It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: 777 crash lands at San Francisco

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by BABYBULL24

They call it the hammerhead.

That was an impressive impact. It snapped the elevators off fairly cleanly. The question more is, why were they so low.

Thanks - the guy Fox had on kept calling it the Displaced Threshold - was like what the heck is that?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The SF Fire Chief should have kept her yapper shut till they had hard numbers. Some lucky people here in SF today

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Looks like is off the left of runway 28L near taxiway N

Map Link

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
anyone else see that young boy trying to tell his story, then the uniformed person grabbed him and told him to stop talking whisked him and his family away??

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for that!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
In response to a previous post: The local media showed a picture of the left side of the airframe and the engine is missing from the pylon from the view I saw. I will try to get a screen capture, but I assume its somewhere in the impact path

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
anyone else see that young boy trying to tell his story, then the uniformed person grabbed him and told him to stop talking whisked him and his family away??

I didnt, but one caller to CNN was upset they were herded up and not allowed to leave the terminal yet.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Is there any video of the landing so we can gain a better understanding as to what happened or just pictures so far?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Generally something has to get "fat" to be the head. Here is a traffic hammerhead.
traffic hammerhead

If you go to the TTR, you can see a hammerhead tossed in the middle of nowhere at
37°47'52.73"N 116°46'41.14"W

My point is it has to look like the head of a hammer, though you could just have the excess paved area to one side instead of symmetric.

I found the bible:
airport markings

I'm thinking "threshold" or "displaced threshold". Clearly a place not to land.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Probably termed a blast pad or overrun area. It is outside the threshold.

Chevrons. These markings are used to show pavement areas aligned with the runway that are unusable for landing, takeoff, and taxiing. Chevrons are yellow.

from Your link

edit on 7/6/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Yellow chevrons denote the overrun area. It's a no go area except for an emergency (aborted TO, etc). A threshold will have white arrows generally. The big difference between a threshold and overrun area is that you are permitted the use of the threshold for taxing or your takeoff run. That exists if there is a reason to avoid that area as an aimpoint for landing, but it intersects with a taxi way, or extends the field for take-off runs. Yellow Chevrons are a hazard marking for landing or takeoff, no taxing. In this case the hazard it is denoting is the bay, right off the end of the runway.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
anyone think somehow they are going to blame north korea and invade? wasnt this plane from south korea?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
so apparently the COO of facebook sheryl sandberg cancelled the flight... I feel conspiracy theories incoming

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
There's a lot of speculation which I'll try not to add to. What seems unlikely at this stage is that there's a link to the previous 777 crash at London Heathrow - the engines are a different type. Wind shear is unlikely to have been a factor - weather conditions were perfect. The plane didn't 'cartwheel'. There was no fire on board prior to the crash, and no emergency was declared.
The landing aids at the airport are out of action, and the crew would have been required to make a visual approach. That should not be a problem. Yet they touched down well short of the runway, with the results we've all seen.
The NTSB will be focusing more on human factors than mechanical, maintenance or weather issues, I suspect.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
From Drudge:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Medical update:

of the 10 critical patients 5 have been upgraded to Serious

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

There goes my thought the left engine had been torn off. May be still buried under the wing.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Tower Audio From 214's 7 miles out and the crash including the controller getting all inbound traffic to go around and other pilots in the pattern reporting people walking outside the plane by the numbers

FYI San Carlos is a muni field about 20 miles south and in the approach path

We live about 27 miles south of SFO and most of the heavies transit over our city to line up thier approach to 28L and 28R over the bay and the quiet is really weird

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
From Drudge:

Seems a bit of a stretch to believe that the plane touched down at 150 mph, weaved about and came to a stop only about 1000 feet later.

Also strange only two died with more than half of the top of the fuselage melted away.
edit on 6-7-2013 by HundredthMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HundredthMonkey
Also strange only two died with more than half of the top of the fuselage melted away.

Not really the fire occured after the crash and there seemed to be enough time to get most out. My son and I were lucky to witness a egress test of an airliner. They load a mix of people male/female old/young and see how many can evacuate a plane in 90 seconds (thats how they certify the capacity of airframes BTW) and its amazing how fast people can evac

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join