It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are grains, wheat, oats really bad for your health?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I don't get something. Mainstream doctors and nutritionists tell us that whole grains are good for you and provide fiber and nutrients. But those in holistic alternative health say the opposite and make some good arguments about why we are not naturally suited to digest grains - which includes wheat, bread, pasta, rice, cookies, crackers, oats, etc.

They argue that eating grains has caused a rise in a whole host of major illnesses and epidemics that have plagued humans in the last few hundred years, as well as an addiction to them. And they argue that the nutrients in grains, such as fiber, can be obtained from other sources such as fruits and vegetables, so that there is nothing in grains that you can't get elsewhere.

Check out these articles that make some good points:

wellnessmama.com...

www.wheatbellyblog.com...

nourishedkitchen.com...

What do you all think? Any of you have experience with this?

Does this mean that even oatmeal is bad for you too? If so, why do I feel a burst of energy after eating oatmeal? It certainly feels healthy.

If this is all true, does it mean that the nutrition industry is conspiring with the pharmaceutical industry and medical industry to make people sicker for profit?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurofile007

This can't be true because that would mean that beer is bad for you too.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Agriculture is about 10 000 year old invention, human diet were mostly acquired by hunting and gathering. Meat, berries, mushrooms, eggs, seafood and nuts for example were basic food for people, digestion system is not well adapted to grains.

Celiac disease is more and more diagnosed in our days. The formation mechanism of celiac disease is still unknown . In this disease system cannot handle glutein which is in wheat, oat ( excluding pure oat which is allowed ) rye and barley. When person who eats these grains and have celiac disease there will be inflammatory reaction in digestion system specially in small intestine as glutein destroys the small intestine pile.

Celiac disease is highly underdiagnosed disease, amount of patients has doubled in last two decades and it is believed to rise even more. There are a lot of people who have symptoms but dont get diagnosed, its estimated that people who actually have celiac disease, 74% is undiagnosed and they dont know that they have it.. its a lot.

There is also grain allergies we should not mix with celiac disease. Grain allergies are very common for children. They say that we shouldnt feed pap oats and grains to our babies and feeding those grains starts way too early. Also some scientists believe that exposing babies to glutein will cause later celiac disease.

As long as they dont know what is causing celiac i believe we are not adapted yet to consume grains which has glutein if we ever will.

edit on 6-7-2013 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
History disagrees.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The oldest cultivated wheat has 14 chromosomes. We've been eating it for 10,000 years.
The stuff they feed you now has 28 chromosomes but we've been eating it for 40.
Seems America went south on the health scale about the same time as this stuff replaced the real thing.

This article notes some of the issues.

Wheat health article

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Both are right. Amazingly!

Grains are good for you and without them we wouldn't have been able to get to where we are now-industrially.

BUT...........
grains have within them a chemical called phytic acid which is a powerful chelater. It will bind to all mineral metals; magnesium, zinc, calcium, iron etc. (Binding with calcium deoends on body pH, so another reason we need to be more alkaline.)
Also Vitamin B3 Niacin is chelated, which can cause pellegra.

If you are already deficient in these minerals, then eating grains is going to make you ten times worse. Phytic acid can become an Anti nutrient.
And I am only talking about wholewheat bread/ grains.

The Japanese ferment their grains before making their grains into flour and I don't see them having wheat belly problems.
Grains can also be soaked in an acid medium, lactic acid fermentation and sprouting can all reduce levels of Phytic acid.

Also Probiotic lactobacilli contains Phytase; an enzyme that catalyses the phosphate from phytate and hydrolyses the complexes formed by the phytate and metal ions or other cations, rendering them more soluble, improving intestinal absorption. So live yoghurt taken with grains can help.

Phytic acid is a chelater of Uranium and is aka as preservative E391.
Phytate suppresses colon cancer and IBS.
Inositol is found in phytic acid, which can reduce Obcessive Compulsive Disorder.

So in the West we need to sprout our grains (malting) before millling, then we wouldn't be having so many problems with the wheat belly etc.

Barley is also the most alkaline plant and I also wondered why we don't use more of this wonder grain?

Sometimes both sides are right but as in this case there was a missing piece of the puzzle. I got this from a nutrition book writtten by Adelle Davis, PRE 1970s as that was when nutrition got corrupted by NWO.

I don't see oats as a problem but then again I always have it with cinnamon sugar, which stops the sugar rush.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
For the way I see it, my family tree, was more old fashion, they lived off simple foods,
grains, whole,beans,rice,potatoes and stuff. BUT they rarely eat veges or fruits.

Now the fun part, they all lived long healthy lives, without any cancers or serious
illness's and other things. So thats my proof
. As for me, im more half
and half with greasy food, pizza, hamburgers etc. Just glad im underweight.
My mom and grandma rarely goes to doctors. We tend to walk a lot as well
so that factors in our health.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Agree with the post around coeliac disease. It is the own body attacking the stomach causing the lining to lay down flat. When this happens your body cannot absorb any minerals hence will show as a generic feeling ill, tired etc. We probably have had coeliac for years but people were just described as having a poor constitution.
I do think that wheat is natural but am dubious of the current trend where babies don't have wheat in their diet until they are. 6 months old - in the uk- they don't have early time for their body to get used to it. There is a similar waiting with peanuts and the body violently reacts to it.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Someone told me recently it was the GMO causing these problems. It is apparently difficult to find real non GMO grain products. The list for processed foods with GMO content is lengthy. Try printing one out, 40 pages.

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by soulwaxer

Amusing as this may be,many al pulls,beer included ,are now made with GMO grains .
Wheat barley etc. So now our alcohol is even GMO ,and the man is slipping it by us unnoticed.
I don't drink ,so it doesn't affect me much .

posted on Jul, 13 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurofile007

Wheat is completely toxic now. It's not the grain our ancestors ate.
It's mostly gmo ,and is absolutely the cause if ibs and celiac disease .
Same with dairy intolerance.
It's not the dairy itself,but the steroids drugs and gmo feed the animals ate all its life.
It's why people now have issues with meats too .
Beef started making me sick about ten years ago,so I stopped eating it.

Then look at oats.
Most oats you buy are completely processed . Full of binders and garbage additives.
So yeah . Most grains are now garbage due to corporation interference with nature ,as per usual.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hi,

If you want to know that which thing is good for your health or which thing is bad than please go through this link this is help for me and i think it is helpful to you.

Foods4betterhealth

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Hi,

I think this things are not bad for us.. its gives us protein..
www.foods4betterhealth.com...

new topics

top topics

join