It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous: Hawthorne Police our primary target

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Anonymous: Hawthorne Police our primary target

laist.com

Anonymous, the computer hacking activist group, uploaded a YouTube video threatening against the Hawthorne Police Department for shooting and killing a dog in a widely publicized incident.
The City of Hawthorne's site has been crippled since Monday after a video of the shooting went viral and they were besieged with threats via e-mail and social media.
"We are not sure who is responsible, but there was a DDOS, or distributed denial of service, attack," a police source told the LA Daily News on the condition of anonymity. "The city website has been down since Monday."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7/5/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I posted about this man's dog being killed by the Hawthorne Police a few days ago. Now anonymous has taken up the cause. Check it out. I'm pleased with their decision to get involved. The officers involved have also received death threats and have had to have a security detail when they are off duty. While I wouldn't agree with killing these men, it shows how heated things are around here over things like this.

laist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/5/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

Rosby held a press conference Wednesday asking the public to "calm down" and stop making threats against the officers.

if only he and his fellow officers

practiced what they preached...

nice to see some people are starting to understand what Anonymous is and how to go about starting your own cell

edit on 5-7-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
While I don't condone mob mentality or criminal actions, (as those types of things can quickly get out of hand and throw justice to the wayside) there has to be something said about these types of "Ops" by anon.

Essentially, the interconnectivity the internet gives us today is the ability of public opinion to present a massive force against leaders, or authorities in general.

While their actions are crossing a line, it's a line that has been drawn because of abuse of power.

I did mention in the other thread the owner had some faults of his own in the encounter, but the major failure was by the police officers who acted out simply because it's the norm, or simply because they could. The owner put the dog in the car, (the windows were open granted) but it wasn't until they got physically forceful with the man that the dog jumped out to defend them. They crossed the first line.

The owner had a history of run ins with the police where he stated that he was mistreated or his rights were violated. The neighbourhood makes claims of lopsided pressure and prejudicial behaviour from the police in general. Given that, to clear away those stereotypes the police will need to set a positive example in that district.

This is not impossible by the way. There have been many police departments that have made efforts to change the public perception in many districts. This isn't easy though. This means interacting with the public in a positive way. Not being an ass is priority one.

It only takes one bad apple to completely screw up public perception of the police and this is why it is entirely necessary for them to be even more strict with discipline with their own. The blue shield needs to vanish. This whole above the law thinking needs to go away. (Just like at the IRS when they are ripping into organizations and people for suspicion of breaking tax code, but when their behaviour is questioned they plead the 5th.)

So while it's hard to condone these actions, they are a result of public opinion coming back at abuse of power.

1000 years ago it might have been a dung pie or an egg launched at a feudal Lord from anonymity of a crowd. Today it's this.

Unless the people in power start addressing these issues with actual investigations and realistic reprimands (not instant absolution from friendly agencies or inter-agencies), this kind of thing is bound to happen.

One day we saw the dog being shot, the next day we saw a handcuffed suspect getting elbowed in the back of the head into a paddy wagon. In the second case the judge said video evidence would be omitted and then of course, there is no case.

When officials start investigating and prosecuting crimes by their own people, setting a standard for these things as intolerable, perhaps anon (everyone) will be satisfied with the result. Until then, expect vigilante justice, as justice is sought, and if it's not provided, someone will fill the gap.

Kind of like a free market effect with morality.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
lol anon is so fail these days. DDoS attack? Yes that will do so much because the police just need that website so badly. Anon used to be feared and respected, now its just a bad joke that won't go away.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Out of all the serious injustice and suffering done to humans all over the planert they have deemed "Hawthorne Police our primary target" because a dog got killed

Can someone please call James cameron ..the bar needs to be raised.

edit on 6-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Havent you noticed how, when someone gets a DDOS hit its not to cripple the site, or the organization.... its for information.
Imagine, if every police officers name, address, credit card, social security, email address, sources names etc etc was dumped via some proxy into a text document, each and every person in that facility will be compromised when every crack head, corrupt cop, crooked rat knows the names and addresses of those officers.

edit on 6-7-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
What you all are failing to realize is this isn't a one time incident. We deal with these types of incidents with our police in So Cal on a daily basis, and they shoot people most often. The dog is just the icing on the cake. I don't expect supehans to understand why anonymous is involved, he has proven his ignorance to us all already, but surely everyone else must understand this Police abuse and corruption has gone on long enough and it's time we stand up for ourselves, and our loved one's and loved pets even, and do something about it.
edit on 7/6/2013 by TheCrimsonGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Most operations are never put on the news.. So unless you check out there operations how would you know the only thing they do is Ddos...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Anonymous is another one of those counter cultures spearheaded by the CIA.

So much undelivered promises from them. When give every American like $1,000,000 ala the Fed, then they say something. Even though they did do a solid with case...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

I did mention in the other thread the owner had some faults of his own in the encounter, but the major failure was by the police officers who acted out simply because it's the norm, or simply because they could.

I think the biggest problem with US police is that too many of them are trigger happy, it's like giving a gun to a chimp.

These idiots are so eager to shoot, they'll find an excuse to kill, just for the thrill of having shot something. This is what happens when you put a thug in uniform and give them a gun and some power.

It's always shocking to me how untrained these idiots seem to be. Using a gun should be a LAST RESORT in every instance, but so many cops in the US pull out their gun before they do anything else.

It's out of control, and I agree that Anonymous is an expected result of that unrestrained insanity. This is what happens when people in positions of power and trust abuse those positions, and are then never held accountable for their abuses, you end up with vigilantes working to fight back against them.

If corrupt, violent and dangerous cops were actually held to account for their actions, instead of let off or defended by their equally corrupt and violent bosses, then there would be no need for a vigilante group to create justice.

Police are supposed to be acting by the permission of the public. When an officer loses that trust, there cannot be any place for them in law enforcement. That's what it comes down to, people have spoken and they do not want men like that in their police force. If he remains, trust will be further eroded and there will be more animosity and distrust from thousands more citizens.

If Hawthorne police knows what's good for them, they'll suspend and then fire this officer. If they don't, thousands more within that community will feel more distrust and animosity and the work of the police and their relationship with the community will slide even further.

Any senior officer who tries to defend this cop and his actions will immediately lose faith and trust from the people they are supposed to be serving.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

Rosby held a press conference Wednesday asking the public to "calm down" and stop making threats against the officers.

if only he and his fellow officers

practiced what they preached...

nice to see some people are starting to understand what Anonymous is and how to go about starting your own cell

edit on 5-7-2013 by TheMagus because: added comment

FYI, Rosby is the owner of the dog, not one of the police...

I don't think death threats are appropriate, but at a minimum the shooter's career in in law enforcement or any position of authority should be ended...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Havent you noticed how, when someone gets a DDOS hit its not to cripple the site, or the organization.... its for information.
Imagine, if every police officers name, address, credit card, social security, email address, sources names etc etc was dumped via some proxy into a text document, each and every person in that facility will be compromised when every crack head, corrupt cop, crooked rat knows the names and addresses of those officers.

edit on 6-7-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

You seem confused, and you seem to be deliberately trying to paint a false picture in defense of corrupt cops too.

A DDoS attack is not a hacking, it's not targeted to gather information. DDoS is directing traffic to a site until there is more traffic than the server can handle. This is why it's not technically illegal.

Anonymous doesn't need to hack any site to get information on officers. There is a lot out there, and plenty of those officers have Facebook accounts, public records and more which can be gained in all sorts of ways.

When Anon profiles and releases information on someone, 90% of that information is freely available to anyone out there withe access to Google, and Facebook, they just gather it all together in one neat little package.

Yes, they have hacked servers before in an effort to steal data, I think that's been highlighted several times in the past. But you seem to be deliberately trying to defend these officers with false information, and "what if" statements.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocker2013

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

A DDoS attack is not a hacking, it's not targeted to gather information. DDoS is directing traffic to a site until there is more traffic than the server can handle. This is why it's not technically illegal.

Anonymous doesn't need to hack any site to get information on officers. There is a lot out there, and plenty of those officers have Facebook accounts, public records and more which can be gained in all sorts of ways.

Yes.
Anonymous' actions, at least in this capacity, is more of a passive, peaceful protest. The extent of police overkill responses in recent history seems to be building over the past couple years. While I believe that death threats to the officers and their families is not a noble response by the public, at the very least Anonymous is calling attention to this case through a more or less peaceful means (DDoS). Also the petitions being signed and the attention being called to them is, IMO, an effective and valuable tool for the non-domestic terrorist public. I get the feeling that some people think this ought to be like a revenge movie; the police do something wrong, and the next day they're found murdered in their beds next to a guy fawke's mask and a horse's head.There are several avenues of response, and I tihnk the most important one is bringing public attention to these cases of abuse of authority.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
Out of all the serious injustice and suffering done to humans all over the planert they have deemed "Hawthorne Police our primary target" because a dog got killed

Can someone please call James cameron ..the bar needs to be raised.

edit on 6-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

I'd have to agree. This doesn't sound like the side of Anonymous that has made serious strikes to really gain the attention and rage of TPTB. This sure isn't the wing of Anonymous with the brainpower to have pulled off Stratfor and then gotten away with it.

This sounds like the division of Anonymous made up of 13yr olds in Momma's basement with their big fancy computer for the summer break.

When dog shootings are what they figure this crazy world has as a reigning problem to focus energy on to correct? We'll be living in utopia. This sure is digging the bottom for things to be calling for action on.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
lol anon is so fail these days. DDoS attack? Yes that will do so much because the police just need that website so badly. Anon used to be feared and respected, now its just a bad joke that won't go away.

Hey, they might send some pizzas to the Hawthorne Police Dept.

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well to be honest Anonymous isn't structured at all. Anyone can start an Anonymous Op.

edit on 6-7-2013 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Sadly you are failing to see the bigger picture. This isn't about just a dog shooting. It is about police brutality, corruption and abuse of power and people and animals alike.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This is why I despise and absolutely abhor the pigs. Any time I'm driving somewhere and I spot a cop car or trooper, I immediately get this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach and fear begins to creep in.

I've had my run in as a youth and have had friends beaten to oblivion with law suits against them. Harrassed my whole youth.

When I see cops, I see the enemy

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Not all police are bad people, it just a shame theres a whole bunch of them ruining it. I blame the training they get and the way the police command system in the US is structured. They get far to much of a free reign to do what ever they want.

In the UK we have a few bad coppers but most of the time there are people in charge of them who know where they are ad what they are doing most of the time which make abuses of power slightly more difficult.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCrimsonGhost

Sadly you are failing to see the bigger picture. This isn't about just a dog shooting. It is about police brutality, corruption and abuse of power and people and animals alike.

Well, I thought I heard Anonymous connect the dog and a call to action here. Now when Fullerton P.D. beat a homeless man to death, Anonymous had a pretty good point about calling for public fury. They got it too. Good for them on that. Likewise the case of Scott Olsen in Oakland and the apparent efforts to cover who did what on the Police side in that whole mess.

Anonymous does good things occasionally. That's the thing. They are everyone and they are no one. It can be that 13yr old on summer break for one instance or the modern day Kevin Mitnick in the next.

My father shot 2 dogs over his 15 years as a cop in a city not far from Hawthorne. He had to go through the full shooting review board on both, as I'm sure this cop will have to as well. It's a long bureaucratic process no one ever wants to go through. He sat on the board from that end a couple times toward the end and told me a bit about it. Those 2 dogs he shot also bothered him more than the couple of people he very nearly shot and actually wished he had, to the day he passed away.

It looked like a good shoot in terms of policy and necessity with a very tragic outcome which was made worse by the fact it was anything but a quick or clean kill. Most cops own dogs. No cop wants to shoot a dog (If they do, they need other work...like mall security) and no cop who hasn't taken outright leave of all his senses, wants to shoot a dog for world video (of course they knew they were being filmed all along here), in a residential neighborhood with people who could turn real ugly all around.

I think it's a tragedy, not a social unrest for call to action. A tragedy the dog's owner could have prevented at least a couple different ways and now has to live with what he made happen by action and omission of action.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join