It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America breaking US law funding Egyptian Armies coup?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I was interested to hear last night, that the US is funding the Egyptian Army with up to $2 billion a year and in the case of a coup, under US law all funding must be withdrawn, both military and economic.

Under US law, the government must suspend foreign aid to any nation whose elected leader is ousted in a coup d'etat. The US provides $1.5bn a year to Egypt in military and economic assistance.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I'm not defending Morsi or the Muslim brotherhood, just pointing out that laws are being broken by the US, that have serious consequences for the future of Egypt.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I'm not defending The Muslim Brotherhood, Morsi, the US, the Egyptian Army or whoever but what are the alternatives?
It's a sad reflection on the reality of life but if the US weren't arming the Egyptians someone else would do.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

No they're not. How could they have known that a foreign leader would be ousted by his own people? Had they have known, they'd have needed the time to put an immediate stop on said funding.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I have to edit this post because people have said more than once that this was a US backed coup... and that confused me before I checked again... and I seriously doubt that it is. I'm not saying they wouldn't do that, but to do that in Egypt I think would be extremely odd so I was like "whaaat?... This is stupid even for OUR government".... but it's not US backed. It can't be.

They retracted funding to get people to think twice about doing this but I just remembered that last year Egypt was made offers by "other powers"

I believe this may be a parting gift of the previous Iranian President if my memory serves me correctly.

In other words, Egypt military had to get funding sorted out before staging this so that they would not have to depend on the West.

They are being funded by BRICS now in place of this.... betcha.

Anybody remember those deals months ago.

SHAZAAM this just got interesting!

This isn't over people. Watch the news.
edit on 4-7-2013 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

I'm not defending The Muslim Brotherhood, Morsi, the US, the Egyptian Army or whoever but what are the alternatives?
It's a sad reflection on the reality of life but if the US weren't arming the Egyptians someone else would do.

Fair point, although its basically an American funded coup in all but name, which will probably have the effect of helping radicalise the millions of Muslims in Egypt that still support the MB.

I don't know enough about what's exactly going on in Egypt. I dont know what the majority want? Its a massive country of 82 million. It's hard to gauge, just from street protests, who the majority would vote for.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nephalim

No they're not. How could they have known that a foreign leader would be ousted by his own people? Had they have known, they'd have needed the time to put an immediate stop on said funding.
t

They're not what? Funding the Egyptian Army or breaking US law?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

t

They're not what? Funding the Egyptian Army or breaking US law?

Law. How could you expect that they just drop everything that theyre doing and stop funding for anyone? Have you seen how our government operates? Things dont exactly happen at the drop of a dime.
edit on 4-7-2013 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Fair point, although its basically an American funded coup in all but name, which will probably have the effect of helping radicalise the millions of Muslims in Egypt that still support the MB.

I don't know enough about what's exactly going on in Egypt. I dont know what the majority want? Its a massive country of 82 million. It's hard to gauge, just from street protests, who the majority would vote for.

It appears it is not but you are not the first one who has stated this. It's making it confusing but I think I see what is going on now.

They are trying to scare the military into not supporting the protesters by retracting the funding.

I think it is as simple as that and it's not against the law.

I really thought it was strange for people to be saying the US was supporting a coup.

Now they are just back to being crooked as hell.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Since when did law, either US or International enter the equation?

If they operated under the law, they wouldn't have destroyed Libya. If they operated under the law, they wouldn't be spying on everyone. And perhaps a biggie when it comes to US law, they wouldn't be supplying a penny of aid to Israel as, under the Symingtom amendment, they are not allowed to fund in any way nuclear states with undeclared nuclear weapons programmes..... and yet, they just keep operating outside the law, as have all adminstrations (it's not a Republican v Democratic thing).

Laws are there for the little people to be battered with, not the elites and bankers!

edit on 4-7-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
comment deleted

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   
All I'm saying is that, the Egyptian Army is funded and trained by the US. It was the Egyptian Army that carried out the coup. Millions of people were demanding the ousting of Morsi. Millions probably wanted him to stay. It's difficult to know in a country with 82 million.

Don't take it personally.
edit on 4-7-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Thats dirty and you guys know it.
An american funded coup. Youre seriously going to put millions of people ousting their leader on the US?

F*** that, I didn't do crap. The egyptian people make their own choices in their country. This is what they wanted. This is what they got. They elected a guy, they ousted a guy, now they wanna elect another guy. Thats their issue, Not ours.

Don't worry...
Its not US funded... It's BRICS funded and Iran helped make the deal.... I had to edit my first post.

This is for that so called Brotherhood biz.

DAMN.

What's going to happen next? Other than BRICS picking up the slack where US is going to drop funding.

What are they going to do to that guy?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

All I'm saying is that, the Egyptian Army is funded and trained by the US. It was the Egyptian Army that carried out the coup. Millions of people were demanding the ousting of Morsi. Millions probably wanted him to stay. It's difficult to know in a country with 82 million.

Don't take it personally.

Not forgetting Al-Sisi trained in the UK and the USA.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Posted edited- never mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnAspie

Don't worry...
Its not US funded... It's BRICS funded and Iran helped make the deal.... I had to edit my first post.....

It is funded by the U.S. and has been for over 30 years.
Operation Bright Star U.S. Military - Egyptian Coalition
Joint Exercise and Training
1980 - 2013

Operation Bright Star is a series of biennial combined and joint training exercises led by American and Egyptian forces in Egypt. These exercises began in 1980, rooted in the Camp David Accords. After its signing, the military forces of Egypt and the United States agreed to conduct coalition training in Egypt.

They are designed to strengthen ties between the Egyptian and the U.S. United States Central Command and demonstrate and enhance the ability of the Americans to reinforce their allies in the Middle East in the event of war.
en.wikipedia.org...

Despite current political instability, the Bright Star exercises will take place according to schedule, announced military spokesperson Ahmed Mohamed Ali.
www.egyptindependent.com...

In addition to large amounts of annual U.S. military assistance, Egypt benefits from certain aid provisions that are available to only a few other countries. Since 2000, Egypt's FMF funds have been deposited in an interest bearing account in the Federal Reserve Bank of New York and have remained there until they are obligated. By law (P.L. 106-280), Congress must be notified if any of the interest accrued in this account is obligated. ... Cash flow financing allows Egypt to negotiate major arms purchases with U.S. defense suppliers.

Although the law itself allows for strict congressional and Defense Department oversight concerning Egypt's use of the account -- Congress must approve every individual weapons purchase and has rejected Egyptian requests in the past -- the Egyptian military still has a financially appreciating fund that it can spend on state-of-the-art American-produced weaponry.

www.theatlantic.com...

www.fas.org...

The largest U.S. military training exercises on foreign soil take place in Egypt

In addition to buying Egypt weapons like 1,200 M1 Abrams tanks and hundreds of F-16 fighter jets, the United States spends millions of dollars annually to train Egyptian troops in war games in the Middle East. Egypt’s current defense chief, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, is an alum of the U.S. Army War College in Pennsylvania while the head of Egypt’s air force, Reda Mahmoud Hafez Mohamed, did a tour in the United States as a liaison officer, and the recently retired head of the Egyptian navy, Mohab Mamish, did a bunch of tours in the United States . Their cases are hardly unique; more than 500 Egyptian military officers train at American military graduate schools every year. There’s even a special guesthouse on T Street in northwest Washington, D.C., where visiting Egyptian military officials stay when in the American capital.

antiwar.com...

What's going to happen next? Other than BRICS picking up the slack where US is going to drop funding.

What are they going to do to that guy?

Not going to happen. Egypts southern neighbor, Israel has a treaty with Egypt.
And it is enforced by the U.S. money is in the bank.
edit on 4-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Fair point, although its basically an American funded coup in all but name,....

But if the military had supported Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood the US would have been open to allegations of propping up an Islamist regime.
In addition if the US hadn't supplied the Egyptian army they would probably have been accused by some of not supporting a democratically elected government.

The US were pretty much in a no win situation here.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not naïve enough to suggest that the US only had Egypt's best interest's at heart, their primary drivers are as always money and influence - as has always been the case with superpowers throughout human history.

I don't think the US supplied the Egyptian Army with the specific intent of arming future instigators of an Army coup d'état, but again, I don't doubt that they know where the 'real' power lies in Egypt and the last thing they wanted was China, Russia or whoever arming them.

.... which will probably have the effect of helping radicalise the millions of Muslims in Egypt that still support the MB.

And possibly gaining the support of the many millions of Muslims in Egypt who don't support the Muslim Brotherhood.

I don't know enough about what's exactly going on in Egypt.

Well that's two of us mate because I'm confused as hell.

I dont know what the majority want? Its a massive country of 82 million. It's hard to gauge, just from street protests, who the majority would vote for.

Do they know themselves?
It's only a year since the Muslim Brotherhood backed Morsi was 'democratically' elected President in the fall out from massive street protests.

Morsi's Presidency certainly seemed to see a distinct polarization of opinion in Egypt with people being either passionate supporters of him and the Muslim Brotherhood and the 'Islamist's' or being vehemently opposed to them and supportive of more 'liberal' policies.

edit on 4/7/13 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Egypt is just Libya 2.0.

Topple the current leader so there is another foot in the middle east.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
to burntheships

I know that Egypt has been controlled by the US for decades & before the US there was plenty of European intervention. It's all quite interesting.

That is exactly why the US / Zionists did NOT want this to happen, because historically speaking Israel & Egypt are like two sides of a carefully balanced scale. This is the entire reason that the western powers became so involved with Egypt... and early on in modern history, because they had to pave that path before embarking on further world domination efforts.

That's what makes this so interesting. If the US helped to achieve this, it was done by a non conventional part of our government that is not quite on par with the Zionist plan. Israel is nervous right now. Those treaties you talk about grew out of the Western funded control of Egypt. Without that dependence on the Western funds, what will happen of that treaty?

that is why this does NOT look Western or Zionist backed.... but again, these things can be very hard to tell.
Morsi claimed to be against Zionism but supported the ouster of assad.. a lot like Turkeys leadership that no one believes. If you notice that your examples combined with current events prove that we had a large stake in putting weapons and training in Egypt, to gang up on Syria & I believe this is why Kerry waived certification of certain regulations involving the transfer of some F-16, but that does not mean that the people of Egypt & the military is going to continue to be a puppet of a Zionist plot. Sure, they'll take what is given to them and work with others to learn and benefit, but if you see the regional plan, it's falling apart. Some want to use Egypt as a base for further middle East war endeavors. I don't think it's going to happen.

Some in our gov warned about the vulnerability of those funds, but they went ahead and put stock in Egypt. I think they have realized they shot off their own foot & I think others in our gov knew this would happen & turned a blind eye because they are sick of these wars.

I also think since the US is going broke, some in our gov allowed this exchange to take place.
If We are not funding them, if Saudi doesn't pick up funding & If the sanctions against Iran do not work because China gave the global monetary system the finger.... then why do you think that Ahmadinejad made it a point go offer deals to Egypt Feb? in spite of the struggling economic situations in those countries & other countries as well.

Even though they report that Iran's economy is struggling, you know the pictures the media wants to paint. The warmongers want to paint Iran as weak, because our military people do not want to go trifling with Iran.

Despite their current economic hardship, with China at their back... & Russia standing guard over their regional interests. Ahmadinejad goes to Egypt talking about offering huge loans to Egypt's messed up economy.

What do you think Iran would be trying to help Egypt fund? A space program?

People were arrested for trying to attack him and some Sunnis were condemning him but he was received & his visit carefully downplayed by officials. then after being attacked he waves & gets into the car with a smile on his face. This is what he says about Egypt being an important key in this ongoing so called holy war.

Ahmadinejad said outside forces were trying to prevent a rapprochement between the Middle East's two most populous nations, at odds since Iran's 1979 Islamic revolution and Egypt's signing of a peace treaty with Israel in the same year.

"We must all understand that the only option is to set up this alliance because it is in the interests of the Egyptian and Iranian peoples and other nations of the region,"

Now can I prove they made this deal? No. All I can say is that BRICS nations set up an international development bank & are vested in Iranian oil & are dumping the world reserve currency on it's butt. This would turn the table & it has already come to pass that Saudi must also sell oil outside the dollar to compete with the world's largest oil sales. it's nothing more than a house of cards from that point forward... and I have been eagerly watching this.

Now, Unless the western backed oil tycoons have simply changed their mind on the masterplan, this coup is not in their interest... because Morsi was their guy. So why do all this just to pacify the protests? Why stage this in the first place? Why not just use those efforts to make those people happy by helping the Egyptian economy or building some infrastructure or something? Perhaps because they would rather invest in the military which is understood & therefore makes my theory just a theory. So how can we tell what's really going on or whether or not this axis loan deal was made to pick up Egypts military funding?

We watch the reactions of Isreal & the good ol boys back home.

Why is Israel scared? Why are the good ol boys frowning?

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. We have to wait & see really.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
President Obama has been VERY reluctant to call it a "coup" for this exact reason.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

President Obama has ordered a review of all aid to Egypt since the coup occurred.

The other thing to keep in mind is the agreements / treaties we have in place with Egypt.. Those agreements / treaties may very well exempt the government from that particular law.

top topics

join