It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exposing Facebook

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I'm sure most of you have seen the recent thread titled teen in jail for months over 'sarcastic' Facebook threat. I really cannot tell you how many times I've heard of stories like that. I thought what I would do is try and find some of those stories and lump them together in this thread to really expose just how much Facebook is used by police to gather information and arrest people for stupid reasons. A piece of advice: never plan a party on Facebook unless you want it crashed by the police.

Former Marine Brandon Raub Just been "Taken" by Feds for Facebook Posts

UK police arrest man for promoting a water gun fight through Facebook

Atheist faces jail after Facebook remark

Secret court jails father for sending son 21st birthday greeting on Facebook

British Teen Arrested for Anti-War Comments on Facebook

Teen Arrested for Home-Made "Hot or Not" List on Facebook

Facebook 'troll' Sean Duffy gets community service for offensive Sophie Taylor image

I've probably missed some good ones so feel free to add your own to the list.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I'm suprised me and many other activists have not yet been arrested for our use of Fookbook - time will tell aye.

Take me to court, and I'll drag em all down with me!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
I'm suprised me and many other activists have not yet been arrested for our use of Fookbook - time will tell aye.

Yes time will tell... but it seems like they don't really target conspiracy theorists or activists. They just seem to target normal every day people who just happen to say one wrong thing one day. I guess when you have activists saying those sorts of things all day every day, no one pays attention or cares what they say. Quite ironic really... well maybe not ironic, I don't know what the right word would be.
edit on 4/7/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by ObservingYou

Yes time will tell... but it seems like they don't really target conspiracy theorists or activists. They just seem to target normal every day people who just happen to say one wrong thing one day. I guess when you have activists saying those sorts of things all day every day, no one pays attention or cares what they say. Quite ironic really... well maybe not ironic, I don't know what the right word would be.

Agreed. I do post political news/lulz/crap all day everyday aha - and I use Facebook to network with like minded people - it does appear that they are currently ignoring us at the moment...Maybe because if they were to arrest one of us, the news would soon spread within our ranks and they would have 20,000 angry facebook activists to deal with lol.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I stay far away from Facebook. It's getting harder and harder as some sites now require you to log into their site via Facebook. Facebook is slowly taking over the net, it wouldn't fully surprise me if one day ATS too needed you to sign in via Facebook. (That's not against ATS, but rather against the trend that's happening.)

I never understood the draw of Facebook. Maybe in the beginning, people could have used it to track up long lost friends. But now? It's become an "ALL ABOUT **MEEEEE!**" website where people post idiotic Facebook updates, uploads pictures of themselves and generally, talking about themselves. But that's the social annoyance I have for Facebook.

The other is privacy. You have none. Even when you aren't logged into Facebook, they could track which websites you visited just by the cookie Facebook used. They said they would get rid of it, but I still don't trust Facebook.

I'm hoping it'll eventually go the way of MySpace, a failed social networking site striving to keep itself up by reinventing themselves and failing miserably.

More about Facebook tracking: www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Maybe because if they were to arrest one of us, the news would soon spread within our ranks and they would have 20,000 angry facebook activists to deal with lol.

I think you're onto something with that theory... it makes sense of this weird situation.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm one of those wackos that never had a Facebook account and never will. I could smell what they were cookin' right from the start.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Even when you aren't logged into Facebook, they could track which websites you visited just by the cookie Facebook used. They said they would get rid of it, but I still don't trust Facebook.

They don't even need cookies... the little "like" gadgets and other gadgets that Facebook has are usually served to the browser by a connection to Facebook. Meaning they can track your IP address on any page you visit which has their gadgets, you don't even need to interact with the gadgets. And there is no way to prove it either.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by tjack
I'm one of those wackos that never had a Facebook account and never will. I could smell what they were cookin' right from the start.

Same... although in the beginning I didn't join just because I hate getting sucked into "trends" and "fads" just because everyone else is doing it... it makes me feel like a sheep following the herd when I do that. But before long I realized how corrupt the whole scheme was and finalized my decision to never join, no matter how much other people bugged me to join.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
There's nothing to expose. People willingly sign up and post these things.

Most of these take place in countries where you can get in trouble for calling someone a name so.......

edit on 4-7-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Whether it is on Facebook or in any other public place, people are being harrassed, arrested and accused for ridiculous reasons! There are thousands of them every day!

Look at the couple who were accused of being terrorists, because they breast fed in a county club!
Little 6 year old boys thrown out of school for sexual harrassment when they tried to kiss their classmate.

I have cousin who was thrown in Rikers, because when he was told at the airport that he and his wife would not be let on a plane with their dog, they asked if they could at least have their luggage back...he was told, no. Your luggage will leave in an hour for the other side of the country while you stay here.

He answered, How can that be? Don't you have some sort of security measures which prohibit that? Like what about the concerns of terrorism? Don't people have to be on a plane with their luggage or something?"

The woman grabbed her mike and made a terrorist alarm warning, and the cops arrived quickly to throw him to thr ground at gun point. He spend three nights in prison.

I guess the woman was just irritated that day.. maybe she had PMS, I don't know. But the hyper-reactivity and fear of our people is causing really huge problems.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Facebook its a trick.

I hate how its ruining the web. People are disappearing from forums. I had a forum that was doing great until that come along. Now its died.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

There's nothing to expose. People willingly sign up and post these things.

What relevance does that have? Just because people willingly sign up doesn't make it ok to monitor everything they say and arrest them for stupid reasons. Of course we can expose that...

Most of these take place in countries where you can get in trouble for calling someone a name so.......

Actually the majority of the links in my opening post are stories from the UK or US.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Wow poor guy, hadn't heard that story before. Three days in prison for what? What law did they claim he had broken? Or did they just hold him until they realized they had nothing on him?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Proud to say NO FACEBOOK HERE!!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I tried the FB but it's no Mining Co. like they used to make. It's like public school, where everybody is there and it's practically mandatory to be there to be considered normal. Yuck. The Facebook Number, how many degrees is a website separated from Facebook? It's the WalMart of the Internet. They even share the same company colors. If Snowden could leak the papers there's probably a PRISM sub-project where WalMart turns into the resource base in a national emergency and you can't get rations without a facebook page.

It's a territory like Disneyland. Well of course you don't put on your smile and act pleasant at all times the establishment will be perturbed that you're not having a good time and seek to hide the liability.

You can't say nobody forces anybody when it's on every website page, leading you to believe that there's more at the other website. Even ATS, I'm seeing it and going...should I go there because maybe there are, um, better threads there or something? I don't know it makes me feel insecure.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Bluesma

Wow poor guy, hadn't heard that story before. Three days in prison for what? What law did they claim he had broken? Or did they just hold him until they realized they had nothing on him?

He had said the word "Terrorism" in an airport. The current laws pretty much leave the authorities the right to take whatever precautions they want if they suspect terrorism, for any reason whatsoever.

They had to do a full investigation of his life to make sure he wasn't a terrorist.

This is why I don't see the problem as being one of Facebook- Facebook is just like any public place to me.

The problem, in my mind, is this free rein that is given to the authorities to judge and prosecute at their own will, and the people have handed them this right because of their own fear, that has grown out of proportion (IMO).
It is becoming irrational.
edit on 4-7-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think the only reason i use Facebook IS TO plan party.

But then again, m not stupid enough to make comments and threats that would get me in trouble.

"Yeah so guys bring extra beers, we have some underage kids who can't buy themselves"

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I'm on facebook. I just keep up with old Navy friends and follow a few people that have interesting things going on. I find out what's up with new books coming out and such.. and have met some nice folk's with the same "likes" this person contacted me when I was talking about comic books

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Facebook and ATS should be like oil and water...but they are not

Facebook's motto should be 'Embrace Ignorance'

...and with ATS's little connect via Facebook icon our new motto should be

'Deny Ignorance, but link to it for the extra revenue'

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join