It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Referee Beheaded by fans after he kills player

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

This seems to be regional rather than something endemic to our current human population. South Americans take soccer (or football) WAYYYYYY TOOOOOOO SERRIIOOUSSSLLLYYY. There's a fundamental difference in temperament between North Americans and Western Europeans (to a lesser degree) and south americans, arabs, turks, etc.

This may be economically related, since a poorer society is a less educated society which thus increases the odds of this degree of barbarism.

The world IS getting better, Steven Pinker proved that in his "the better angels of our nature". Unfortunately, it's not a night and day process. It'll take decades, maybe a century or more, before the world reaches a period where acts such as these become ancient history.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

hehe you have just sold a film to me without even knowing it... that is my favorite Johnny Cash song

I agree with you also.

The idiocy that people emit is backward and the reasons even more so. Is a reason ever justified to do this to another human?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Second beheading ,not related to Mexican drug cartels ,this week .
I believe it . Those soccer fans are nuts .

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
wtf.... killings over a soccer game?... disgusting

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

Are we doomed as a species? The current level of barbarianism in the world astounds me.

It almost feels that some parts of world are actually de-evolving.

It Is one manic killing after another, there is something in the water....

Also, does anyone know the symbolic nature of beheading someone? What is the fascination in some cultures?

asia.eurospo rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Yep.

That's why its time to go to Mars.

One-way trip and all, sign me up quick.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207kg

Say what you will about how crappy the U.S. is and blah blah blah. But at least this never happens at our sporting events. Some parts of the world will always be primitive.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Say what you will about how crappy the U.S. is and blah blah blah. But at least this never happens at our sporting events. Some parts of the world will always be primitive.

People talkinh smack about the US live in barbaric countries.It'll never,EVER happen at any of our sporting events.

Why you ask? Because we can separate sports from reality. 99 percent of the world can't.It's a jealousy issue.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
Brazil seems like a reasonable place to hold the 2016 Olympic Games.

Not to mention they are holding the 2014 World Cup, which is far more relevant.

Originally posted by seabag
Apparently the value of life just took another dip. I'll never understand how people can get so twisted over a recreational activity.

Just to put this into context, before the Yanks all come out in force to boast how much better they are than the rest of us, this was a local, amateur game in a developing country.

Even in the US or Europe, at grassroots/local level the players (and parents) of any sport can make life very difficult and go so far as to assault officials and other players. THIS IS NOT RESTRICTED TO FOOTBALL (SOCCER) and examples can be found from any country for pretty much any sport of people being attacked.

Now here, in this example, it would appear that the referee felt threatened by the player, a fight broke out and he stabbed the player - no doubt this is not the first incident otherwise why would the ref go armed? The crowd then took it further and killed the ref. It has nothing to do with football but says a lot about Brazilian society.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astrocyte
This seems to be regional rather than something endemic to our current human population. South Americans take soccer (or football) WAYYYYYY TOOOOOOO SERRIIOOUSSSLLLYYY. There's a fundamental difference in temperament between North Americans and Western Europeans (to a lesser degree) and south americans, arabs, turks, etc.

You pretty much nailed it but you are lacking some additional information.... What other very large difference is there between South-America-Africa- the middle east etc and Europe/North America? I

This may be economically related, since a poorer society is a less educated society which thus increases the odds of this degree of barbarism.

Actually a society can be poor but have very high literacy rates and score well in many other areas that indicate that the population are in fact pretty decently educated as compared to norms in western societies... That does not mean that one should discount the very real relation between education and resorting to violence for survival and the like but it is not the full story. There are forces such as strong religious convictions as well as intensely enforced state power that can rob people of the option towards individual public violence...

The world IS getting better, Steven Pinker proved that in his "the better angels of our nature". Unfortunately, it's not a night and day process. It'll take decades, maybe a century or more, before the world reaches a period where acts such as these become ancient history.

Here i can not agree. The current trend in world affairs is a very determined escalation in concentration of power and wealth into fewer and fewer hands as well as a systematic dismantling of the sovereign power of nation states. Projecting this trend into the future the way in which people are persecuted may become less barbaric ( instant incineration by ever more powerful weapons and state sanctioned executing methods) but the urge to persecute those who are attempting to resist these trends will not go away. Either way human nature isn't in my opinion the problem as provided you give each individual control over his person and some access to a means of a secure standard of living they are no threat to the public peace.

Since scarcity of resources is a philosophical/economic theoretical construct there is no objective spur( there aren't really too few resources on earth so that we can't all live well) for these violent and barbaric outbursts and if we could just dismantle the economic machinery that is generating wealth for a few and insecurity and extreme tests to our still quite fallible natures we should be just fine.

Sounds easy if you put it like that.

Stellar

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

Are we doomed as a species? The current level of barbarianism in the world astounds me.

It almost feels that some parts of world are actually de-evolving.

It Is one manic killing after another, there is something in the water....

Also, does anyone know the symbolic nature of beheading someone? What is the fascination in some cultures?

asia.eurospo rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I wonder if there was a Muslim or Islamic tie to this story. Be-headings usually involve this religious background.
edit on 7-7-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

In rural Brazil? I doubt it - there are only around 30,000 Muslims in all of Brazil....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

In rural Brazil? I doubt it - there are only around 30,000 Muslims in all of Brazil....

Yeah, and of all of those, how many are extremists?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
So I just read the article on CNN, and it sounds like it was the dead player's family members who actually did it.

source

The ONLY one who killed over just a game was the referee.

edit on 7-7-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Football is different in these other parts of the world. It keeps them from doing trouble, usually.

Ya, not so much!

I'm not condoning what they did. It was wrong. I'm just saying, I can understand the thought process behind it, and it isn't quite as barbaric as people are making it out to be.

Beheading someone and quartering them isn’t barbaric? Got it!

According to reports, the referee was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch)

Nothing to see here, folks. Just a normal reaction (maybe in Brazil)!

edit on 7-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Unbelievable this seems to be getting some kind of trend... If you ask me there's more to it then some nice soccer game that changes into some grotesque departure of limbs? No definitely gang wars...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Pretty brutal video, but it's reality. They even cut off his legs. Not for anyone that can't handle these sorts of images. You have to be able to mentally block it out or don't even bother. The beheading videos in Iraq were much more disturbing because you had to watch the actual act. This is such a crazy world. I don't understand why we humans are so cruel to one another, and over a game? I blame the ref for starting it all to begin with though. ~$heopleNation
edit on 7-7-2013 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Yeah, we in the US just have people with assault rifles shooting up fast-food joints, movie theaters and grade schools. We're so much more civilized and advanced here: we use modern weapons and deal out death wholesale rather than retail. God bless America and all of its nuclear-armed ships at sea.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Yea a lot of South American countries are very serious about their soccer. I've seen some videos of some serious brawls at games even huge battlefield type fights of about 100+ people. You would swear you were witnessing a bloods vs crips battle.

But wow this is extreme a ref stabbing a player then being beheaded? Sad our world has become so advanced yet still very barbaric in nature. Well kicking around a decapitated head was how the game started.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join