It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The REAL Names of the Bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Dear Minus,

Thats true, and make sense - the message is simple, and some translations become natural. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but there are also taken certain liberties in a number of translations which could easily have remained effectively the same, but had a more convincing effect to the majority of the people.

Nobody understands God perfectly and that is not the purpose of the bible. We are not all knowing. It is a question of priorities. The most basic aspect is loving one another. After that the rest is easy. If someone misses that aspect, the rest is meaningless. It is said that if we got every rule right; but, do not have love, we fail. I never worry about which version of the bible I use, it just doesn't matter because the truth is the essence found in any translation. It is fundamental, it is love. If you worry about translations, you miss the point. Heck, language changes over time. The English of today is not the same as 200 years ago. The message of the bible has not changed. Love God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. I tell people to focus on being faithful and loving, what does it matter if they call someone a name in their own language?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
If you worry about translations, you miss the point.

I can and will not argue with the concept of god - why its should be good or bad, and i will not engage in a such debate, it will only lead to someone hurting other peoples feelings, i think you know what i mean.

I try to focus on the obstacles christianity had to go through, to come out so succesfull over time. To figure out if the changes that mas made from the beginning to now, was it natural or on purpose, or a mix of both

edit on 6-7-2013 by Minus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Minus
Hello members

I have for a long time wondered about the names in the bible, and how the church have decieved the population in the respective countries by changing bible names into something more suitable.

For eksample John the Baptist - wonderd if any people in the middle east ever was named john?
In france his name is Jean
In spain his name is Juan
In denmark his name is Johannes
In Italy his name is Giovanni

Anybody know what his REAL name actually was?

And this disinformation goes for many many names in the bible just so people better can relate to them or is there a better explanation to this?
Would it have changed anything for the succes of christianity if they kept the original names?

The purpose of this is not dumb trash on religious people - but out of curiousity
I hope there is some good suggestions out there

edit on 4-7-2013 by Minus because: corrected spelling

I skimmed this thread because I just found it so I apologize if what I say has already been said.

Names are Very important.They aren't just a word to call someone for dinner.There is a reason that the NAME of God was venerated and then of course perverted by that same worship.

A name is the nature of the thing named.It is in a sense a proclamation stating what Is.That is what is meant that Gods name [nature] is above all (and no it has nothing to do with the nonsense of as above so below).
The translation of the name he told Moses is

אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה

Ehyeh asher ehyeh

"I will be what I will be"..not I Am or the tetragrammton(4 letter name) that turned into YHWH then YaHweH then Jehovah then Lord then God.The point is the correct pronunciation is not the issue.It is "knowing the nature" of the thing or person named.My neighbors name is Jose just because he lives in the USA I don't call him Joe.That is disrespectful and highly assumptive and a clear sign I do not know nor respect him.If I was asking you to please pour some water on me and you believed the word water meant hydrochloric acid that would be a huge problem.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy in changing the name of God as much as it is a sign of complete ignorance and not knowing the person or thing named.This is all very easily discovered information.There is barely a person who has heard the name Jesus that doesn't know he was a Jew(technically from the Tribe of Judah).His name translated to modern English is Yahoshua not Jesus.Jesus is the Latinized transliteration (when they make words sound similar) to the Greek Iesous which the new testament was written in.For those who believe the King James is the only authenticated translation the 1st edition 1611 KJ has Iesous not Jesus.

The point is Yahoshua's name [nature] is what is to be known.Yahoshua means Yahweh is salvation.....the deliverer.The fact is the majority of Christians do not believe in his name at all by their own admition ..not mine.They believe Jesus is going to sentence billions to the eternal punishment of hell because he can't save them.They have not said a prayer or "believed" in his name.I hope you can see the insane irony in that.

The bottom line is....names are extremely important.They are how we perceive things.if our perception is wrong(as in the hydrochloric acid) it can prove disastrous.The name of God is not an incantation to be invoked like a magic spell.Nor does knowing the correct pronunciation mean the sayer knows it.The knowing of a name is perception itself...understanding ...knowing..not just believing.

edit on 6-7-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Dear Minus,

I do not feel nor believe you are being disrespectful to others beliefs and hope I have not accused you of such a thing. I have no issue with your questions, I merely answer them from my perspective.

I try to focus on the obstacles christianity had to go through, to come out so succesfull over time. To figure out if the changes that mas made from the beginning to now, was it natural or on purpose, or a mix of both

"Obstacles" there were no obstacles. God doesn't believe in those. Christianity is the most widely known belief in history, it has spread throughout the world, to all languages. Before there was the printing press, Christians knew that it would be spread to places they didn't even know existed. God said so.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

"Obstacles" there were no obstacles. God doesn't believe in those. Christianity is the most widely known belief in history, it has spread throughout the world, to all languages. Before there was the printing press, Christians knew that it would be spread to places they didn't even know existed. God said so.

This is where i begin to disagree, is i think christianity went throgh a myriad of obstacles to become this great religion it is. Its highly adaptable and if its wasnt, it would have been long gone.
Tha fact that the bible is very flexible is one of its strengths

I guess you have to look at things from an outside perspective to see it, and your answers come from the inside - i guess it just comes naturally to you as you preach the word God as a believer. I guess its equally hard for us both to reverse our views

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Dear Minus,

This is where i begin to disagree, is i think christianity went throgh a myriad of obstacles to become this great religion it is. Its highly adaptable and if its wasnt, it would have been long gone. Tha fact that the bible is very flexible is one of its strengths

2,000 years ago a bunch of laborers followed a carpenter who went around saying to love one another. They said that his word would spoken in every language and that if it was spread throughout the world, people would leave the faith. Show me any religion that said the same and got it right. There are no obsitcles to God reaching people and the essence of the bible is not flexible, it is just that people interpret it to meet their goals and others accept such nonsense.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

2,000 years ago a bunch of laborers followed a carpenter who went around saying to love one another. They said that his word would spoken in every language and that if it was spread throughout the world, people would leave the faith. Show me any religion that said the same and got it right.

And where exactly are you goin with this statement?
I have no doubt that you believe in what you say, and you put meaning behind your words, but this is not a competition between you and me, nor between your religion and others no matter if they are ongoing or they have failed. Im not here to test your faith and i dont need salvation.
If you want to educate me without preaching, im open to that, but you need to start a little later than "2,000 years ago a bunch of laborers followed a carpenter"
We could start with difference in how gods word was preached 500 years ago and compare it to how is preahced today?

I have the pleasure to view this spectacular scenario with religions from the sideline and im interested in how they rised up and their down falls and all in between, Im not interested in being converted, i still spread as much love and joy to my family, friends and people in need of it as much as any christian - without having the faith.
I hope you can accept that

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Minus

Dear Minus,

I responded to what you said. I am not an evangelical and don't believe I am capable of saving anyone. Have a nice weekend. LOL

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Yes your right, you answered my OP with how Jesus was pronnounced in spanish, im sorry if i lurked you into a discussion you have no intend to be a part of

You go have a nice weekend too

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Then why does religion use the word of god to support its doctrine?

Satan has been using the Word of God to support his doctrine since the beginning of time...

Matthew 4 and Genesis 3 clearly illustrate this.

Just because someone quotes scripture doesn't mean they're imparting truth correctly.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Just because someone quotes scripture doesn't mean they're imparting truth correctly.

For once we agree!

But your god and religion d have things in common. The examples I gave are just a few.
edit on 6-7-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Minus

You do know that an English bible has the most English form of all the names right ?

Here look at this
Google Tranlated

All Forms Of John
Note the Hebrew version begins with "Y" = Yôḥānān

That's why those who debate how to say God's name in English are wasting time, because you can pronounce his name many different ways according to the language you speak, just like any other name, and John is a good example because of the "J" verses "Y" variable.

edit on 7-7-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It should be noted that I have known these words in Greek, Hebrew and Latin for about 30 years. As such, I have never said that these words are the same - that is a complete and utter fabrication, displaying the ridiculously poor quality of the criticisms of my work. One should be suspect of any other argument following such an absurd straw man, as it is likely to be of the same poor quality. Individuals and websites using this strawman son-sun criticism should be dismissed out of hand as inaccurate and irrelevant.

Darryl Forests
Scholarly

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
This should give you an insight into their real names..

That is.. if you can watch the entire thing.. (which I've done several times) .. only because I'm crazy like that..
I find this type of information very interesting and unique.

If you've never watched this video before, I highly recommend it... food for thought.
I love history and following up with the "facts" in this video has lead me on an interesting trail...

and it definitely gives you the REAL NAMES of those important figures in the Bible.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuRe EnErGy
This should give you an insight into their real names..

That is.. if you can watch the entire thing.. (which I've done several times) .. only because I'm crazy like that..
I find this type of information very interesting and unique.

If you've never watched this video before, I highly recommend it... food for thought.
I love history and following up with the "facts" in this video has lead me on an interesting trail...

and it definitely gives you the REAL NAMES of those important figures in the Bible.

That was truly a loooooong and boring, poorly made fantasy.No offense meant however....Sol -Amun........please...
edit on 7-7-2013 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Sol -Amun........please...

amun
omon
amen

egyptian hieratic was like hebrew -- mostly consonants. vowels interchanged depending on the area, language and timeframe.

i kinda like it.

it makes sense.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by Minus
I respect your opinion - i just wondered bout the names and why they changed them

I understand...

Too many have been deceived into believing that the Bible is a "Bunch of made up bs".

They need to hear the TRUTH...

*Enter science, stage left*

Science: HI EVERYBODY!

edit on 7-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HairlessApe

hi hairless ape. which part are you
taking scientific offense at?

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

The guy I was responding to said we needed to know the TRUTH.
Therefore science.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe
reply to post by undo

The guy I was responding to said we needed to know the TRUTH.
Therefore science.

ahhh.

so do you have anything scientific to add to the study of etymology?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join