It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snowden makes Norway asylum application

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Now it seems that Ed Snowden is applying for asylum in Norway.

Apparently the efforts of some Iceland Parliament members failed to grant him citizenship there.

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has applied for asylum in Norway, according to the country’s foreign minister. Norway foreign ministry spokesperson Frode Andersen confirmed that they received a faxed asylum application at their Moscow embassy on Monday afternoon. He added that it’s most likely from Mr Snowden and the signature is allegedly his, but they cannot be 100 per cent sure of that.

The spokesman gave no details about the letter’s content or from where the asylum application was faxed from.

Snowden, who faces charges in the US for leaking secret surveillance information, has gone on record as saying the US government is refusing his right to seek asylum, revealed a WikiLeaks statement earlier on Monday.

Story from Ice News

I hope he gets some protection from somebody somewhere.

Snowden needs all the help he can get.
edit on Jul-05-2013 by xuenchen because: Tooo

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Whoever gives asylum to this good man, will receive recognition from most of the people of the world and God. Whoever is against this good man, is also against them.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I know I will get attacked for this, but this is my opinion and just that.....I think the man is a traitor, when you work for a Branch of the government like NSA you know what you are getting yourself into...as soon as he leaked this information he broke the law, plain and simple.

If you work for The Military, NSA, CIA, etc. you lose some of your rights to bust things open when you are dealing with classified information. Now if Anonymous would have broke this by hacking, I would have a ton more respect, but some punk that works for NSA thinks he knows better then our US security officials deserves to rot in jail.

Now with that being said...I though as a whole we understood what was going to come from the Patriot Act? Also the purpose of the NSA facility in Utah was to move the NSA communications monitoring which is phone, email, text, etc. I do not understand why so many people are surprised? It is not like they have someone personally listening in on every conversation, they have algorithms that search for key words, then an analyst looks at it if it is flagged.

I do not feel my rights are being compromised? Again, this is my opinion.

edit on 7/5/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/5/2013 by Djayed because: Me spells so GOOD

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Me too! I hadn't even followed this case, but then saw a picture of him, what a beautiful young man with integrity in his eyes. I hope Norway offers him a home and he doesn't stop his work to awaken others.
edit on 5-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What I don't understand is how someone like him gets to work for NSA, and he leaks classified information. Where it would be a cold day in hell before they hire me, and I would die before being a traitor and leaking classified information (Regardless of the information).

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The sweet irony of it all.

Just to start... Snowden was also CIA. The information he leaked was not shocking at all. Many people already knew ( or assumed ) that these things were happening anyway. My posting and thread history certainly demonstrate this fact. While this information did get a LOT of press - nothing about it was shocking really... he just added a few more catchphrases to the lexicon we use.

I did mention that Snowden was also CIA? Right? Previous to the job that led him to being contracted to the NSA... as an employee of Booz Allen Hamilton - a "consulting firm" that gets 99% of it's revenue from the Federal government....

Seeing the patterns here yet?

Tell me something? Who benefited from this leak? The people? We knew we were being watched before this. We know we are being watched now. Nothing in practice has changed or will change.... except the dialogue and rhetoric. The people will hold Snowden up as a Patriot and a hero - even as the Government sources Snowden as the justification and reason to clamp down even tighter on information and digital communications. Even as they pull the curtains closed even more closely - telling us that they have to be extra secretive because those Snowdens and those Assanges and those Mannings just keep rocking the boat...

Asymmetrical warfare in a media environment.

Sometimes we're just so easy.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Having followed with some interest about Snowden, the following can be stated:

I do not consider Snowden a traitor. Nor do I consider him a patriot, but rather I believe he is a man who comitted a criminal act. There are laws that govern a person who handles and has access to classified information. Like any job, some rules are set in stone, with consequences for breaking them and he unfortunately broke them and should pay the consequences for his actions.

While he stated he did not want to be in the dark and behind the scenes, that is fine, ok, but why run? Ever sense he revealed he was the source of the leak, why has he been running? It makes no sense, and then why to the different countries that would and could make him dissappear?

There are too many questions that are not being answered and unfortunately, he has to realize that the countries that could offer him safe harbor are quickly starting to reduce grow less and less as the days go by. And the countries that would be willing to give him safeharbor, well lets just say they may not be the sanctuary that he would like for them to be.

His entire flight seems to have been ill thought out, and badly planned, with no real way to determine on where he could go. He is stuck in Russia right now, does he go to another country only get get stuck in another airport, with no real way to leave or go anywhere?

He has not been seen or heard from, since it was revealed he was in Moscow. He is stuck in limbo, and the question now how to be asked this:

Was it worth it? Was it worth throwing away a career, and a salary that most of us wish we could have to do the right thing? Was it worth it to leave the country and ultimately be on the run, never to be able to return home to visit family and friends ever again? Is he hoping for that last minute reprive from justice or a pardon? The more he runs the far worse it is going to be for him in the long run, cause one day he will simply disappear, and what should have been in the publics eye will be done in the dark.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

I know I will get attacked for this, but this is my opinion and just that.....I think the man is a traitor, when you work for a Branch of the government like NSA you know what you are getting yourself into...as soon as he leaked this information he broke the law, plain and simple.

The US government is out of control and it's been out of control for decades. When the legislative branch does not even read the content of the bills they vote on, can there be *any* doubt as to the integrity of the process? The fact that our mainstream media has been totally co-opted is another clear indication of malevolence. Secret human experiments anyone? Murders? Torture? Kidnapping? Secret prisons? Aggressive war? WMD? Drug running? Weapons trafficking? False flags? Just what does it take to open your eyes?

We are living thru a period analogous to the the Nazi takeover of Germany, the fascist takeover of Italy or the rise of the dictatorship in Spain. I don't think you will find too many people that think acts of resistance to these regimes was criminal.

Snowden is a hero. The real deal.

edit on 5-7-2013 by juspassinthru because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Well Snowdon has applied for asylum in 21 countries (as of 4 July).

According t the Guardian, the Norwegian response was...

Norway
Unlikely. The Norwegian deputy justice secretary, Paal Loenseth, told
the state broadcaster NRK: "Applying for asylum should be done on
Norwegian soil." He added: "The Norwegian authorities can theoretically permit entry to Norway and asylum to a person that we think is important for foreign political reasons but I can't see any such reasons in this particular case."
Under its right of initiative, Norwegian Pen, which promotes literature and freedom of expression, has demanded that Snowden's application be reviewed. This means that the Norwegian directorate of immigration can no longer dismiss the application merely on the grounds that it was not filed from Norway. But it does not follow that it will be granted.

Source

www.guardian.co.uk...

His problem is leaving Russia at the moment!

Regards

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
Was it worth it? Was it worth throwing away a career, and a salary that most of us wish we could have to do the right thing? Was it worth it to leave the country and ultimately be on the run, never to be able to return home to visit family and friends ever again?

He will most likely be exiled for life or killed for his heroism.

Instead of asking if it was "worth it" to him, ask yourself if our sheep-like hypnosis to US government conduct is "worth it". Every act of criminal conduct by the US government we have ignored has resulted in far-worse conduct to follow.

This regime no longer resembles the government our founding fathers created.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Our coward Norwegian government is never going to let him on the soil as it would cause a diplomatic nightmare for them. We have elections this year, but the only party that want to accept him is the pirate party.

He couldn't be extradited as he faces breaches of human rights.

This could be a safe heaven, we have given the peace price to a Chinese whistle blower.
However when it is the US, we give the Peace price to the president and deny the whistle blower safe passage.

It's quite sad really.
It is especially important for the incumbent government to secure good standings around the world so they can buy their way into high international positions in the UN etc.
They are bound to lose the election this autumn.

new topics

top topics

join