It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland Congress puts forward bill to grant Snowden citizenship

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It looks like Iceland might make our buddy Snowden a Citizen.

Their Parliament has a new bill to do just that, and it is supported by more than one political party there.

If this happens, Snowden could get a valid passport and get out of Russia !!

One day before members of the Icelandic Parliament are due to break for summer vacation, leaders of three political parties have submitted a special piece of legislation which would make NSA whistleblower and fugitive, Edward Snowden, a citizen of Iceland.

The issue was raised this morning by MP Ögmundur Jónasson, which could be decided before the weekend.

Some are worried that this bill could be delayed by a piece of fisheries legislation which is also up for vote this Friday.

Iceland Congress puts forward bill to grant Snowden citizenship

The story links to a report from Iceland, but it is in their language.
here is a google translation to English;

MPs Piran, Ögmundur Jónasson, MP VG, Hjörvar, Alliance and Paul standings Bjornsson, MP brighter future, have proposed a bill to grant citizenship as proposed Edward Snowden receive Icelandic citizenship.

Ögmundur raised the issue in the case Edwards Snowden at the start of a session in the morning. He directed his words to Konráðsdóttur Proc Brar, Chairman of the committee, and suggested that Snowden would be offered residence in Iceland. "Parliament of Iceland and Icelanders have initialised it to offer these individuals the entire world indebted to residence," said Ögmundur in parliament this morning.

UNN Drew informed that an application for citizenship does not come from Snowden and according to the rules of the applicant must be present in the country.

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thank you for posting the article.

Unsure of your position on this, but I for one will be glad that someone is trying to offer Snowden a chance at a new life.

I am sure this issue is far from over, but it certainly offers hope to someone who has sacrificed so much.

+14 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
BIG YAY to Iceland!

Their balls must be made of DIAMONDS….It is second time their show fingers to global bullies!

Way to go Iceland and God bless!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Thank you for posting the article.

Unsure of your position on this, but I for one will be glad that someone is trying to offer Snowden a chance at a new life.

I am sure this issue is far from over, but it certainly offers hope to someone who has sacrificed so much.

I'm all for any help that Snowden can get.

Criminal or not, He has opened up Pandora's Box and the hinges have blown off the lid.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
reply to post by Logarock

Iceland is part of the NSA spying.

www.datacenterknowledge.com...

new data center in a former NATO Command Centre in Keflavik, Iceland.

Being a NATO Command Center it has all of the cables ran for Top Secret communications. They don't let just anybody build on top of them.

I made this post yesterday. And now I have Martin Hannigan running around my computer. Do you think it is just a coincidence?

ip.robtex.com...

twitter.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I would like to be the first here to say thank you Iceland. What a great Congress.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Criminal or not, He has opened up Pandora's Box and the hinges have blown off the lid.

He certainly has, I just finished reading an article about German prosecutors investigating the possibility of laying charges against the NSA for spying on German citizens.

Link HERE

Germany's Federal Prosecutors' Office confirmed to SPIEGEL on Sunday that it is looking into whether systematic data spying against the country conducted by America's National Security Agency violated laws aimed at protecting German citizens.

I think we will be seeing fall out from this for a long time and its good to know that Snowden may not have to spend the rest of life stuck in limbo at a Russian airport...

edit on 4-7-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Go Iceland! And go Snowden!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Germany is also part of this spying. They are just putting out stories to save face. NATO is tied into all this as you seen when the Bolivian President had his plane forced to land. And I don't think Snowden is really stuck in a terminal like Forest Gump in the movie terminal. Snowden made mistakes in his escape plan not thinking about how NATO will react. And remember the last frontier for Prism to be truly global? Africa and NATO is wrecking havoc down there through France who now runs NATO. And Iceland building data centers on top of a NATO base where the top secret data lines and cables are?

edit on 4-7-2013 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

BREAKING NEWS: Le Monde is reporting that France too is spying on its citizens... Storing facebook and twitter communication.

Puts a new outlook on the restriction of airspace by France... As the poster above said, it's all interconnected.

edit on 4-7-2013 by soulwaxer because: ETA

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
If Iceland pulls this off I wouldn't mind trying to move there myself. GO ICELAND!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Germany is also part of this spying. They are just putting out stories to save face.

That is really not the point i was trying to make, but i am sure most nations on this planet have some form of foreign intelligence, including Germany. I brought that article up to reference to who a door has been swung open and the topic of intelligence gathering on not only enemies, but friends alike is now on the public stage.

nd I don't think Snowden is really stuck in a terminal like Forest Gump in the movie terminal. Snowden made mistakes in his escape plan not thinking about how NATO will react.

Agreed. I do not believe he is sleeping under stairwells and buying updated cloths from the gift shops. From everything I have read, it appears he is holed up in a Hotel attached to the transit area and I am sure he is somewhat comfortable. but the prospect of spending to much time there does not sound appealing.

Yes, Snowden does seem to have underestimated who quickly NATO nations and opposing nations would fall in line with US demands.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by soulwaxer
reply to post by JBA2848

BREAKING NEWS: Le Monde is reporting that France too is spying on its citizens... Storing facebook and twitter communication.

Puts a new outlook on the restriction of airspace by France... As the poster above said, it's all interconnected.

Chain reaction has been started then, that’s why I said in other post that something else is behind all this.Suspecting that this will end the NATO, but then again I wonder that it might bring a bigger evil on this planet with more power.
edit on 4-7-2013 by amkia because: quote things didn't work...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs

it appears he is holed up in a Hotel attached to the transit area and I am sure he is somewhat comfortable. but the prospect of spending to much time there does not sound appealing.

This is my impression too. But surely the hotel would be aware of it's 'special guest' and if so how would this not be leaked to the media? Maybe he is not in the airport at all.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

This is Russia after all. In Russia Rooms rent you
:p

I am sure the Wikileaks people are helping him keep his cover. I believe he is also attended by a wikileaks representative who will also presumably assist in his citizenship for Iceland.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by Logarock

Iceland is part of the NSA spying.

www.datacenterknowledge.com...

new data center in a former NATO Command Centre in Keflavik, Iceland.

Being a NATO Command Center it has all of the cables ran for Top Secret communications. They don't let just anybody build on top of them.

I made this post yesterday. And now I have Martin Hannigan running around my computer. Do you think it is just a coincidence?

ip.robtex.com...

twitter.com...

Akamai is a technology used by Google among others. That is most likely a Google Bot

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Jeez, when should I move there. They've been rockin' it the last few years
Keep it up.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This almost brings tears of joy to my eyes. I was very worried about Snowden, and I pray that he gets accepted and travels there safely.

Please keep us updated

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

reply to post by JBA2848

How is storing items that people willing put on social media "spying on their citizens"?

If I were to go back through my friends' timelines (or anyone who doesn't have a private profile), I can see everything they've posted for years. Doesn't mean I'm spying on them.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

reply to post by JBA2848

How is storing items that people willing put on social media "spying on their citizens"?

If I were to go back through my friends' timelines (or anyone who doesn't have a private profile), I can see everything they've posted for years. Doesn't mean I'm spying on them.

Some people adjust their privacy settings so you cannot see their profile unless you are friends with them.

Some people even go as far as setting it so only certain people can see certain posts. Believe it or not you can actually do that.

Until the FBI, NSA, CIA, The White House, or Obama are friends with me on Facebook, I'd prefer if they stayed off my page.
edit on 4-7-2013 by introV because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join