It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Circumventing the Censors.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
If people wanna see the bad words, they can sign up and turn the censors off. Iv noticed that moderately used swearing is okay, since I dont see people getting warned for it and such.

BTW...Intrepid...your avatar still violates the Avatar Guidelines...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia

DOH. How DLM?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Yours is nearly 90KB...while the limit is 75KB.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Common sense?

HA, HA, HA, if sense were common we'd all have it, this is a Conspiracy site, for Petes sake, our stock in trade is the opposite of what the majority would consider common sense.

Look it's your site, you are the Republicans here, you get to make the rules ... it's tough dirty work but someones got to do it.

fair enough... I respect that I really do... I like it here...you guys do a good job...

But understand that censorship is clearly and obviously a restriction of freedom of speech and no amount of hyperbole will change that...

If I were you, I would use my godlike powers to kill this thread before it gets out of hand...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Yours is nearly 90KB...while the limit is 75KB.

I'll have that taken care of. Thanks DLM.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

DOH. How DLM?

And here in threads we get mods that will give us a penalty for overquoting and one line responses yet the mods do it all the time.

Then I can go look at back post where some Mods will work around the censors as well.
OK for you guys but not for us.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Obscienity is the crutch of the inarticulate mother -fill in the blank

It should not be neccessary to use obscienities to prove one's point. I can see cases where it can be used, particularly in the fiction section, because it is representative of everyday language.

Believe me, I am not opposed to colorful language. I am know to use it quite regularly in my everyday life. In a platoon of about 120 soldiers, I had a reputation for the filthiest mouth.

But this isn't the real world now is it? Your existence here is only guaranteed as long as you obey the rules of the owner/operator of this site. Knowing what I have just told you about myself, I will bet you that you would have a hard time finding a post from me where I have actually used one of the seven dirty words.
It's probably not impossible, but damn difficult!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Do you see the absence of my avatar? I removed it when I found out it broke the rules. I had this avatar before I became a mod. Your noise is just that. Wah!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Uhm, the point has been made that search engines rank Forums by their use of language.

Let me give an example. For several years I have been an avid attendee at Godlike Productions' GLP Forum because it always had the "juiciest" new stuff. I didn't mind or care about the profanity; I just stepped OVER it and went on.

But then my computer went down and I had to go use the Library's computer. The Library CENSORS OUT GLP totally. They won't permit anyone to go there from their machines, due to the very very raw language.

If we don't want ATS to be censored out of libraries, schools, hospitals, universities etc., it would be very discreet to keep our language civil, appropriate and clean.

And that's how it is.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Thank you EC, that's exactly the point. ATS for everyone.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
A bad word has more than one meaning, like the one in my avatar? In Britain, we used it as an idiom, with its definition being as to tease or mock. It is listed as such on Dictionary.com, and is also in the American Heritage Dictionary as "to make or become angry."

Moderators?

Dot.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
A bad word has more than one meaning, like the one in my avatar? In Britain, we used it as an idiom, with its definition being as to tease or mock. It is listed as such on Dictionary.com, and is also in the American Heritage Dictionary as "to make or become angry."

Moderators?

Dot.

I actually had a conversation with someone in Australia about this word. I have NO problem with it, neither did he but someone might. Think about the site and let your fingers be your guide.

I think I've posted at least 10 times in this thread without swearing. I can't do that in real life for 2 minutes.

IT CAN BE DONE.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
"Ignorance is #iss" is changed to a Dr. Seuss quote. I rarely curse irl, and when I accidentally do so, it's always followed by "forgive me, Jesus." I also do not allow the guys to swear around me. It's difficult for them, working a man's job, but I do not allow violence, profanity, or Ikea furniture in my house.

However, ignorance really is #iss.

Dot.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Do you see the absence of my avatar? I removed it when I found out it broke the rules. I had this avatar before I became a mod. Your noise is just that. Wah!

Actually it was different before, i was less graphically....pleasing before KL "fixed it up"

Dont ask me how I remember those little details...just do.

[Edited on 8-11-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
I do not allow Ikea furniture in my house.

AAAAAAAHHGGH!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ummmm, yeah...I'm gonna need you to go ahead and not swear.
Mmmmkay?

[edit on 8-11-2004 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

So is obscenity

To be more clearly understood. (forgive me phreak)

Grammar Monkeys, not just for split infinitives anymore

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I could consider that it isnt necessarily the words that are so bad, but moreso how these words get used that make the objectionable content in need of censoring.

To circumvent is to demonstrate that point, and validate the need of censoring in the first place.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
What's the big deal about curse words??? They are not necessary.
I've seen them on other forums and I'm not impressed.

I think not using them forces people to express themselves better. Not cursing also keeps hormone levels from rising to extremely high levels.
IMHO, of course

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

So is obscenity

To be more clearly understood. (forgive me phreak)

Grammar Monkeys, not just for split infinitives anymore

And a spell checker is the crutch of an illiterate ...

F7 is my friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join