historical tyranny of our other human ancestors.

We can all rest at ease, our government would never do anything crazy like test syphilis on its own people. It only does good. Those of you IDIOTS looking at the constitution, stop, its outdated, government knows best, give them whatever they say and shut your mouths sheeple, all hail big government.(this is sarcasm, not paranoia because what you are saying is sooo unbelievably ridiculous, this is how you sound)

Thank Mr Smartass.

I know the history of government, and the history of their treachery.

If you think my posts are pro-American government, you need to read them more carefully.

My posts about this matter point out that there is no secret past where everyone behaved super honestly (something you seem to know). That trying to make this issue about "now" instead about "people" is a joke.

The Founding Fathers did this. they also wrote the Constitution. The people that understood how important it was to NOT abuse power, abused power.

People, especially government, WILL spy and be criminal. That's not a question. Governments and society also help a hell of a lot of people in other ways. The two are not mutually exclusive.

If you WANT a government, then the best way to keep your privacy is to be REALISTIC about human nature and history, stop putting the past on a pedestal, and deal with the reality we all live in.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Joe Stalin is rolling over in his grave...pissed that he didn't have this technology to make his people safe too.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

My good sheeple,

You are referencing the founders like they support and did what your chairman maobama is doing? I refer you to my previous question,

Where does your beloved and mighty authoritarian big government under the enumerated powers get this power from?

Your love for the chairman has blinded you young sheeple, read the constitution and FREE yourself!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

...and nobody will do a damned thing about it until we're all wearing jumpsuits behind a razor wire fence. Then we'll just reminisce about the good ol' days.

Hopefully before the jumpsuits lol, yes there will be a day... It just takes one person to change the world, a spark can burn a forest.... They fear that spark in all of us. Technology is at a point now where one man can build an army of drones in his backyard, all the resources to fight back is in our backyard!

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

My good sheeple,

You are referencing the founders like they support and did what your chairman maobama is doing? I refer you to my previous question,

Where does your beloved and mighty authoritarian big government under the enumerated powers get this power from?

Your love for the chairman has blinded you young sheeple, read the constitution and FREE yourself!

First off, re-learn to speak non-forum-jerk English... your cute little Maobama crap is a serious detriment to intelligent conversation.

Second, the Founding Fathers, the people that wrote the constitution, opened private mail, without any oversight, and without any warrants. The only rule was that it was from a foreign sender.

Sound familiar?

You think I like authoritarian rule (even though I don't support Prism, or what Ben Franklin did), but I doubt you can even define Authoritarian. It doesn't mean "a government that stores your email metadata". For the record I am against authoritarianism.

You also think I'm pro-Obama. I'm not.

The problem you have is that you're in a little delusional bubble - not reality.

Until you come to grips with the ACTUAL world you live in, you're gonna be very frustrated and confused.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

My good sheeple,

First off, re-learn to speak non-forum-jerk English... your cute little Maobama crap is a serious detriment to intelligent conversation.

Second, the Founding Fathers, the people that wrote the constitution, opened private mail, without any oversight, and without any warrants. The only rule was that it was from a foreign sender.

Sound familiar?

You think I like authoritarian rule (even though I don't support Prism, or what Ben Franklin did), but I doubt you can even define Authoritarian. It doesn't mean "a government that stores your email metadata". For the record I am against authoritarianism.

The problem you have is that you're in a little delusional bubble - not reality.

Until you come to grips with the ACTUAL world you live in, you're gonna be very frustrated and confused.

Mr sheeple,

I am speaking this way because intelligent conversation is lost on you, you refuse to address a simple question that can really settle the debate. There lies the problem, most sheeple do not understand the way our government is supposed to work.

Take yourself for example, throughout the thread you keep referring to a Ben Franklin example, no matter how many times it has been pointed out by numerous posters that it is illogical or irrelevant to the conversation. You still repeat, like a sheep.

A logical and rational conversation on your part would be "spying is constitutional because..." then addressing said part of Constitution. But alas it is not, I know that, you may know that. You enjoy the chairmans rule because he agrees with you social positions therefore you will make excuses for anything his authoritarian government does. Thats what it is at the end of the day, because no free thinker or supporter of true liberalism would be okay with what is going on.

Rationalizing the intrusive criminal actions of the state, to save people from a problem that kills less people than bee stings or lightning strikes is irrational in nature. It can only be rationalized by the state making a power grab at the peoples expense, and this can only be accomplished by useless slaves who drool for their authoritarian god.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

My good sheeple,

Sound familiar?

Mr sheeple,

I am speaking this way because intelligent conversation is lost on you, you refuse to address a simple question that can really settle the debate. There lies the problem, most sheeple do not understand the way our government is supposed to work.

Take yourself for example, throughout the thread you keep referring to a Ben Franklin example, no matter how many times it has been pointed out by numerous posters that it is illogical or irrelevant to the conversation. You still repeat, like a sheep.

A logical and rational conversation on your part would be "spying is constitutional because..." then addressing said part of Constitution. But alas it is not, I know that, you may know that. You enjoy the chairmans rule because he agrees with you social positions therefore you will make excuses for anything his authoritarian government does. Thats what it is at the end of the day, because no free thinker or supporter of true liberalism would be okay with what is going on.

Rationalizing the intrusive criminal actions of the state, to save people from a problem that kills less people than bee stings or lightning strikes is irrational in nature. It can only be rationalized by the state making a power grab at the peoples expense, and this can only be accomplished by useless slaves who drool for their authoritarian god.

Don't fool yourself.

You equate "agreeing with you on everything" and "intelligence" which speaks a lot to yourintelligence.

As for the Franklin truth being unrelated; you HAVE to claim it's unrelated, because if you accept the LONG history of the US ignoring personal privacy you're entire worldview would go poof. Now, it might actually help you accomplish something meaningful, but you're not about accomplishing anything - are you? Just endless "Moabama" insults online, agitating for nonsensical outcomes, and ignoring new info if it contradicts your ideology.

That's pretty much the opposite of intelligent.

As for your ridiculous assertion that the only ration conclusion to reach is that, here, let me quote your gibberish:

It can only be rationalized by the state making a power grab at the peoples expense, and this can only be accomplished by useless slaves who drool for their authoritarian god.

Well, first it presupposes that anyone that thinks your short-sighted hyperbole is nonsense are "slaves" that "drool" for their "authoritarian" god. Now, leaving aside the fact that you don't know what authoritarian mean, there's no rational for the rest of the claim, that people that disagree with your extremist view are slaves. That's just you trying to make yourself look more "free" and "enlightened" than the "sheeple". That's YOUR delusion which your projecting onto others, to prevent your ego from coming to grasp with how typical you actually are.

Wanna really be free?

Learn history and realise that the problems we face now are just variations on what we've faced since the country's inception.... balancing safety and privacy being a good example. In fact the history of the US legal system is littered with oversteps and under-regulation.

But see, trying to understand history and the subtle (and no so subtle) connections between now and what's come before is ACTUALLY hard. It requires patience and a willingness to accept you DON'T know it all.

And these are things you don't have.

Best of luck in the future.
edit on 9-7-2013 by superannoyingreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
they will never change

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
7 things no other POTUS has had at one time: DHS, NDAA, Interment camps: ie Git mo, NSA, " P"act one and two, FISA, and SCOTUS saying they are legal.

Some things that where there:
SCOTUS,
Interment camps,
War powers act,
the right to invoke EO's.
To use the term "In the name of National Security" when deemed fit to do so even at the drop of a hat,
NDAA,
NSA,
CIA,
DoD,
DoJ,
and FBI;
see DHS for powers of enforcement www.dhs.gov...

So are we losing freedoms now, or have we lost freedoms and just now becoming aware of it. thius i give you

Executive Order

The President

Executive Order

Authorizing the Secretary of War to Prescribe Military Areas

Whereas the successful prosecution of the war requires every possible protection against espionage and against sabotage to national-defense material, national-defense premises, and national-defense utilities as defined in Section 4, Act of April 20, 1918, 40 Stat. 533, as amended Now, therefore, by virtue of the authority vested in me as President of the United States, and Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy, I hereby authorize and direct the Secretary of War, and the Military Commanders whom he may from time to time designate, whenever he or any designated Commander deems such action necessary or desirable, to prescribe military areas in such places and of such extent as he or the appropriate Military Commander may determine, from which any or all persons may be excluded, and with respect to which, the right of any person to enter, remain in, or leave shall be subject to whatever restrictions the Secretary of War or the appropriate Military Commander may impose in his discretion. The Secretary of War is hereby authorized to provide for residents of any such area who are excluded therefrom, such transportation, food, shelter, and other accommodations as may be necessary, in the judgment of the Secretary of War or the said Military Commander, and until other arrangements are made, to accomplish the purpose of this order. The designation of military areas in any region or locality shall supersede designations of prohibited and restricted areas by the Attorney General under the Proclamations , and shall supersede the responsibility and authority of the Attorney General under the said Proclamations in respect of such prohibited and restricted areas.

I hereby further authorize and direct the Secretary of War and the said Military Commanders to take such other steps as he or the appropriate Military Commander may deem advisable to enforce compliance with the restrictions applicable to each Military area hereinabove authorized to be designated, including the use of Federal troops and other Federal Agencies, with authority to accept assistance of state and local agencies.

I hereby further authorize and direct all Executive Departments, independent establishments and other Federal Agencies, to assist the Secretary of War or the said Military Commanders in carrying out this Executive Order, including the furnishing of medical aid, hospitalization, food, clothing, transportation, use of land, shelter, and other supplies, equipment, utilities, facilities, and services.

This order shall not be construed as modifying or limiting in any way the authority heretofore granted under Executive Order , nor shall it be construed as limiting or modifying the duty and responsibility of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with respect to the investigation of alleged acts of sabotage or the duty and responsibility of the Attorney General and the Department of Justice under the Proclamations prescribing regulations for the conduct and control of alien enemies, except as such duty and responsibility is superseded by the designation of military areas hereunder.

Now is this from US history or is it US history being made? or could it have never happened

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Mr sheeple,

Four posts now and you still wont answer the question?

WHERE IN THE ENUMERATED POWERS IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GRANTED THIS AUTHORITY?

You know little about history and even less about the constitution. My language is used in the correct manner in all my posts, if you dont understand, its not my fault. You lack of understanding of the constitution and how it applies to our government suggest that you would not understand.

Keep worshiping maoobama and big government, every dictator needs lemming subjects. There will always be useless slaves such as yourself who make excuses for tyrants because you feel your on the same team. You cannot even make a simple rational argument.

I do feel bad for you Mr. sheeple, as basic reasoning is lost on you. I guess a dream for you would be to have a new flag with the citizens licking a government boot. All hail the federal government of america! All hail the bankers! All hail chairman maobama!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Mr sheeple,

WHERE IN THE ENUMERATED POWERS IS THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GRANTED THIS AUTHORITY?

You know little about history and even less about the constitution. My language is used in the correct manner in all my posts, if you dont understand, its not my fault. You lack of understanding of the constitution and how it applies to our government suggest that you would not understand.

Keep worshiping maoobama and big government, every dictator needs lemming subjects. There will always be useless slaves such as yourself who make excuses for tyrants because you feel your on the same team. You cannot even make a simple rational argument.

I do feel bad for you Mr. sheeple, as basic reasoning is lost on you. I guess a dream for you would be to have a new flag with the citizens licking a government boot. All hail the federal government of america! All hail the bankers! All hail chairman maobama!

Sorry, are you dim?

In case you don't know the history of the US States, the constitution has been interpreted MANY different ways of the last two plus centuries. The first congress (I'm sure you know why they matter) didn't agree on what half of it meant, and the Supreme Court is there because all of the laws and situations that arise are not spelled out in the Constitution.

So.

Asking what legal authority they have is a dense question.

And endlessly comparing Obama to Mao is also dense.

You think I'm a "useless slave" but again, you don't know anything about what you're talking about, and less about US history than most idiots I run into.

Now go on... let's have more of your "Maobama slave authoritarian" stupidity. It's obviously all you've got to add.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Mr sheeple,

Sorry, are you dim?

In case you don't know the history of the US States, the constitution has been interpreted MANY different ways of the last two plus centuries. The first congress (I'm sure you know why they matter) didn't agree on what half of it meant, and the Supreme Court is there because all of the laws and situations that arise are not spelled out in the Constitution.

So.

Asking what legal authority they have is a dense question.

And endlessly comparing Obama to Mao is also dense.

You think I'm a "useless slave" but again, you don't know anything about what you're talking about, and less about US history than most idiots I run into.

Now go on... let's have more of your "Maobama slave authoritarian" stupidity. It's obviously all you've got to add.

Mr. sheeple,

The article is quite clear, there is nothing dense about the constitution considering the founders wrote it with the intention that any person would be able to read and understand it. With that said, it is listed EXACTLY what the federal powers are. There are also NO interpretations of the constitution, only illegal actions that are unconstitutional given that under the constitution no branch of government is given such power.

You are unable to answer my question.

WHERE IN THE ENUMERATED POWERS IS THE GOVERNMENT GRANTED THIS AUTHORITY?

There are only two answers to this,
1) You have never read the constitution
2) Your a sheeple of the chairman and could care less what that "rag" the constitution says

You are BSing, typical sheeple argument style. I refer to your leader as dear leader chairman maobama because you defend him like a devout follower of a dictator, absent of reason and logic.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join