It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Referee Beheaded by fans after he kills player

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Our sports now are like are gladiator games played in rome, but now there is less death. I do believe the first forms of what we know as football/soccer were played between villages and there inhabitants, people would be injured disabled and even killed over this game. As much as things change they stay the same.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
...And all we in America ever hear about is how brutal and dangerous American Football is... sheesh!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Briles1207

Brazil seems like a reasonable place to hold the 2016 Olympic Games.

Apparently the value of life just took another dip. I'll never understand how people can get so twisted over a recreational activity.

There's no one in the world you respect as a hero or role model?

Imagine someone killing your role model? Wouldn't you get upset?

While I think it's wrong to have killed the ref, I can understand it.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

Are we doomed as a species? The current level of barbarianism in the world astounds me.

It almost feels that some parts of world are actually de-evolving.

It Is one manic killing after another, there is something in the water....

Also, does anyone know the symbolic nature of beheading someone? What is the fascination in some cultures?

asia.eurospo rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Fully agreed,.
The world is surely on a downward spiral of degradation.
Ever enforcing my wish for a monster comet to reset this world

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I honestly don't have any role models I'm that passionate about and I'm glad I don't.

I don't even want to understand it.

Think the value of a human life, regardless of their social status, should come first.

It's just sick what they did.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
These guys watch too much Game of Thrones

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by JosephPalasky

What they did? The ref stabbed and innocent man in cold blood. I get that a beheading is brutal but death is death.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JosephPalasky
reply to post by Ghost375

I honestly don't have any role models I'm that passionate about and I'm glad I don't.

I don't even want to understand it.

Think the value of a human life, regardless of their social status, should come first.

You never had a teacher who influenced you? Or even just your mother?

Football is different in these other parts of the world. It keeps them from doing trouble, usually. It's a whole 'nother culture. These sports' players are their role models.
It really is like someone killing your favorite teacher.

I'm not condoning what they did. It was wrong. I'm just saying, I can understand the thought process behind it, and it isn't quite as barbaric as people are making it out to be.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
doomed as a species? no i'd say we're no where near as evolved as we like to think we are.. everyone crying out against the daily war atrocities are just repeating talking points and saying things that they think will make them come across more enlightened than another culture for ego's sake.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It is truly barbaric but it is too common in this world at the moment and may be with us for the duration.
edit on 6-7-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Animals being animals.

Only surprising if you are in denial at what we are.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well, yup, we're going backwards, what is the force behind the de-evolution?
That's the question.

Your post reminded me of this... maybe subconsciously we have chosen to de-evolve for our own good -

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

They are very passionate about football in Brazil...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Apparently it's common for referees to carry some form of weapon in Brazil to protect themselves from the fans & players that have a tendency to beat up the referee whenever they don't like his decision.

The player in question threw a punch at the ref over a disputed decision and the ref for some reason thought stabbing him would an appropriate response...it all went downhill from there.

Not particularly great P.R. for the 2016 Olympics and 2014 World Cup....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Need any more proof that people take sports way too seriously?
It probably qualifies as religion to some given the intensity of their passion for it.
irony is that in the original mayan ball game the winner got beheaded in honor of the Gods.
In that case i'd be happy with a trophy for being a benchwarmer.

I'm surprized at people who are surprized at
these goings on.

Yes people take it seriously.
However, all I need to do is make reference to
the fact that bets are made on sporting events.
Big money bets.

Two verses from scripture come to mind and the
first one I've been trying to drive into the minds of
ATS members ever since I signed on.

" The love of money is the root of all evil "

Fairytales ? Phfff ! No only an absolute truth.

The second one predicts such violence, as Christ
himself said that in last days, the world would be
just like in the time of Noah.

In Genesis six we can read an accurate description
of Noahs world and it says the whole earth was filled with
violence.

So, it's no surprize to me. And it won't be when it gets far worse
either..

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It was supposed to be just a game. Like so many other things people kill each other for now.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   

@OP, the referee was more than beheaded; he was quartered. Didn't you read the article you posted? Quartering is cutting or tearing a person in to four portions, although I think in this case it might have been that he was "fifthed".

I do hope this story makes for a teachable moment for all the people who think that all Muslims are violent and that their religion is violent. Here we have soccer fans from a predominantly Catholic country quartering a referee. Does that mean that all soccer fans, all Catholics and possibly all Brazilians are that violent? No. The same goes for Muslims; that a segment of its members does highly violent acts doesn't mean that is what the religion is all about.

Back to the particular incident in Brazil, I wonder if this will have any affect on potential World Cup games and the Olympics, which is scheduled to be hosted there.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Briles1207

Are we doomed as a species? The current level of barbarianism in the world astounds me.

You're seriously going there?

It almost feels that some parts of world are actually de-evolving.

Maybe that's just parts of your psyche.

It Is one manic killing after another, there is something in the water....

7 billion plus, and a few aren't expected to deviate from socially accepted behavior, and go psycho?

Let's get real here, most people posting on this site are sheltered in first and second world countries.

They don't realize what third world countries go through on a regular basis.

Beheading a referee, although extreme, isn't unheard of. Stabbing, and fighting are more common. We're incredibly sheltered in the US. If you bash on a ref, you'll get ejected from the game. If the ref bashes on you, he can get fired.

It's more primal in third world countries. Not a new phenomena. If anything, things are getting better in spite of the continued brutality that springs up.

No, this is more about sheltered people being in culture shock. They have no clue how the world operates outside their small corner of it.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
jeez, that's insane. Fistfight escalates into a stabbing, escalated into a chopped up body. Total insanity, and over a stupid game.......

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Sport

The thing that is supposed to bring enjoyment to the masses, I see no "sport" in acting like this.

Horrific from the start to finish, the fact a referee would feel he would need to be armed and the fact that crowd mentality can cause such inhumane acts is a harrowing set of facts.

It is hardly sporting to act like this in reaction to anything, I dunno maybe I'm too British or maybe too nice but I honestly believe that sport should be approached sportingly. Otherwise what is the point in games?

That is all it is football/soccer... it's just a game. A man lost his life in a disgusting backward way because of a game, you cannot justify that in any way.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join