It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Greatest Truth?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

The Truth is paradoxical, because it can only be true to you.

Thats not true! The truth is absolute and exact by definition.

A true statement is not necessarily a truth.

"I saw an unidentified flying object."

The above might be a true statement, but the object I saw may have actually just been an experimental airplane being tested by our government, meaning someone somewhere knows what it is. So, is what I said the Truth, or merely a subjectively true statement from my perspective?

If you see a flying object, it is true you believe you saw a flying object and it is potentially true that there is a flying object in reality that you saw. If the object is unidentified to you, then it would be true to claim you saw an unidentified flying object. If it was an experimental airplane and someone knows what it is and where it was, then that person knows the truth.

Also, "right now I just ate a chip" is not a true statement, as "right now" becomes the past as soon as you live through it. You cannot eat a chip "right now" because there is no actual "right now".

The language isnt important and wasnt what I was pointing at. I was using those words to let you know that in reality, I ate a chip. To prove the point that it was true that I ate a chip, and that truth will not change, because it happened. Was just trying to argue with ya, ya know.

Back to paradox. Its an interesting topic because I dont think a paradox can exist, because I think everything that occurs is truth, and I think a paradox by definition is two conflicting or opposing 'items' which both cannot exist, or be correct to be existing as truth.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

Originally posted by BDBinc

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Originally posted by EnochWasRight

Luke 10:22, "All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the son, and he to whom the son will reveal him."

All things come from the father and man (mind) cannot know this moment of presence (the son) - only the father can know this moment of presence (the son - the light of consciousness - the actual appearing) and only through seeing this light that is happening now can the father know himself.

Man (the mind) cannot know this moment as he is lost in thoughts in time.

So if the mind is still can he know this moment?

Who is the 'he' you refer to?
edit on 11-7-2013 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   

reply to post by BDBinc

Luke 10:22, "All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the son, and he to whom the son will reveal him."

All things come from the father and man (mind) cannot know this moment of presence (the son) - only the father can know this moment of presence (the son - the light of consciousness - the actual appearing) and only through seeing this light that is happening now can the father know himself.

If the Son is still can know the father?

What about" I am" as a truth.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Thats not true! The truth is absolute and exact by definition.

Facts are absolute, I would argue.

When you go by just the "truth" you're getting into personal perspectives. A truth for me, like, say: "pineapples are not delicious", may not be a truth for you. I cannot state as a fact that pineapples aren't delicious, only as a personal truth. IE: it is a truth, to me, that pineapples are not delicious.

If you see a flying object, it is true you believe you saw a flying object and it is potentially true that there is a flying object in reality that you saw. If the object is unidentified to you, then it would be true to claim you saw an unidentified flying object. If it was an experimental airplane and someone knows what it is and where it was, then that person knows the truth.

So, is it, in truth, "unidentified" or "identified" then? It cannot be both, as that would be another one of those pesky paradoxes. The only way it can be simultaneously unidentified, and identified, is if "truth" is subjective, and based on your perspective.

The language isnt important and wasnt what I was pointing at. I was using those words to let you know that in reality, I ate a chip. To prove the point that it was true that I ate a chip, and that truth will not change, because it happened.

It is a fact that you ate a chip (hypothetically), and a personal truth, but not an "absolute truth". Absolute, unchanging truths do not exist. Only individual facts.

Remember, this thread is about the Greatest Truth, implying a single, individual, independent truth. And I still contend that there is no single Greatest Truth, because all truth is subject to change, based on the perspective of the observer.

Back to paradox. Its an interesting topic because I dont think a paradox can exist, because I think everything that occurs is truth, and I think a paradox by definition is two conflicting or opposing 'items' which both cannot exist, or be correct to be existing as truth.

Staring at the horizon from the center of railroad tracks.

The tracks meet, in the distance, at the curve of the Earth. But they don't actually meet, as that would cause a derailment. What you have is a visible, real-world paradox. This is analogous to all truths, in my opinion. They can only be noticed/seen if the proper conditions are met. Stand outside of the train-tracks and the paradoxical view disappears. If I'm not in your shoes, then your truth is only a possibility to me, not an absolute.

That's my (overly wordy) 2 cents on the matter.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

reply to post by BDBinc

If the Son is still can know the father?

What about" I am" as a truth.

The son is never still but the Father is the stable out of which and in which the son is born.

I am is the truth, the way and the life.
I am is the Father and son.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

Facts are absolute, I would argue.

When you go by just the "truth" you're getting into personal perspectives. A truth for me, like, say: "pineapples are not delicious", may not be a truth for you. I cannot state as a fact that pineapples aren't delicious, only as a personal truth. IE: it is a truth, to me, that pineapples are not delicious.

Ok I would say that personal truths are only minor subjective feelings and opinions and they are even subject to change. Because it requires interpretation. I was referring to objective truth. We can both agree that pineapples exist and that is true? We are both different, a pineapple has its exact chemical makeup, you and I may have similar physical taste mechanisms, but our brains may be made up different from experience. I dont think truth is democracy, in that if more people say pineapples are delicious then not, then objectively it is truth that pineapples are delicious. So yea, im not talking about personal subjective truths, because they are not objective, a person can literally think and make themselves believe anything, and it can be true for them. That doesnt make it objectively true.

So, is it, in truth, "unidentified" or "identified" then? It cannot be both, as that would be another one of those pesky paradoxes. The only way it can be simultaneously unidentified, and identified, is if "truth" is subjective, and based on your perspective.

In truth it exists exactly as it does, and there is an individual who knows about its identification, and one who doesnt. That is the objective truth.

It is a fact that you ate a chip (hypothetically), and a personal truth, but not an "absolute truth". Absolute, unchanging truths do not exist. Only individual facts.

Remember, this thread is about the Greatest Truth, implying a single, individual, independent truth. And I still contend that there is no single Greatest Truth, because all truth is subject to change, based on the perspective of the observer.

I mean what do you mean by absolute? It is an unchanging truth, the fact that I ate a chip when I did, will never change, it has happened, it is unavoidable, what is done is done, we cant go in the past and change that.

In an earlier post I gave my thought on what the greatest truth is; The existence of all that has ever existed and all that ever will. Certainly 'everything' is the greatest (and only) truth.

Staring at the horizon from the center of railroad tracks.

The tracks meet, in the distance, at the curve of the Earth. But they don't actually meet, as that would cause a derailment. What you have is a visible, real-world paradox. This is analogous to all truths, in my opinion. They can only be noticed/seen if the proper conditions are met. Stand outside of the train-tracks and the paradoxical view disappears. If I'm not in your shoes, then your truth is only a possibility to me, not an absolute.

Wow, you love the subjective faulty nature of human perception. And to an ant the top of the empire state building does not exist. Does that mean in objective reality that building does not truly exist? I cant see the floor your standing on right now, does that mean it doesnt exist?

That's my (overly wordy) 2 cents on the matter.

~ Wandering Scribe

Not over wordy at all, I appreciate the discussion.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The greatest truth is..

We are all connected. All part of the one.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by BFwBNFTS

You are the one but you don't realize it yet.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The greatest truth is:

We are biological machines.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

The greatest truth is:

We are biological machines.

You must first prove that we actually exist. And what it even means to exist.

edit on 11-7-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It is self evident that we exist. Its up to you to prove that we dont if thats your prerogative and belief. What it means to exist is what science has been working on.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Politics
The greatest truth is an assertion of which can not be proven that it is a lie.

©
truth is in contradiction with untruth, if the false is true, the truth is false.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

What is the greatest truth?

In three words:

You are that.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by D1ss1dent

Alright...

Who am I?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by D1ss1dent

Alright...

Who am I?

Who wants to know what?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42

©
truth is in contradiction with untruth, if the false is true, the truth is false.

DEEP inane but nonetheless DEEP

Darryl Forests
I am shallow.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join