It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some very old photo's Historical - USA - UK - Wild west :)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A friend of mine collects old photo's and a few nights ago he was showing me some of what he had on his pc. He's got thousands and it was the best nights viewing I've ever had, certainly beats the TV easily. Before I left I shoved my USB stick into his pc and asked if he'd allow me to show some of them to my ats buddies/enemies

There's too many to upload all of them so I've taken a small selection.
There's not much info with them other than the date and category so I'll put the date and category at the top of each post.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Historical
German flying ace, ‘The Red Baron’ and his dog (1916)

Hiroshima – Before and After (1945)

Hitler looking at the Gustav Railway gun (1942)

Opening of King Tut’s sarcophagus (1924)

Pyramid of captured German helmets, New York (1918)

Ruby Bridges, first african-american to attend a white elementary school in the South (Nov. 14th,1960)

Goebbels, Hitler’s Propaganda Minister. 1933 in Geneva.

American west 100 + years

Can anyone translate this please?

USA 1870 - 1920

London_1876 - 1877

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Wow, what a great walk back in time !
Thanks for this.

More more...

Your friend has a great collections going on.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Some of those are amazing clear to be that old! I actually thought one of the faces of the "propaganda minister" pic was shopped. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Truly magnificent! !

It is an exceptional tease you have brought to us.

The details are amazing. I didn't know that Quaker Oats was such a big hit back then.

I have an penchant for old photography. One time I bought several thousand 35mm slides, from the 30s 40s and 50s., from an auction. Complete with screen and slide projector. There was a little bit of everything in there. A doctor and his wife took them. It chronicled every vacation they had ever been on. He was apparently an exceptional photographer because every shot was perfect. There were maps with circles and arrows pointing out every place they had been on a trip. There were long haul trips that would start like in New York and end in Alaska. There was even a trip that they took through the U.S. and photographed hundreds of covered bridges with maps showing where they were all located.

It took several weeks to look at all of those slides. It was probably the Best $50 History lesson I ever purchased in my life.

Please add more.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Hell yea, great share man thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Wow! and thank you very much!

As a photographer, I can add some insight into the quality of these photographs. Cameras in the early years of photography were large and used large exposure surfaces, mostly glass plates. That compensates a bit for the lesser quality of the emulsions. Lenses were of excellent quality, although they showed some optical faults, especially near the edges (giving the images that authentic photographic look). Especially during the late 1800s, the emulsions were not very light-sensitive, so there was always the problem of long exposure times. It's interesting how people posing sometimes show this. Their postures look awkward because they are standing unnaturally still.

Some very amazing photographs here!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

This was way before modern pain-killers. The guy has a tooth-ache...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Did a google search for the name. Turns out it is at Inscription Rock, New Mexico

More info and translation are here.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

"LEG OF BEEF SOUP"... That guy on the left looks like he just butchered a cow single-handed. His wife, standing behind him in the doorway probably held it down.

eta: What kind of dog is that???

edit on 7-7-2013 by soulwaxer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Superb!. A pyramid of captured German helmets go to it Masonic conspiracy theorists. A sad portrayal of the poverty of the working classes in London and The British Isles at the time. The woman sitting down on the doorstep brings to my mind the sort of poor unfortunate that the victims of Jack The Ripper would have been, in fact old Jackie Boy himself may even be in one of those pictures. S&F without any hesitation and my thanks and respect.
edit on 7-7-2013 by hotel1 because: My mistake she is not holding a child she is sitting on a doorstep with a shawl draped around her

edit on 7-7-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
S&F!

These are superb photos. My entire heritage is from New York, so it was interesting to see some of the scenes from that era.

I would love to take a crack at colorizing all of the black and whites! Someone should....

~Namaste

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The first picture in the American West portion appears to show the Apache chief Geronimo seated at the bottom left. Over all an excellent series of pictures to ponder over. People sure were ugly back in the old days. But they loved their hats.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I love looking at old photos. I can't help but think.....all those people, captured in a brief moment of time...are now dead. I know that's an incredibly morbid thought, but there you go.

Maybe one day, 100 years from now, someone will come across my photograph and ponder my life, even if for just a moment. Could that be the secret to immortality?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Love 'em!

I could look at old photos all day. It's awesome when you can see history. Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Wow, what a great walk back in time !
Thanks for this.

More more...

Your friend has a great collections going on.

I have more but they are mostly of buildings (US) but still very interesting, I'll sort them out and start another thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I didn't know that Quaker Oats was such a big hit back then.

When I was a kid (50 + years ago) I couldn't get enough of porridge, huge bowl for breakfast and if I could get away with it another for supper

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulwaxer
reply to post by soulwaxer

This was way before modern pain-killers. The guy has a tooth-ache...

Unfortunately I can remember the dreaded tooth ache
but at least I could go to the dentist, the poor guy above probably had to visit the local Butcher

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
DP.
edit on 7-7-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Did a google search for the name. Turns out it is at Inscription Rock, New Mexico

More info and translation are here.

Thanks for that

By this place passed Ensign Don Joseph de Payba Basconzelos, in the year in which he held the Council of the Kingdom at his expense, on the 18th of February, in the year 1726.’

Source

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulwaxer
eta: What kind of dog is that???

The next days lunch

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join