It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza = Junk Food While a Sandwich = Healthy....Why?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
If you are like me, this has kept you awake many nights pondering and asking the Universal question...Pizza or Sandwich?

Little Johnny: "Mom, can I have pizza for lunch?"

Mom: "No junk food for lunch, I'll make you a sandwich".

Little Johnny: "Ok, Can I have ham, tomatoes, onions, cheese?"

Mom: "Absolutely!".

hmmmm.

So we have bread, veggies, meat, cheese on both plates only one is pizza (Not Pizza Pocket) and the other a sandwich. Both easily made with great ingredients.

The sandwich however will most likely have margarine or butter and maybe mayonnaise or mustard while the pizza usually has only tomato sauce.

Also a pizza will most likely have even more veggies. Not always but...

So why is pizza considered a junk food while a sandwich is seen as a healthier choice?

These are the things that keep me awake at night...

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Because the cheese on a pizza is greasy and oozin'! It's all nice and friendly on a sandwich.

To answer your question, I think a sandwich might be more nutritionally balanced than a pizza. A typical pizza is loaded with cheese and fatty meats (pepperoni) and not so much of the good stuff like fresh basil and bell peppers etc.

Everybody is going to have their definition of what's junk food and what's healthy. I think it just varies by family, really. I was raised by my grandparents and they have some pretty whacky ideas about what's junk food and what's healthy.

I'm talkin' about eggs, bacon, potatoes all fried up with some lard for breakfast every morning. That's healthy and nutritious according to them. While tasty, it's not the healthiest choice by far.

edit on 5-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Maybe more to do with how it is prepared and cooked I would have thought?

These days if you order Pizza in most places you tend to get a big fatty humongous deep pan Pizza that is more like a saturated fat pie, far too much cheese, overloaded with fatty meats if you order them and the ingredients are normally sprayed with GM nonsense.

Nothing wrong with an occasional Pizza if it is prepared from scratch, oven baked with fresh ingredients from locally sourced (no frills/no GMO) butchers and greengrocers?

Not only that but you can prepare exactly what you want, you know whats going into your gut and its darn tasty!

Damn it! I know what I am having for my next meal now

edit on 5-7-2013 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by jude11

Because the cheese on a pizza is greasy and oozin'!
It's all nice and friendly on a sandwich.

Grilled Cheez?

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think by the school systems definition pizza is more healthy now, since they deemed the tomato sauce as a vegetable serving! I feel healthier already.

neither are really that 'healthy' anyhow. Those processed meats that we all ate growing up are about as good for us as fukushima bay fresh catch of the day, or chernobyl farms chicken(between 3 and 7 drumsticks per chicken!).
edit on 5-7-2013 by Privateinquotations because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by jude11

These days if you order Pizza in most places you tend to get a big fatty humongous deep pan Pizza that is more like a saturated fat pie, far too much cheese, overloaded with fatty meats if you order them and the ingredients are normally sprayed with GM nonsense.

Nothing wrong with an occasional Pizza if it is prepared from scratch, oven baked with fresh ingredients from locally sourced (no frills/no GMO) butchers and greengrocers?

Not only that but you can prepare exactly what you want, you know whats going into your gut and its darn tasty!

Agreed,

Takes 5 minutes to make a delicious dough, keep some in the fridge.

All fresh ingredients etc.

I should know, It's my living.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
reply to post by jude11

I think by the school systems definition pizza is more healthy now, since they deemed the tomato sauce as a vegetable serving! I feel healthier already.

neither are really that 'healthy' anyhow. Those processed meats that we all ate growing up are about as good for us fukushima bay fresh catch of the day, or chernobyl farms chicken(between 3 and 7 drumsticks per chicken!).

The only issue I have now is the actual flour that so many are having problems with.

Other than that...all good if you source your meat. Or just a good veggie pie is always welcome.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

I'm talkin' about eggs, bacon, potatoes all fried up with some lard for breakfast every morning. That's healthy and nutritious according to them. While tasty, it's not the healthiest choice by far.
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

It sounds so damn good though! Just gotta do it once in a while to feel alive.

Although my guilty pleasure is an occasional homemade biscuits and gravy......

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
reply to post by jude11

neither are really that 'healthy' anyhow. Those processed meats that we all ate growing up are about as good for us fukushima bay fresh catch of the day, or chernobyl farms chicken(between 3 and 7 drumsticks per chicken!).

When I was growing up pizza was considered junk food...even in school. Although I'm so old now that pizza was just being invented when I was about 6.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Neither is bad for us in moderation. Watch for a lot of chemicals in them though, some pizzas have a big list and even taste chemically. There is a lot of sodium in pizza with little chloride. We should consume at least twice as much chloride as sodium to stay half way healthy.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

And they didn't melt cheese on top? Barbarians!

Yeah, I remember dad keeping the can of bacon drippins' under the sink so that all the flavor was kept and used for the next concoction.

He used to warm it up sometimes and dip bread in it.

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Agreed,

Takes 5 minutes to make a delicious dough, keep some in the fridge.

All fresh ingredients etc.

I should know, It's my living.

Peace

I am no chef but I really enjoy cooking, sourcing food ingredients, making my own dishes and cooking every meal from scratch with few exceptions. Most of the time it is cheaper too, it is also far healthier if you do not mind that bit of extra time it takes to prepare a meal. Once you get the hang of things, in time you can cook almost any meal speedily.

I think people should really get in touch with what they put into their guts because its your fuel for not just your body but your mind and you will never get more out than what you put in.

Anyways, enough of the preachy stuff and good on you for not cooking big gigantor/frankenstein pizza fat fests.

Just a Pizza my opinion of course.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

bacon drippins'...He used to warm it up sometimes and dip bread in it.

Have you ever heard of the old-timers making a salad with mayo as a substitute for salad dressing? It's just one of those old-timey recipes I'm not willing to try.

You'd be amazed at some of the snacks assembled through the Great Depression era.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
LOL....well as I'm getting older pepperoni pizza has kept me up nights with heartburn...
I still Love it though...

I think the quality of ingredients make the difference in either a sandwich or a pizza in terms of how healthy they are.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Have you ever heard of the old-timers making a salad with mayo as a substitute for salad dressing? It's just one of those old-timey recipes I'm not willing to try.

You'd be amazed at some of the snacks assembled through the Great Depression era.

Hey, I still think it's gross that some like mayo with their fries or ketchup on their eggs...

Peace

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I can probably live on pizza. It's to bad there isn't a pizza diet.

edit on 5-7-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Moms are control freaks with an embedded "no" mechanism to certain requests. It got there from the mom mom mom mom mom kids did when they were younger. So, when you ask mom, can we have some pizza, it's going to be no, as a knee jerk reaction, not from anything that makes sense, and they will make stuff up for why not. At the core they're saying to go buy and make your own food if you want something that bad. This is especially true if you have one of those siblings in the family that can finish a gallon of milk in a day. Count the cost of it, a sandwich is a smaller cheaper unit that can be eaten cold while a pizza isn't. I think the ratio of cheese to bread is the issue, and then pizza wouldn't be a treat if you ate it every day. It's a reward food, ooh.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I can have pizza or I can have a sandwich; but...I choose healthy organic ingredients.

Pizza... organic whole wheat flour and all the fixings organic too.

Same for a sandwich....organic whole grain sprouted bread...and everything else organic and healthy.

I think it really comes down to (what are the ingredients) in everything we eat.

I don't eat white flour nor overly processed foods.

So I can have my pizza and eat my sandwich too!

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

yep that's what I was gonna say.

Unless it's homemade pizza, it's most likely greasy and fake cheese.
If i had to guess, most people eating pizza are eating either fast food pizza, or one's bought pre-made at a store.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Don't knock it until you have tried it (mayo, ranch dressing, black pepper, garlic powder mix it all up...maybe I'm just too lazy to make a coleslaw). Even put mayo on a cooked pizza, steak, eggs, hot dogs... Especially good on a Japanese style hamburger steak.

I think the pizza is now seen in the same light as the sandwich. Both are good until you start adding over-processed crud to them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join