It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are we so stupid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The way I view all of this is... that now (WE HAVE MORE OPTIONS) in life...more choices on how we want to do things...I think various choices in life is a good thing ;and makes life more interesting.

Therefore...I do not think that we are stupid.

edit on 4-7-2013 by caladonea because: edit

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Having choices isn't stupid.

But people make stupid choices.

Take. . . . oh. . . I don't know. . . . me for example!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles
reply to post by jiggerj

@Paragraph 1: Of course I can speak only of my own personal experiences and in my general srrounding area, but as far as being in any sort of public restroom, it is rare to find one nowadays that has a doorknob.

Even if it isn't one that you can just push open, I usually use my elbow. During those seldom occassions when you may come acroos a small town/backwoods gas station restroom that does still have the old fashion style doorknobs, they're usually still so far back in time that they also still use paper towels, which work quite well for the doorknob and for the faucet.

@Paragraph 2: mmmmmmmmmmmbacon

Doorknobs in workplaces, or even at home are just as bad. But I'm not really concerned with the actuality of it as I am with the philosophy of it. It doesn't make sense to me that we all know to wash our hands after using a bathroom, but there's never been a great push to popularize washing doorknobs. Or railings, or buttons on a radio, alarm clock... When's the last time you washed your TV remote or computer mouse?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
When's the last time you washed your TV remote or computer mouse?

My sweat evolved in the past 10 years to automatically clean those two things.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Doorknobs in workplaces, or even at home are just as bad. But I'm not really concerned with the actuality of it as I am with the philosophy of it. It doesn't make sense to me that we all know to wash our hands after using a bathroom, but there's never been a great push to popularize washing doorknobs. Or railings, or buttons on a radio, alarm clock... When's the last time you washed your TV remote or computer mouse?

For most of those, I have no idea, but I actually have some wipes right here beside me that I frequently use on my Keyboard and Mouse. That's not so much about germs though, but moreso because I'm just messy, and always get food on my keyboard and mouse.

I guess it just depends on where you work. The last couple places I've worked had either: no door; swinging two-way doors; or a lever or push type thing that can be easily opened with an elbow. Aside from in homes, I just rarely see the old-fashioned type of doorknobs anymore.

Railings though, yeah that's different. There have been plenty of times when I've caught myself wiping/rubbing all the way down the rail for no reason whatsoever.(just a bad habit, I guess)

I get your point, but I just don't think doorknobs are much of an issue anymore. Nowadays, most places are using the various automated machines. Some places even have it to where you don't actually have to touch anything at all.

Awhile back, the Discovery Channel Show 'Mythbusters' had an episode on this topic. I am actually kinda surprised that doorknobs didn't make their list, but anyways, these↓ were their results. (Just thought you might be interested.)

[color=C2A970]Many objects that people touch every day are dirtier than a toilet seat: [color=82C280]Confirmed

[color=C2A970]Adam and Jamie chose a total of 8 objects to test for cleanliness: toilet seat, money, kitchen sponge, hotel room remote, computer keyboard, light switch, cell phone, and shopping cart. They swabbed each surface for 10 seconds and created Petri dishes from the swabs that incubated overnight. Their first method of measurement was to count the number of microorganism colonies on each dish. They found that the toilet seat sample actually had the fewest colonies, while the kitchen sponge sample had more than they could count:

1. kitchen sponge (most colonies)
2. money
3. light switch
4. computer keyboard
5. hotel remote
6. shopping cart
7. cell phone
8. toilet seat (fewest colonies)

However, they always wanted to account for the “nastiness” or harmfulness of the types of organisms on each Petri dish, so they had a microbiologist re-rank the samples. The list was as follows.

1. kitchen sponge (most nasty)
2. money
3. light switch
4. computer keyboard
5. toilet seat
6. cell phone
7. shopping cart
8. hotel remote (least nasty)

Finally, Adam and Jamie decided they needed a larger sample size to provide better results. They enlisted a group of biology students at UC Berkeley to collect more samples from the top five dirtiest surfaces. After collecting and analyzing these samples, the final list was as follows.

1. kitchen sponge (most dirty)
2. money
3. computer keyboard
4. toilet seat
5. light switch (least dirty)

mythbustersresults.com...

They found some nice things on top of Soda Pop Cans also. Next time you pop open a can, see if you can drink it without thinking about rat poo. lol (That statement is for me also, because I actually had forgotten.)

edit on 7/5/13 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

They found some nice things on top of Soda Pop Cans also. Next time you pop open a can, see if you can drink it without thinking about rat poo. lol (That statement is for me also, because I actually had forgotten.)
reply to post by BrokenCircles

I saw a similar show and the kitchen sponge was the top ick! I could've sworn two other top contenders were Kitchen counters and toothbrushes. Ewwwwwwwwwww!

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by beezzer

The way I view all of this is... that now (WE HAVE MORE OPTIONS) in life...more choices on how we want to do things...I think various choices in life is a good thing ;and makes life more interesting.

Therefore...I do not think that we are stupid.

edit on 4-7-2013 by caladonea because: edit

Don't bet on it. I have access to every possible interesting thing on the internet. Every movie. Every TV show. And, I'm bored out of my mind!

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Don't bet on it. I have access to every possible interesting thing on the internet. Every movie. Every TV show. And, I'm bored out of my mind!

Jiggerj...you crack me up!...sometimes you are just so funny...a dry witty sense of humor...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea

Jiggerj...you crack me up!...sometimes you are just so funny...a dry witty sense of humor...

Thank you so much. A lot of people just don't get me.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Why do we do those things to ourselves?

Cause we can

top topics

<< 1   >>

join