It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Non-Religious Abortion Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I'm starting this thread to prove a point, and if I'm successful, this should be a very short topic.

My position is that abortion and contraceptives that harm fertilized eggs should be illegal. I think its murder and it should be stopped.

Now if you disagree with me, I'd like to hear you argue against my position without the use of pointless religious attacks, and I'm asking those who do agree with me to refrain from doing so as well.

So without further adieu, let the debate begin.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Because it should be a personal decision, no one should believe they have the power over anyone to dictate their life,

Personal opinion and belief is a freedom we all have and should exercise, but shouldn't cross over into governing over peoples life because it doesn't coincide with someones personal thought

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
Because it should be a personal decision, no one should believe they have the power over anyone to dictate their life,

So you don't think a woman having an abortion is dictating that fetus's life?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

My position is that abortion and contraceptives that harm fertilized eggs should be illegal. I think its murder and it should be stopped.

So you believe life begins at fertilization?

What gives you that idea?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Bone75

So you believe life begins at fertilization?

What gives you that idea?

~Tenth

No, I understand that a new and completely unique human life begins at fertilization.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

No, I understand that a new and completely unique human life begins at fertilization.

No No, don't deflect. I asked you if you believe, or understand, same difference, that life begins at fertilization.

Your answer states YES.

So what gives you that 'understanding' or that idea?

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75
I'm starting this thread to prove a point, and if I'm successful, this should be a very short topic.

Now if you disagree with me, I'd like to hear you argue against my position without the use of pointless religious attacks, and I'm asking those who do agree with me to refrain from doing so as well.

Ill start by saying, I respect your right to have an opinion. It is completely within your right to think it is murder, or evil, or anything.

What is unfortunate is that you, and those who agree with you, do not respect the right of others to an opinion. You would make abortion illegal, thus telling anyone who doesnt agree with you that they have no right to an opinion, and telling them that, unequivocally, they are wrong.

See how that works?

No one is trying to FORCE anyone to have an abortion, yet those that would make it illegal are trying to FORCE people to bring a pregnancy to term.

In the end, its about freedom. And I believe in everyones freedom to do as they wish with their bodies. Just as I respect your freedom to NOT have an abortion, I respect others' freedom TO have an abortion.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

My position is that abortion and contraceptives that harm fertilized eggs should be illegal.

Then don't use contraceptives or have an abortion. And don't legislate YOUR morality. Problem solved!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Abortion is a debate that is dredged in religious and moral background,

when does a fetus have the mindset to make it's own decisions? or to decide if it wants to live or die? would the parent be responsible for it? if so the parent would have the right to decide and not anyone else

if a fetus is living inside someone, connected to that person would you consider it 'part' of them, and thus they would have the right to do what they felt in their bet interest?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This thread's OP just proves my point, that there's a loud and forceful movement, and They're Coming For Your Birth Control

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Bone75

No No, don't deflect. I asked you if you believe, or understand, same difference, that life begins at fertilization.

Your answer states YES.

So what gives you that 'understanding' or that idea?

~Tenth

I'm not deflecting, I'm squashing your argument before it gets started. You asked a trick question that makes misleading use of the blanket term "life". You are using "life" in a general and plural sense, and I am using it in a specific singular sense.

If you are asking me if A life begins at fertilization, then the answer is yes. But that's not what you're asking me, is it?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This debate is like beating a dead horse. There will never come a time when the decision, no matter what it is, will be accepted by all sides. I think the only way this will come to a closure is if science finds a way to bring a fetus to term from fertilization and beyond in an artificial chamber. That way the woman still has a choice and the fetus is not killed. Maybe the activists of both sides could come together and push for a type of compromise such as this, but I truly doubt it.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

People Claim to Believe in Freedom, But Most Don't

The only way to solve this issue is to leave other people alone to make the choice about their bodies.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

So let me get this right. . .. ..

A mentally retarded girl is viciously raped. She is impregnated. There is a 99% chance the baby will also be mentally retarded or maybe a vegetable. If the child is born it will have to be taken care of by the state because the mother is mentally incapable of doing so.

Based on your opinion we should require that girl to bear the child?

I really don't agree with your opinion for Obvious reasons.

edit on 4-7-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

How can one argue against a rock being a rock. Your position as you state it is nothing more than a position. You offer no reasons for your position , no reflection on the nature of life and death or anything along those lines. You use the term murder, yet the definition of murder rests upon a large context of morals and ethics. You offer no grounds upon which to argue against other than saying here is what I believe.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Bone75

My position is that abortion and contraceptives that harm fertilized eggs should be illegal.

Then don't use contraceptives or have an abortion. And don't legislate YOUR morality. Problem solved!

That's the same as telling me to look the other way when your husband kills you, is it not?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

If you are asking me if A life begins at fertilization, then the answer is yes. But that's not what you're asking me, is it?

No that's what I was asking, I'm simply requesting you tell me WHY you believe it does.

It's not a trick question. You want to debate, I'm asking you to flesh out your argument.

If it's easier let me quote you and then ask another question.

What led you to take this position?

~Tenth
edit on 7/4/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Although I do whole heatedly believe that personal choice of ones body trumps, there are those that will always see it a murder, period, even if forced to mind their own business. This is not solving the issue , but simply sweeping it under the rug and forming "below the surface" hatred and judgment. However, if said incubation chamber is created. The choice would still remain legally and the underlining belief of murder is removed. Of course the issue will then become "its not the same as the womb of a mother" but at least it can no longer be considered murder.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Bone75

No that's what I was asking, I'm simply requesting you tell me WHY you believe it does.

It's not a trick question. You want to debate, I'm asking you to flesh out your argument.

If it's easier let me quote you and then ask another question.

What led you to take this position?

~Tenth

Fine I'll bite. I've taken this position because upon the moment of fertilization, the male and female chromosomes fuse into a new human. extra DIV

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Fine I'll bite. I've taken this position because upon the moment of fertilization, the male and female chromosomes fuse into a new human.

Ok, fine.

Is that personal belief or one backed up by science? You're using the term 'Human' pretty loosely.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join