It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes a psychic?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
So as I sit here, drinking a Cuba Libre and working slowly down my list of tarot readings, I catch myself wondering: What really does make a psychic?

I understand some people don't believe in such nonsence, yet I have met people (and myself) who demonstrate clairvoyant abilities. Some for fun, while others from profit.

There is also the question of such people like Sylvia Brown and the infamous Miss Cleo from way back, who have used their "powers" to bilk many people out of their money.

So what say you fellow ATSers? Is there truth to the calling or all we just shills to a lying game?

Regards, Toast

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
A Psychic is the type of person who acknowledges and develops their extra-sensory capabilities. Usually if someone is trying to make money off of their abilities, however, you should look in the other direction.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I apologise for this candid reply, but nothing makes a psychic.

They are all fake and are consistently exposed with irrefutable proof.

There is however, no proof to say they are real.

You should take up a different hobby ;-)

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

I'll believe in psychics if you do a Tarot reading for me

edit on 6-7-2013 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
A psychic is one who develops the ability to speak to the others through his subconscious. I am not sure that the others were ever really human though, they are the authors of this reality. Our conscious mind cannot speak directly to these beings, we need to learn to talk to ourselves before we can acheive that through our subconscious's hidden language.

Just a guess that has absolutely no scientific fact to back it....
edit on 6-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Whats tomorrows lottery numbers?

Nuff said

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments...

It all goes across the board the way I look at it.

I don't tout myself as truly psychic, but I've had a lot of coincidences happen, i.e. A few years back I thought of an action movie parody where the main character has to ride a bike and do all sorts of crazy stunts...creatively titled "Action Movie on a Bike". And now recently when I was flipping through the channels, I see a trailer for an action/suspense movie called Premium Rush....AND THE PROTAGONIST WAS ON A BIKE.

Also, even though it's dragging on forever, I love doing tarot readings because there's always a one in a million shot I do make an accurate prediction.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
So as I sit here, drinking a Cuba Libre and working slowly down my list of tarot readings, I catch myself wondering: What really does make a psychic?

I understand some people don't believe in such nonsence, yet I have met people (and myself) who demonstrate clairvoyant abilities. Some for fun, while others from profit.

There is also the question of such people like Sylvia Brown and the infamous Miss Cleo from way back, who have used their "powers" to bilk many people out of their money.

So what say you fellow ATSers? Is there truth to the calling or all we just shills to a lying game?

Regards, Toast

When somebody asks me what I do for a living, my answer is "I'm an esoteric guidance counselor" and I wish it would just stay at that. It never does. They normally keep pressing me until I tell them that I'm a professional psychic. The next question is invariably the same one you ask with this thread.

This also means that I get to hear a lot of other psychics I work with answer this question and it has yet to be the same answer that I give. Personally, I don't feel I'm a psychic. I operate with guides and witchcraft. All of my divination is performed within that construct.

Many people say that psychic ability and magick are the same but they are not. One is secular and the other is religious or, if you prefer, internal and external. Most of the psychics you see on tv are of the secular "gifted" variety because people aren't exactly ready to destroy the cutesy image of witchcraft in pop culture yet.

So I think there are two very different types of answers to your question. The second question you have is much easier to answer. Yes, it's very real and can be very accurate. There are more people who do this than you would think and I would say that at least a fifth of the people I meet could do it if only they knew or wanted to. Not everybody wants to. I can play music and cook but I don't do either. I choose to make my money by being who I am and to enrich who I am with that money.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigershark1988
A Psychic is the type of person who acknowledges and develops their extra-sensory capabilities. Usually if someone is trying to make money off of their abilities, however, you should look in the other direction.

Why? How do you make your money? Do you not use your valued skills? There isn't some code of honor in society that says you can charge for any service except for psychic counseling. You think they are all provided for by the government so they can spend their days amusing you?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

I said "Usually". There are a lot of scam artists out there, as well as many inaccurate psychics. Best to stick with someone you know and can trust.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I don't know how to answer you question, because I think there are as many different answers out there as there are people. But I will say this: I wasn't really sold on the legitimacy of psychics until I had an experience with one. It wasn't that I thought they were all fake, it was just one of those things that I needed to "see" to believe.

My experience happened almost 2 months ago. I was on a trip, when I began talking to a man in our group (who I had only known about a week). I was having a bad day, and he goes into telling me that I've been through a lot and that I'm too hard on myself, etc. I brought up my past medical issues and how that made things worse, and he responded that he knew. I asked how he knew, because I had assumed someone told him. He said no one told him, he could just tell. Alright, I thought, I gave obvious hints that I have issues with my lungs and my heart (we had been hiking and I was having a hard time keeping up). But next he began to describe my personality and how I interact with people. It wasn't just surface bits that you can pick up by watching someone for a few days. He went on to tell me things that not even my mother has ever figured out. It was so in depth that I'm still in a bit of shock about it. A few days later, when I was talking to another person in the group, she said she had found out he was psychic, and that's when it made much more sense.

Speaking with him later, I asked how long he had been able to read people, and he said it was always something he has been able to do. He even went into all of the other things (like seances) that he did in college to make money. The thing that was really interesting, though, was that he attributed his gift to Brahma. I had never heard of one specifically attributing their gift to a God before.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by riddle6

A very good recount, riddle6! Usually when people do that kind of stuff, it's usually on a matter of suggestions, but it seems that some people can have the skill to read people.

Thank you for sharing!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

There are many different types of psychic, just like there are many types of coffee.
Most grow up with oddball experiences that makes the abilities hard to ignore and as they get older they develop it in some way.

It is something everyone has to some degree, but the psychic spends a lot of time developing their skills where as most other people don't ever get the chance to.
It is a lot easier to do if one experiences it as a child because there is no doubt in their minds as they grow up and they cannot deny their own experiences.

Tarot is a good tool for helping to develop. Just as long as one doesn't become dependent on them and branches out into other learning experiences.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Various things come to mind. One soul contract, ie you are given more gifts for a lifetime, to help with or to prevent you from slipping back.

OR, you are a new soul coming into help. Had a military background "friend" tell me that being psi means you come from "points up" and that means starseed by our terms.

The longer you are roped into repeating lessons in lower gravity the more you forget.

Like the movie What Dreams May Come, when Robin Williams entered the hellzone, earthzone, to rescue his wife who had becomed entrapped in sorrow, low self esteem, suicide and thinking she was to blame for her families car accidents and death, blaming self. Just prior to her remembering and grabbing his hand so they left together, he was sinking, forgetting who he was, and becoming overcome by the frequency of the place.

Now, when one meditates and wakes up more, they can by sure intent gain back their psi, that which has atrophied is still within the body suit, the toggle spots. Intend with your mind to switch them on, see light switches or a breaker box, and you are throwing all the breakers.

Meditate.

But always safeguard your positive loving spirit and wake up, in the spirit of helping those around you to happiness and subduing the impusles in our bodies to greed, comfort, apathy, judgments and control or even indignation, hurt feelings, needing to be right. When you're trying to be conscious and choose your reactions, and not hold things personally but be a good friend to another, even if they're being childish with you, then your frequency is alligning to your Source, and that makes waking up positive.

There are dark magicicans here that force their inner eye awake on lower selfish frequencies and they're running this world.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I couldn't state it better than Cuervo and Unity have already stated it.

I think we are all able to do these things we label 'psychic'. At varying degrees. When it happens in everyday occurrences, the most often response is, "It's a women's intuition", and other catch phrases to gloss over this evasive connection, this subtle energy that can connect people together telepathic/emphatically.

I don't think that the power structure/ptb in this world, wishes to cultivate advanced conscious awareness in humanity. In fact, much has been done in today's culture - to discount, condemn, and ridicule this very fundamental, important, and beautiful aspect of our nature. One can only begin to wonder why...

That being said, I believe in psychic ability - but I think we all have it, to varying degrees. Some simply recognize their ability, and then strive to develop it. Others, turn away from it. Some never even recognize or see what others perceive.

Peace,
Cirque

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

that's what I have been doing, except I started out with Transcendental Meditation, and then my tarot cards.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I'm not sure exactly how I started. By the time i was in high school I was already experiencing a lot. I did a lot of reading back then, experimenting with it. Didn't start with Tarot until my early 30's when after a long break from it all, I started to get into meditation and really opened the doors, then the Tarot came into play. Started meditating on the cards.
After that point it became epiphanies that would open new skills.
edit on 10-7-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I agree with a lot of what Unity_99 and Darkblade usually share about their thoughts on these forums. We seem to be thinking / feeling the same way about a lot of things.

(I read a lot of threads here, I just don't always want to post.-too much negativity here sometimes the vibes are unbearable. I always block them as much as I can.)

My earliest memory of seeing spirits was at the age of 3. I have been able to see the good ones, the bad ones, a whole spectrum of different creatures while wide awake, or in visions or in dreams. The first time I had a vision was at the age of 12. It was very strong, and when it stopped I cried, and then I was shocked later when it came true.
I have been able to see the past/present/ future either in visions/ meditations or in dreams, or sometimes they hit me right smack on whilst I am just going about my daily business (washing dishes, shopping, etc.). I can also read minds, and other people's feelings ( It comes and goes, I can't control it, but usually I feel strong emotions better.) And too many times to be a coincidence I will tell the person what they are thinking about, or I will say the sentence or question they were about to say.

I am not writing this to brag, I honestly don't care whether anyone here believes me or not. I know the truth, that's enough for my soul.

I just wanted to write to answer your question: What makes one psychic?
I really think I was born with it. It was never something I had to read books or take courses, lol. It just came by itself and my abilities have grown stronger throughout the years.
I also believe it has something to do with my past lives ( I had these abilities then too.)
I use it for good, I use it to help people.

I also believe everyone is born with it some stronger, some weaker, it's just some are better at it than others for some unknown reason. And some like me are told/ shown early on how to use it.
I personally don't like being called a psychic. I had a vision once when I was told that I am a seer.

There. I just wanted to add my two cents.

Have a very nice Sunday.

edit on 4-8-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: spelling

edit on 4-8-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-8-2013 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheToastmanCometh
AND THE PROTAGONIST WAS ON A BIKE

So what? many movies have been made of bikes and people riding them before your idea, here is one from 1948....
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread!
I can't believe gifted people are so scared to share their thoughts and opinions of the possibility of getting ridiculed. I've met numerous very gifted people during my life and also here on ATS and no one is brave enough to comment, only us few?

Like I mentioned before, I was born with it, never had to study it or work on it, and am proud to be a seer.

Come on guys, don't be shy.

I've told all my family and friends, and to be honest after I read their minds, or did a psychic reading on them, they never once thought I was crazy, instead they would first get slightly scared, then amazed, and now ask me for help every now and then. (readings, visions, etc.)

I've been lucky enough to also have built up a very good reputation and my own clientele and do psychic readings as a second job.

My husband is scared of anything paranormal yet would still always ask me for a 'reading' anytime he needs some questions answered.

So,.. who else wants to fess up and share their story of how they found out, they had the 'gift' ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join