It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-2B Bomber tests the Advanced Extremely High Frequency SATCOM system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
B2 test

A successful demonstration with a prototype antenna proved that communication between the B-2 stealth bomber and a high-frequency satellite system could significantly accelerate reception/transmission of battlefield information.

This looks to be a nice little system for an optionally manned long range strike system or loitering VLO platform in heavily denied airspace that is being developed as we speak in the black. Im a betting man, and im betting this system matures just in time to be available (and already tested to the Nth on a VLO penetrator platform aka B-2B)

An interesting project to keep an eye out on.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
We used to have two C-135s for VIP transport. They had wire antennas coming off the tail to the forward fuselage, for HF use. My father had been pushing them to get wingtip HF antennas instead, because of interference issues with the wire antennas, but no one wanted to. On flight, carrying COMPACFLT and COMPACAF to a conference, one was on the SATCOM, one was on HF, and about halfway through the conversation they realized they were talking to each other. They got wingtip antennas not long after.

There was another SATCOM antenna tested on 12669, the AF Chief of Staff aircraft that was really nice. Not sure how much is out there, as it was years ago, so I won't say a lot about it. It would have made interference almost impossible though. This system probably does something similar.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
We used to have two C-135s for VIP transport. They had wire antennas coming off the tail to the forward fuselage, for HF use. My father had been pushing them to get wingtip HF antennas instead, because of interference issues with the wire antennas, but no one wanted to. On flight, carrying COMPACFLT and COMPACAF to a conference, one was on the SATCOM, one was on HF, and about halfway through the conversation they realized they were talking to each other. They got wingtip antennas not long after.

There was another SATCOM antenna tested on 12669, the AF Chief of Staff aircraft that was really nice. Not sure how much is out there, as it was years ago, so I won't say a lot about it. It would have made interference almost impossible though. This system probably does something similar.

God that was my biggest concern when flying with those antennas on the top. They were torqued into the body and tail but can you imagine a wire that long coming loose in flight and tearing up?

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

We had a WC-130 come back from Hurricane Iniki with #3 shut down because one of the wire antennas had snapped and wrapped around the prop shaft. With the amount of damage I saw rain and small pieces of hail do, I can't imagine what one of those antennas would have done if it had slammed into the airframe repeatedly.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
But back to the op's point, they've been developing this for years to help the b2 receive it's launch orders for nukes as well. One of the classified portions of the b2 is an antennae that pops up in the back with the direct line to the joint chiefs. The fact that the antenna exists isn't classified, but the size and shape is.
edit on 6-7-2013 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

That was the same with the antenna on 669. Obviously you could see it, they just didn't wasn't you to know what it did. It was a pretty nice little SATCOM system though.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
We used to use the SATCOM on the KC-135 to call Duke's in Waikiki when we were three hours out to make reservations for 15 people! Damn I miss SATCOM sometimes.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Ah....Dukes. I miss that place. I remember a few times my father called us from the plane (usually on HF though). It was fun to talk to him on the plane, but annoying as hell to say "Over" every time you stopped talking.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I thought I would never say 'over' again when I got out, but here I am 30 years later still saying over every blessed day! I catch myself saying when I am talking on the telephone now. I get some of the strangest looks!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Ah....Dukes. I miss that place. I remember a few times my father called us from the plane (usually on HF though). It was fun to talk to him on the plane, but annoying as hell to say "Over" every time you stopped talking.

Yeah HF sucks. lol SATCOM was one of the greatest inventions for the military. lol

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
This technology has been around for a while, but it's nice to see they scaled an EHF antenna to fit on a "smaller" plane. Unfortunately EHF SATCOM will not be fully ready for a while.
edit on 7-7-2013 by gunblaza because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gunblaza

Check out this acquisition report from DOD on the b-2 UHF Satcom

DOD SAR B2 UHF SATCOM

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Great for the B-2. Now it's time to test some things on the B-2 for now.

new topics

top topics

join