It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help in purchasing a bible

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Those of you who like the KJV but want more modern language, mostly gravitate toward the NKJV, but there is another choice, the KJV II. It is 100% modern English, and was produced using a supercomputer. It is not as easy to find, and the copy I did find was mediocre in printing/binding quality. I put mine aside when I found that the "hell" word was still used. My, how these things hang on!

Some of you may wonder why I even brought it up...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hey everyone! Thanks for the references. I'm just looking for a Christian bible with simple English to follow. The reason I say that is because a lot of translations have words that are confusing and I would like to be able to read where I can just easily breeze through it. To get the basic understanding of Christianity from the Christian bible. I would love to be able to get Catholic bibles, etc so I can see the different books, etc.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Be careful what you pick, because anything other than the Authorized King James Version has been tampered with. Some verses have been totally removed from modern day bibles, and others have been reworded to create a different meaning. I would hate to see you become discouraged or confused because you read a bible that does not offer a true translation, and convey the correct message.

I know exactly what you're searching for, but I still feel the need to warn you. Here is a link you may find interesting about bibles that have been tampered with. Just reading the first part will give you and idea:

www.remnantofgod.org...
edit on 8-7-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Why only one? You can have different versions.

So, which Bible is the best? Perhaps the best answer is this: The one you’ll read.

There have been a great many recommendations here, each with their pros and cons. Go to a Christian bookstore and thumb through some of them. Whichever one you can understand best, get it.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by IsidoreOfSeville

I want to purchase a simple translation at first and then purchase different translations later down the line. I don't just want to to read the Christian bible. But I want to understand more about Christianity. There is a lot of history. Like other religions (Islam, Hinduism, etc.) it's so diverse and a lot of groups do disagree and agree at the same time. I just would like to understand better.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

I would suggest the The Expositor's New Testament. Here is a link to the kindle version so you can get an idea of how it is laid out and the references in the text to help clarify the text.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373675938&sr=8-1&keywords=the+expositors+study+bible+NE W+TESTAMENT#_

It comes in a full version to of both the new and old covenants
edit on 12-7-2013 by guitarplayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
Hey everyone! Thanks for the references. I'm just looking for a Christian bible with simple English to follow. The reason I say that is because a lot of translations have words that are confusing and I would like to be able to read where I can just easily breeze through it. To get the basic understanding of Christianity from the Christian bible. I would love to be able to get Catholic bibles, etc so I can see the different books, etc.

Catholic bibles contain some books not considered inspired by the Holy Spirit, but were more like a history lesson. The KJV and NKJV revolves around Jesus and the requirements for salvation, respective to the prophets. A lot of the NKJV study bibles will tell you exactly where the Apostles and Jesus quote the prophets from scripture (old testament) and show how Jesus fulfilled those prophecies. The protestant canon removed the books that weren't central to salvation, so as not to confuse the readers about the message Christ brought.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I was thinking of buying a cheap hardback copy of the (N)KJV or an NIV hardback soon. Currently I own a weird pocket book of the KJV's version. But I would like a larger book with text I can see properly. The last church I attended had copies of the NIV and I liked how easy they were to read and they also included footnotes to help me understand what the verses mean. Also I did own a large bright blue NIV paperback. But when I lost my faith I destroyed it. I wish I could slap my younger self.

Anyhow I untimely want to get my hand as many Christian (and other religious) books, audio, video, etc. So I can learn more about their beliefs to understand them better. This is why ATS is a great site. You and countless others express their views and have great debates.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
OMG! I cannot believe I found a bible! Not just any bible. A bible from the church I attended as a teenager on my own. I was like a lone teenage believer where the only kids where from families who attended service together. Tyler Street Church of Christ brings back so many memories. I cannot believe I'm a different person as a Christian wanting to become a preacher. These memories are very powerful I never felt something like this in a long time.

It's a New International Version (NIV) of the bible. A few churches used NIV versions as pew bibles. I also have the pocket KJV as well. Which I'll get a regular KJV or NKJV in a few months. This is going be awesome to read them and study.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I was thinking of buying a cheap hardback copy of the (N)KJV or an NIV hardback soon. Currently I own a weird pocket book of the KJV's version. But I would like a larger book with text I can see properly. The last church I attended had copies of the NIV and I liked how easy they were to read and they also included footnotes to help me understand what the verses mean. Also I did own a large bright blue NIV paperback. But when I lost my faith I destroyed it. I wish I could slap my younger self.

Anyhow I untimely want to get my hand as many Christian (and other religious) books, audio, video, etc. So I can learn more about their beliefs to understand them better. This is why ATS is a great site. You and countless others express their views and have great debates.

I wouldn't rely heavily on the NIV personally. NIV is like walking through a minefield blindfolded, a lot of errors in there and verses have been changed. NIV is good for a beginner to get the general message of salvation, but I would move to something more accurate like the NKJV.

You also need to get you an intra-linear scripture analyzer, you can find some free ones to download that use Strong's Exhaustive Concordance and have the ancient greek and hebrew in them, i'll link it below so you can download it.

Intralinear Scripture Analyzer 2.1

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I'm glad you've found one! Good for you!
Realize first you won't understand everything right away. It's a journey. God bless you on your journey!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Defiantly! It's going to be a fun journey. I can at least read and compare the two bibles I have found. Still I want a Catholic bible, a hardback copy of the Book of Mormon, etc. I would really like to learn about Christianity and everything in-between.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Thanks for the reference. What does intra-linear scripture analyzer do? I never heard of it. Also I don't think one bible is better than the others. Of course I'm a skeptic who just wants to understand. Who knows what will happen down the line. But at the moment I would to understand Christianity better.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

OMG! I cannot believe I found a bible! Not just any bible. A bible from the church I attended as a teenager on my own. I was like a lone teenage believer where the only kids where from families who attended service together. Tyler Street Church of Christ brings back so many memories. I cannot believe I'm a different person as a Christian wanting to become a preacher. These memories are very powerful I never felt something like this in a long time.

It's a New International Version (NIV) of the bible. A few churches used NIV versions as pew bibles. I also have the pocket KJV as well. Which I'll get a regular KJV or NKJV in a few months. This is going be awesome to read them and study.

Sweet
. There's nothing like finding something from the past that can re-spark the flame. This is just my thought, but don't get to caught up on commentary if the one you selected has any. Just pray before you read and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and you'll be good. God bless you while you take this amazing journey

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Thanks for the reference. What does intra-linear scripture analyzer do? I never heard of it. Also I don't think one bible is better than the others. Of course I'm a skeptic who just wants to understand. Who knows what will happen down the line. But at the moment I would to understand Christianity better.

ISA's have the ancient Hebrew and Greek languages in them, translated with Strong's Exhaustive Concordance which is one of the most widely used and leading translations in those ancient languages. I was an agnostic once, but the battle lines are being drawn. The time to choose a side is now and as an old jewish saying goes "as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord".

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Defiantly! It's going to be a fun journey. I can at least read and compare the two bibles I have found. Still I want a Catholic bible, a hardback copy of the Book of Mormon, etc.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way to get a physical copy of the Book of Mormon is to ask for one, and that opens up a door that you might not want to go through. I got mine from a Mormon girl I was dating, so it came without a missionary (so to speak, lol,) which is not usually the case.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Defiantly! It's going to be a fun journey. I can at least read and compare the two bibles I have found. Still I want a Catholic bible, a hardback copy of the Book of Mormon, etc. I would really like to learn about Christianity and everything in-between.

Mormons are not considered Christians by orthodox Christianity. They do not believe that Jesus is our God, but another God to be worshipped separate from the Almighty, which is unscriptural as the Lord said he would not give his praise or worship to any other (Isaiah 42:8, Exodus 34:14) and Jesus was worshipped by many 2000 years ago, even by his disciples. Jesus also said we should not have more than 1 wife and majority of Mormons practice polygamy (multiple wives). They do a lot of non scriptural stuff that is considered heretical.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

They still have a relationship with Christianity. Which invites me to learn more about them. A Mormon could have became president which shows we need to learn about them. Also I thought Jesus didn't come to abolish the laws from Judaism but to fulfill the law. Which Jesus wouldn't say a man should have 1 wife or not eat kosher.

Maybe I read it differently.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Actually, the Mormons are a totally different religion, which has the character of Jesus Christ in common. That's about it, as far as their connection to Christianity. They don't view Christ, God, or religion in the same way as orthodox Christians do.

posted on Jul, 20 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I remember seeing the Mormon cartoon that is popular on the internet. What about when they use the King Jame's bible? Weird! I defiantly have to look into Mormonism. I do know they had a succession crises which resulted in various denominations in their religions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join