It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Some of you Americans Out There, A New Sarcasm Software Has Been Developed....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Having travelled a great deal over the years and had many laughs with people from all over the world, here is a new piece of software that may interest some of my American friends....

A great deal of Americans I have met do not get sarcasm, in fact whenever I have said something sarcastic they really believe that what I am saying to be what I really mean and truthful, rather than the meaning of what I am saying being totally the opposite. Even when I try to explain it to them they still don't get it, but everybody else around the table is laughing their socks off...

So when I saw this news item for sarcasm software, I straight away thought of some of my American friends and would they be able to benefit from such a breakthrough in technology, or would it go completely over their heads....hahaha

French company Spotter, has developed an analytics tool that claims to have up to 80% accuracy in identifying sarcastic comments posted online....

Algorithms had been developed to reflect various tones in 29 different languages including Chinese, Russian and Arabic...

The algorithm based analytics software generates reputation reports based on social and traditional media material...

However some experts say such tools are often inadequate because of the nuance of language...

So what do you think? A good or a bad thing?

Do you think it would help any of you guys out there?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

So what do you think? A good or a bad thing? Do you think it would help any of you guys out there?

yeeeeeaaaah (voice of the boss from office space).... i think it's a "great" idea.....

Seriously though, I have a similar issue with friends and family, I'm a sarcastic jerk and people tend to have a hard time catching when I'm being sarcastic, but I also tend to dead pan a lot just to confuse them.

the use of air quotes might help in person.

edit on 4-7-2013 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

A great deal of Americans I have met do not get sarcasm

I think those from the UK and Americans have different ways of presenting their sarcasm and that may lead to confusion.

Americans aren't so dry about it...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Between my dry and sarcastic sense of humor I have found it easier to stay the frak away from most people, especially Americans. Gullible and often indignant bunch of fools we are............ Although I admit that it is often fun to tell other peoples children that mommy said they can buy as much candy as they want. This goes over best in line at the Grocery store.......

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
American sarcasm is a "not" joke.
I love you, NOT.

That's it.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Or maybe, we can just not use sarcasm and actually say the words that we mean so that we can all understand each other.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chukkles
American sarcasm is a "not" joke.
I love you, NOT.

That's it.

Is your post sarcasm?

Yes, I see the irony of my having to ask.

top topics

join