It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOD holds 1st LGBT pride event in Kandahar, Afghanistan

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by beezzer

So, it's a Democratic event, not an LGBT event.... Weak, beez. Totally lame.

Nope. Just saying that it was politically motivated.

Don't be naïve and think otherwise.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Our Troops can't worship their religion fully in Afghanistan but we can have a LGBT pride event there........ I swear I am living on Bizarro's Planet on not Earth.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Hello .... BH and BEEZZER ... Read this post
Makes sense, right? You are BOTH right, and the OP was wrong.
edit on 7/7/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I'm not sure it will be the last.
I don't see any reason not to celebrate this every year. It's not like there are only so many celebrations allowed. If it makes the soldiers feel good in their war torn environment, I don't see an issue.

Thanks for your level head.

I'm out.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I thought that when the USA had a base on foreign soil, they respected the belief systems of the host country?

Pretty sure that a gay pride event is NOT in keeping with the belief systems of the average Afghani citizen.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't see any reason not to celebrate this every year.

Because NO ONE gets special celebrations. Like Beezzer said .... everyone is green. Not black, not white, not asian, not gay, not straight, not anything but GREEN.

A one time inclusion celebration ... Awesome.

But then if a person is in the military, they aren't special.
I guess you would have had to have been in to understand.
So I won't pound on you ... (you civilian you!!)

But I'll just say it again ... you both are right ....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Wait wait wait, why did we go to Afghanistan again?

I forget so much BS war going on, well uhhh I'm sure they wont all be killed when we uhh pull out.

I'm sure when the taliban rolls back in they'll be cool with it. Oh and they'll let the opium flow too.

the bad talliban stopped the drugs trade when it was taken out it went up 600% with soldiers PROTECTING the crops .

you need to think about this war on drugs from vietnam to afganistan and pakistan planes full of drugs getting through even in the coffins of dead servicemen

the goverments run the drug trade that is why they are there and for the oil pipe lines not for the freedom of some farmer in a mud hut

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I thought that when the USA had a base on foreign soil, they respected the belief systems of the host country?

well .. within reason. And having an 'event' that was low key like this wasn't exactly waving something under the noses of the host country, ya' know? It wasn't a big deal and we don't even know if it really happened. It wasn't a parade or a big festival. It was quiet and small and just within the military ranks.

As for respecting the belief systems of the host country ... our female troops drive around Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, etc and don't cover their heads with scarfs or whatever. They have their army gear and/or helmets on.

I remember Gulf War I ..... a female army troop was driving an army vehicle and the police in Kuwait pulled her over. She wasn't supposed to be out alone or driving or without the head covering according to them .... they threatened her .... she pulled a gun on them. They backed off and went away.

I read that in the paper back then ....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yes I watched the video . Read the article too. LGT pride event .You failed to answer Question .Stating every event is heterosexual doesn't answer my question. Some people can't see past their own agenda

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I fail to see what any branch of the US military has any business in doing this sort of thing. If you want happy soldiers, give them good food and good pay, followed by as much leave/liberty they earn.

Oh, let's have a gay parade.
This isn't a homophobic comment. Look at reality folks.... it's the Army, not a social club.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

The US military is not nor has it EVER been a 'democracy'.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

reply to post by beezzer

I think BH meant a Democrat vs a Republican event. She's right - it was neither. It was an LGBT event. There are gay Republicans. There are gay Christians. I'm sure both were welcome to the event.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I do not need to get it from anywhere. If they are "celebrating" or whatever this was, they are taking time away from the mission.

Now maybe in the large bases, ensconced behind 15 layers of security, folks who will never even see an Afghan, they got time for feel good stuff because they do not need to focus on their security all the time. Someone had to coordinate whatever form this took. Someone had to pay for it. Someone had to sit in a meeting and discuss it. But that is not why they are there. If they are not engaged, why are they there? Do you really think that is a good idea regardless of how fluffy and cuddly the moment is?

Sure, folks need time/events to give them something else to chew on from time to time or they go nuts. Got it. How well did this event fit that bill? Sounds like more mandatory Kumbaya training for people who already get along but is needed to demonstrate on the evening news how cool the military is.

The military is not perfect by any means. It has issues that need to be addressed. This one totally missed the target but sounds super for the cheerleader crowd.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This whole gay deal in the military is ridiculous at least when dont ask dont tell was in place it made things more or less equal when who is doing what to who was not a talking point period. This homosexual deal going on in the armed services is demeaning to small units as being gay promotes being an individual and that helps to destroy the mentality combat troops are preparing and training and conditioning for. Im sure its all honkey dorey in POG mos's but I am willing to bet its a real big deal and problem within actual combat mos's There is no "I" in the Marine Corps it always starts as "This Recruit"

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
"we don't want to be treated special'
when was the last time you saw a hetero parade?
The LGBT bunch need to get over themselves and stop acting like they're holocaust survivors.
The Pentagon has lost it's mind trotting this out over in a war zone.

Eta: This isn't about homophobia, it's about special interests.
I think beezer is right, this reeks of politics.
edit on 8-7-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

But weren't you recently against the pastor in the military who kept a Bible on his desk- or whatever it was? Your sentiment boiled down to something like 'Keep it to yourself' and 'The military is not the place for that.'

Remember that thread I recently posted in about how everyone is a hypocrite in some way?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Originally posted by neo96

You came in on the ass end of the discussion, and therefore totally misunderstood. We were talking about the Democratic party here in the states. Not the military being a democracy.

reply to post by ABNARTY

Originally posted by ABNARTY
Sure, folks need time/events to give them something else to chew on from time to time or they go nuts. Got it. How well did this event fit that bill?

I'm sure each person would have an opinion on that. The DoD seemed to think it fit the bill. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the military as a whole disapproved, but I'm sure there are some military personnel who bitched and moaned about it, just as there are plenty of civilians who are doing so.

I don't have a problem with the troops celebrating anything. Their lives are miserable, they're away from family and country, they're working hard for what THEY think is important and I wouldn't deny them the chance to find some "feel-good" just because I don't approve.

reply to post by AshleyD

Intimidating 'underlings' with religion is a totally different subject. Our gay military members aren't trying to proselytize or pressuring other members with this celebration. They are celebrating and communing, much like religious folks in the military celebrate on Christmas, Easter, Passover, Ramadan, Yom Kippur and Hanukkah every year...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Military members, deployed to foreign lands, having any kind of parade about sexual preference is wrong.
I did read the first line.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

There was no parade.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

This is just what is needed to win the hearts and minds in a predominantly Muslim country! Way to go DOD! Shear genius!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join