It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful video on the superficiality of the ego, and it's relationship with dominance and boundarie

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Mckenna discusses the mass cultural hallucination that is the ego, how it is run on creating artificial boundaries between people.

the ego is a late arriving very tenuous highly uncertain of itself social structure that has taken root in the human psyche like tumor like a growth of some sort it is the left over of this primate dominance complex, and the way that it maintains itself is by the establishment of boundaries.

First of all: This is my body do not touch it.

Second of all: These are my weapons and agricultural tools, do not touch them.

This is my woman.
These are my children.
I hunt there.
So forth and so on.

It's this division of the world that allows this illusion of the world to come into existence.

[Mckenna continues]

Watch it. It's brilliant.

edit on 6-7-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Dear ZeuZZ,

the ego is a late arriving very tenuous highly uncertain of itself social structure that has taken root in the human psyche like tumor like a growth of some sort it is the left over of this primate dominance complex, and the way that it maintains itself is by the establishment of boundaries. First of all: This is my body do not touch it.

Lets try that first one, it is my body don't touch it. Yep, I agree with that and don't molest children and don't stab me and try and take my money. I like this poster, take a peek at it.

Therapeutic Resources - I AM ME POSTER

I was different than other kids and refused to accept what I was told. My mother bought me this poster around 1972. Here is what it says:

"In all the world, there is no one else exactly like me everything that comes out of me is authentically mine because I alone chose it - I own everything about me my body, my feelings, my mouth, my voice, all my actions. Whether they be to others or to myself - I own my fantasies, my dreams, my hopes, my fears - I own all my triumphs and successes, all my failures and mistakes - because I own all of me. I can become intimately acquainted with me - by so doing I can love me and be friendly with me in all my parts - I know there are aspects about myself that puzzle me, and other aspects that I do not know - but as long al I am friendly and loveing to myself, I can courageously and hopefully look for solutions to the puzzles and for ways to find out more about me - However I look and sound, whatever I say and do, and whatever I think and feel, at a given moment in time is authentically me - If later some parts of how I looked, sounded, thought and felt turn out to be unfitting. I can discard that which is unfitting, keep the rest, and invent something new for that which I discarded - I can see, hear, think, say and do I have the tools to survive, to be close to others, to be productive, and to make sense and order out of the world of people and things outside of me - I own me, and therefore I can engineer me - I am me and I am okay "

When my mother bought me the poster, I told her that I didn't need it because I was it. As I think back on it now, it was one of the best things she ever did for me, she validated my weirdness.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Man, my last trip was a tough one. It was one thing when I was younger, and a mystic. But as an older guy who's pretty secular, and a scientist, it just hits you so hard. You find yourself in the writhing universe of scientific ramifications, and its not particularly pleasant.

Boundaries, why do we have them? Just imagine you were God, the programmer of minds. And you removed all the boundaries from people on a bus. Yes they'd be honest with each other, (too honest?) they'd all hug, then someone would get frisky and we'd all get WAY closer than we normally would.

Then we'd all leave the experiences with infections and diseases we didn't have before because of that one bag lady.

The hard thing to accept is that the program that's running in our sober heads is pretty much the one that makes the most sense. The only thing which makes more sense is the more scientific, more rational program... But there's a catch 22 there too. e.g. There are professional seducers for instance who manipulate the psychology of women to get them into bed. But to do this requires the study of women as these biological organisms, and once this awareness is attained, its virtually impossible not to turn that same lens on yourself, and see your own biological program running which is driving you to get them in bed in the first place. So in order to manipulate them, you must first see them as machines - but that leads inevitably to you seeing yourself as a machine as well. The magic leaves, and you become aware of the fact with a diode stuck in a certain place in your brain, you'd get all the same pleasure without the women, and you have to ask "what's the point?"

So while science is truly power, too much of it sucks all the meaning from our lives, and makes any power pointless. So back we go, to our normal mindset, with its common sense, its bit-o-mystery in religious/spiritual stuff, its ego.

Unfortunately, its here because it works.

PEace

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ego is essential.....but its simply way overemphasized these days.
The entire human race is an inward turned mass of self contained greed and lust.
Too much of a good thing methinks.....

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestionLets try that first one, it is my body don't touch it. Yep, I agree with that and don't molest children and don't stab me and try and take my money. I like this poster, take a peek at it.

Eh?

Methinks you have missed the point. The point is directed at people that find any kind of human contact appalling or somehow a perversion of their privacy.

I don't think molesting children and stabbing classify as 'human contact', they are called crimes

Nice life story too.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeuZZ

Originally posted by AQuestionLets try that first one, it is my body don't touch it. Yep, I agree with that and don't molest children and don't stab me and try and take my money. I like this poster, take a peek at it.

Eh?

Methinks you have missed the point. The point is directed at people that find any kind of human contact appalling or somehow a perversion of their privacy.

I don't think molesting children and stabbing classify as 'human contact', they are called crimes

Nice life story too.

Dear ZeuZZ,

I did not miss the point at all and have heard it many times. The concept that we have to let go of ego, of recognizing our individuality is garbage. We are each unique and individual, that is ego and that is life. We need to take responsibility for us, for being us and for our actions.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Dear ZeuZZ,

I did not miss the point at all and have heard it many times. The concept that we have to let go of ego, of recognizing our individuality is garbage. We are each unique and individual, that is ego and that is life. We need to take responsibility for us, for being us and for our actions.

Dear AQuestion,

Just let it go.

Life is like a stream, you can either spend your life swimming against the current or you can let go and float with the stream.

edit on 7-7-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Dear ZeuZZ,

Just let it go. Life is like a stream, you can either spend your life swimming against the current or you can let go and float with the stream.

I have never taken the easy way in my life and neither do salmon, swim against the stream and deny ignorance, be you and take responsibility for being you. I will never give up being me, I worked too hard to become me.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestionI have never taken the easy way in my life and neither do salmon, swim against the stream and deny ignorance, be you and take responsibility for being you. I will never give up being me, I worked too hard to become me.

Dear AQuestion,

Eh?

You don't have to give up being you to get rid of your ego.

Getting rid of an ego merely means to free the mind up of mental processes that usually cloud your judgement based on needless worrying about what other people might think about you.

Worry is a misuse of imagination.

That is just one part of it, there are many more aspects.
edit on 7-7-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

Dear ZeuZZ,

Dear AQuestion, Eh? You don't have to give up being you to get rid of your ego. Getting rid of an ego merely means to free the mind up of mental processes that usually cloud your judgement based on needless worrying about what other people might think about you. Worry is a misuse of imagination. That is just one part of it, there are many more aspects.

LOL. It is okay to worry about what others think of you, it is a check. What is not okay is to cease being you just to make others happy and I never do that. Do you or have you?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
LOL. It is okay to worry about what others think of you, it is a check.

No. Worrying is ALWAYS pointless! Yes it can be useful to consider other people perspectives and what they may think of you but endless relentless 'trying to keep up a fake appearance' in front of people is absolutely pointless.

What is not okay is to cease being you just to make others happy and I never do that.

Finally, you seem to have got it.

Just be you.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

stirling
Ego is essential.....but its simply way overemphasized these days.
The entire human race is an inward turned mass of self contained greed and lust.
Too much of a good thing methinks.....

Yes aspects of the ego are certainly needed, but it's the spectrum of the ego known as egotism (more a pathology) is what he is talking about.

en.wikipedia.org...

Egotism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Egoism (disambiguation) and Egoist (disambiguation).
For the 1843 short story, see Egotism; or, The Bosom-Serpent.

Egotism is the drive to maintain and enhance favorable views of oneself, and generally features an inflated opinion of one's personal features and importance—intellectual, physical, social and other.[1]

The egotist has an overwhelming sense of the centrality of the 'Me': of their personal qualities.[2] Egotism means placing oneself at the core of one's world with no concern for others, including those loved or considered as "close," in any other terms except those set by the egotist.

If these things are, on any level, to be taken seriously as catalyzers or expanders of consciousness, then we need them, because it’s an absence of consciousness that is making this historical transition so excruciating.
edit on 6-4-2014 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join