It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clues about autism may come from the gut

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It is bit paradoxical that advances in molecular biology are gate to understanding of gut microbiom importance for (not only) human health and also pathway how to destroy it - for holly profit of few, whorish scientists counted.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

(Medical Xpress)—The importance of the bacteria that live within our digestive tracts is just beginning to be fully realized, and while it has long been known that they assist in digestion and absorption of nutrients, little has been understood about the stability of the microbiota population. Now a U.S. study suggests the gut flora are relatively stable over several years and possibly over our entire lifetimes.

medicalxpress.com...

it would look to me that families share the types and numbers of microbiota in their gut,
this can be looked at similar to the way genes impact family groups,

and could explain why some family groups are more likely to display symptoms.

so maby part genes and part gut flora are two sides of the same coin

xploder

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

It should be clear to all but at least to most of us that symbiosis is the best path and only path toward a stable increase in stability of complex system.

There is also an increase in the disconnect of humans and their natural environment (that we even do not know much about, in some respects we are very different from our primate cousins in our particular biological characteristics, from the lack of fur, weaved fingers and the layer of fat) the best guest puts us into a semi-aquatic environment, now if anyone lives in high humidity areas there is no other place to have living things grow out of everything else, even other living things...

There is also much to say about parasitology but consider that even a virus has no real profit in causing the termination of the host system...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Family members living together and sharing food have probably similar microbiom composition but not exactly same. In fact there is discussion about how to use microbiom genetic information as forensic evidence more accurate than fingerprints. While in equilibrium microbiom composition would be relatively stable IF you are on stable diet and IF your gut flora is not subjected to "antibiotical genocide"
. For example if long time vegetarian starts eat meat it will take few month before his/her gut squatters are reinforced by meat loving strains. My meat eating friends are not able to properly digest amount of peas and vegetable I eat daily - that can be observed by ears and nose

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Very interesting thread.

I was always very healthy, then mysteriously developed an auto-immune problem in the early naughties. This was around the time i first lived on my owned and started eating more processed food.

It manifested as Sero-Negative Arthritis, meaning a particular serum was missing from my blood and this caused an inflammatory response. So it's 'phantom' arthritis - no actual joint problems, but the body thinks there is and the joints become painful and swell up. Mine was worse in my ribs, making sleeping very difficult indeed.

Anyway, after being pumped with high dose pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs for a year it was just getting worse. A steroid injection didn't help and it seemed i'd now need a stick to help me walk (i'd been a highly athletic person just a year before).

Drs suggested i move to a more powerful drug called Methotrexate, giving me a leaflet explaining how harmless and great it was. After Googling it i found out it's actually a cancer drug - very powerful stuff that virtually kills off your immune system.

To me this was like hitting an ant with a sledge hammer - trying to kill off my whole immune system in the hope that it might be reconstituted without the arthritis. A pretty unsofisticated way to deal with this, using a worse medical issue to cure a lesser one - not a million miles from using leaches, really

So, there was no way i was going to take Methotrexate and this just showed me the Drs were either grasping at straws or using me as a Guinea Pig, or just flogging expensive drugs at the behest of big pharma dogma. I never went back to those Drs and stopped taking all the drugs they were selling me and what'ya know, within a month virtually all the symptoms were gone!

That was a decade ago. since then the arthritis has always been present - if i exert myself, or if i'm run down, or stressed i get the inflammatory arthritis in the ribs, or sometimes, lately the hips. But i've been taking Acidophilus for a few years and feel it's helping (maybe that's just placebo or imagined, i have no real proof it helps).

My feeling is that the Acidophilus does indeed help, even if i'm only taking a relatively small dose (1 billion once a day, since it's very expensive).

Furthermore - and this is where my story finally becomes relevant to this thread - this suggests to me that it's an imbalance of bacteria in my gut that is the root cause of my auto immune problems. Certainly i have a tendency towards this which is strongly suggested by that missing blood serum and the fact that i've always suffered other auto immune problems; Eczema and Hay Fever. But do these factors cause the Flora imbalance, or is it the Flora imbalance that causes these factors?

It's sad that i had to give up my vocation as a filmmaker, since when tried to continue to make films, while working full time to pay the rent the arthritis returned and i couldn't sleep, thus i couldn't work or film. But if i'd followed Drs advice i'd likely be fully incapacitated and on welfare. At least now, with the aid of Acidophilus (i think!) i can work for living.

I sincerely hope that Drs are endeavouring to perhaps map the connections between Flora and these medical issues, so i can finally get a cure and start making films again, before it's old age, rather than illness that prevents me

edit on 6-7-2013 by McGinty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

it would look to me that families share the types and numbers of microbiota in their gut,
this can be looked at similar to the way genes impact family groups,

and could explain why some family groups are more likely to display symptoms.

so maby part genes and part gut flora are two sides of the same coin

Indeed - their may well be a 'Flora fingerprint', much like the genetic DNA fingerprint. If so, could there one day be advanced flora therapy that's unique to an individuals fingerprint, like gene therapy is now (as i -think- i understand it) ?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

While we're blaming everything else for Autism here,let us not forget Doctors.Yes I said Doctors,every 10 years or so they come up with a fav diagnosis and label a ton of children with it.Remember the hyperactive kids back in the '80s?They were doping every kids they could get they're hands on with Ritlin.Tried it with mine and I told them,so my boys are hyper.Boys are and thats life,they'll grow out of it.
The teachers were helping push this agenda too.I got into it at school because I pointed out that if they had discipline in the classroom the kids wouldn't be acting like they had lost they're minds.My boys both are grown adults now and yeah,no hyperness there now.

When I was growing up we had kids that were considered (not my name to call them) retarded.That was the name that doctors used.Then there was autistic kids too.Now days children with downs syndrome are lumped in with autistic kids.Its become the new umbrella diagnosis since the '00s.

I'm not going to tell anyone that eating GMO foods is healthy,I think we all know better than that.Its not just the GMOs either.All the antibiotics they are feeding livestock I believe has caused the increase in antibiotic resistant staph and other things.My point here is,before we can start to look seriously at this issue.We are going to need to stop with the umbrella diagnosis for kids so that we can look at each separate issue and find the cause.
But I'm sure corperations that profit from livestock and medications wouldn't like that.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER
there is more and more evidence of Bacterial flora inhabiting the human gut,
playing a major part in all sorts of different conditions.

this means any chemicals ingested could kill off the healthy bacteria that keep us healthy.

the recent ats thread about pigs stomachs being degraded from gmo consumption should come as a warning,

Controversy surrounds the apparent explosive rise in autism cases. Heightened awareness of autism spectrum disorders and more diligent efforts at diagnosis must account for some of the increase, yet many researchers believe a genuine epidemic is occurring. In addition to hereditary components, Western-style diets and overuse of antibiotics at an early age may be contributing to the problem by lowering the diversity of the gut microflora.

www.sciencecodex.com...

IF the toxic effect of BT poison and stomach damage from GMO ingestion damages the micro-flora communities in your gut there may be long term effects on your health.

the study of these gut microbes in increasing at a very fast rate as the scientific community recognises the very important job the preform for our bodies.

it would look like any food that kills off healthy gut bacteria that could effect,

Lower diversity of gut microbes was positively correlated with the presence of autistic symptoms in the study. The authors stress that bacterial richness and diversity are essential for maintaining a robust and adaptable bacterial community capable of fighting off environmental challenges. "We believe that a diverse gut is a healthy gut," Krajmalnik-Brown says.

it could also be aggravating other problems like diabetes.

One of the reasons we started addressing this topic is the fact that autistic children have a lot of GI problems that can last into adulthood," Krajmalnik-Brown says. "Studies have shown that when we manage these problems, their behavior improves dramatically."

www.sciencecodex.com...

if we look at our gut microbes like a healthy community,
it makes me ask the question what does eating GMOs with there built in poisons do to our gut microbes,
and could the rise of microbe killing BT toxins be the first cause in autism?

i am not a doctor and this is not intended as medical advice, consult your doctor for medical advice
but you should be aware that your gut has microbes that could be the key to good health,
do you really want to eat foods that kill of our macrobiotic, symbiotic health regulators?

xploder

It doesn't even need to be the good bacteria dying off. It could be communication between the bacteria and cells in the stomach line that gets disrupted. We known that their is a chemical called ghrelin that is related to growth of the brain:

"Ghrelin is a potent stimulator of growth hormone secretion from the anterior pituitary gland.[3] The ghrelin receptor is a G protein-coupled receptor, known as the growth hormone secretagogue receptor. Ghrelin binds to the GHSR1a splice-variant of this receptor which is present in high density in the hypothalamus, pituitary as well as vagal afferent cell bodies and vagal afferent endings throughout the gastro-intestinal tract.[4][5]

Ghrelin plays a significant role in neurotrophy, particularly in the hippocampus, and is essential for cognitive adaptation to changing environments and the process of learning.[6][7] Ghrelin has been shown to activate the endothelial isoform of nitric oxide synthase in a pathway that depends on various kinases including Akt.[8]"

en.wikipedia.org...

Now if you mess up the feelings of "feeling full" and "feeling hungry" then you either get anorexic or overweight.

I know for myself, a good lunch makes all the difference with my ability to concentrate and focus on work in the afternoon and just having to repeat things in order to get them right, with a good lunch being things like grated cheese, carrots, cucumber slices, lettuce and sliced fruit like apples, and a not so good lunch being fillers like rice, bread, or soup. Heavy meals like red meat in thick gravy sauces will just make me fall asleep.
edit on 6-7-2013 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I believe I have to concur...

I'm an Aspie, and I don't have nothing really wrong with my digestive system (aside from getting sick from strawberries, but that's an allergic reaction). I also get a touch of lactose intolerance, but it runs in my family. So I'll go along with you and say there's more to genetics with ASDs than GMOs or other nasties going into the system.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Gee, it couldn't be untreated food poisoning, could it?

A lot of people blame the MMR (Measels, Mumps, Rubella) shot for Autism. It couldn't be that most of them go out to eat after they take their kid to get a shot while their kid's immune system is suppressed from the MMR shot. Could it? What damage could be done before the immune system gets back to normal after the MMR shot? A ton of damage. Look up 'untreated long-term salmonella poisoning' sometime.

I'm pretty sure I had food poisoning back in 2006 and I think my intestines are finally recovering from it. And I'm an adult with a pretty good immune system (as far as I know). Anything that interrupts those kids getting the proper nutrients is going to cause problems.
edit on 6-7-2013 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade)- 2 Scoops everyday
6 Eggs - everyday they are the essense of life - good for Alzheimers as well.

Cut out grains of any type - well yah beer cant give that up but no bread or pasta or cereal.
No Aspartame or any of that crap or GMO.

I feel great!!!

edit on 6-7-2013 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join