It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help in purchasing a bible

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello everyone! I was looking to purchase a new hardback edition of the Christian bible. The only problem is that there are so many to chose from I cannot differentiate what one would be the perfect choice. I'm looking for a great translation that is in modern English; It would be great for a dictionary or something to help explain the verses; I'll use the Hebrew bible I own as an example: Genesis 1:6: "God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate between water and war." Now the author included text that would help define what is happening in the verse: Genesis 1:6: "The commentators generally agree that the term "firmament" refers to the atmosphere that encircles the world." This helps me to understand what the word "firmament" means and how it is used in Judaism.

Now I'm looking for a Christian bible that would be very similar to the Hebrew bible that I own. The Jewish bible is very different than the Christian bible and I would like to learn more about Christianity. Please help me! If you have any questions send them my way. Thanks for anyone that can help me out here.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
You may need look no further than this:

ChristianBibleSociety.org - the one in Mammoth Spring, Arkansas.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Lazarus Short because: lah-de-dah

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix267

Personally, I use the LOLCat Bible. Here's the beginning of Genesis:

1 1 Oh hai. In teh beginnin Ceiling Cat maded teh skiez An da Urfs, but he did not eated dem. 2 Da Urfs no had shapez An haded dark face, An Ceiling Cat rode invisible bike over teh waterz. 3 At start, no has lyte. An Ceiling Cat sayz, i can haz lite? An lite wuz. 4 An Ceiling Cat sawed teh lite, to seez stuffs, An splitted teh lite from dark but taht wuz ok cuz kittehs can see in teh dark An not tripz over nethin. 5 An Ceiling Cat sayed light Day An dark no Day. It were FURST!!!1

Can't get much more "modern English" than that.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Blasphemer!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I kind of like the LOLcat Bible. You don't study it, of course, but for ten minutes of fun reading and a different way of looking at things it's enjoyable.

But, to the OP's question.

Consider looking at www.biblegateway.com... They have dozens of different translations you can look through to find one you're comfortable with. That's a good start.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
Hello everyone! I was looking to purchase a new hardback edition of the Christian bible. The only problem is that there are so many to chose from I cannot differentiate what one would be the perfect choice. I'm looking for a great translation that is in modern English; It would be great for a dictionary or something to help explain the verses; I'll use the Hebrew bible I own as an example: Genesis 1:6: "God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate between water and war." Now the author included text that would help define what is happening in the verse: Genesis 1:6: "The commentators generally agree that the term "firmament" refers to the atmosphere that encircles the world." This helps me to understand what the word "firmament" means and how it is used in Judaism.

best would be to get one that includes a strongs concordance. something like this:
www.blueletterbible.org...

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Take a look at the Aramaic English New Testament. Translation by Andrew Gabriel Roth its the oldest of the New testament text.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Your best bet would be to get a Strong's Concordance and an Authorized King James Version. That's the only way that would not be corrupted in any way. Yes, it's not in plain modern English, but it's not difficult to read and understand.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My hubby preaches out of the New King James version since our church prefers the KJV, but I use the Holman standard edition. The one I use is an Apologetics Study Bible and it does have notes at the bottom of each page which clarify the text, along with providing commentary on different religions/beliefs and how they relate to or differentiate from Christianity.

Here is a link to a similar one Bible
About the Bible from the website

•The full text of the popular Holman Christian Standard Bible® translation
•Two-color page layout
•Introduction to each Bible book focusing on its inherent elements of apologetics
•10 point text
•Double-column format
•Book Outlines
•Translation Footnotes
•Articles on ethics, science, archaeology, philosophy, and non-Christian belief systems
•Study notes that explain "problem" passages
•Sidebars on Scriptures misused by cults
•Profiles of historic Christian apologists from Justin Martyr to C. S. Lewis
•Plan of Salvation
•Hardcover

I would definitely stay away from any Bible such as "The Message" , the newer New International Versions, New Living Bible, or any that are paraphrased.

If you want a good commentary aside from the Bible, Matthew Poole is supposed to be very good and his is the one Charles Spurgeon preferred to use.

Hope that helps.

~OkieDokie

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I would never help you out brother for the fact of rendition.May I suggest a few documentaries before selection

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
You have reminded me of this thread :
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its actually the reason I first started coming to this website years ago...I had heard of a Jeopardy answer : most accurate bible translation....
After doing a web search I found the above thread, and have been here ever since.

But on subject This guy: Jason David BeDuhn is the Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff
Wrote this book: "TRUTH IN TRANSLATION: ACCURACY AND BIAS IN ENGLISH TRANSLATIONS OF THE NEW TESTAMENT"

Although he himself is not a fan of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society...he observed "... it can be said that the NW emerges as the most accurate of the translations compared...the translators managed to produce works relatively more accurate and less biased than the translations produced by multi-denominational teams, as well as those produced by single individuals." "Jehovah's Witnesses... really sought to re invent Christianity from scratch... building their system of belief and practice from the raw material of the Bible without predetermining what was to be found there. Some critics, of course, would say that the results of this practice can be naive. But for Bible translation, at least, it has meant a fresh approach to the text, with far less presumption than that found in may of the Protestant translations." "...Most of the differences are due to the greater accuracy of the NW as a literal, conservative translation of the original expressions of the New Testament."

So with that in mind, if you are looking for traditions carried over in bible versions...go KJV or something similar...if your looking for non biased translation ....ask one of them pesky Jehovah's Witnesses next time you see them in the neighborhood "declaring the good news" and "preahing from house to house" (ya know Jesus didn't ask to do to many things, love your God, love your neighbor, preach his word...anyways...)

Ask one of them for a copy, they'll give it to ya free.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Here's ya a wiki article on the NWT

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh...here's a link to it online: www.jw.org...

X

edit on 3-7-2013 by Xcouncil=wisdom because: added link to JW.ORG

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Textreply to post by Phoenix267

Hello, I highly recommend the NASB. New American Standard Bible. They tried to keep this version as close as possible to the original Hebrew and Greek verses. Just google 'Hebrew bible translation from NASB', to research more. I have studied the bible my whole life, the NIV is one of the easiest but not most accurate, leaves a lot out. The word is living. If you have questions pray the Holy Spirit will teach you, and ask brothers and sisters in Christ. I will answer any questions I can. God Bless

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I'm fond of the NIV - New International Version.
Lots of footnotes and absolutley beautiful and poetic translations throughout the work.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I prefer the New King James version. It's very easy to read and no different than the KJV, It just takes out the "thees and thous" and replaces them with modern terms. I've purchased all of my Bible's from here: www.christianbook.com... they pretty much have everything you need.

I'm not much on commentaries, I prefer to use an Interlinear with Strong's and a Greek dictionary. I translated the New Testament from Greek to English 12 years ago using pen and paper and a typewriter. Talk about a nightmare, lol. One day I'll transfer it all to digital so it can be printed out.

Anyway, happy hunting. I hope you find one that works good for you.
edit on 4-7-2013 by RealTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I have several translations & versions. Those which I use regularly are:

NASB Study Bible
Aramaic Pe#ta (George Lamsa translation)

For King James Version I prefer using the Webster Bible.

Jewish Bible I have is Complete Jewish Bible, I also have the Jewish New Testament Commentary. The Commentary is handicapped by its degree of bias, however it is informative and offers additional pertinent perspective.

Greek Septuagint and Hebrew Masoretic Texts for Old Testament translations are trustworthy sources. I would not recommend Latin Vulgate translations and Orthodox Bibles, as although they can be somewhat helpful to those who have read through the Bible in Its entirety, they are also compromised in many respects for those whom may be the novice or part-time/as-needed reader.

Holman's Christian Standard Bible is decent, but also limited in perspective.

New International Version, meh, it'll do if you don't have anything else, but it can be misleading at times.

Edit to add:

For crying out loud, the Name of a Bible translation was censored by ATS ?? Gimme a break

The "nasty" word that has been edited out above is the ARAMAIC P-E-S-H-I-T-T-A

edit on 7/4/2013 by WashMoreFeet because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/4/2013 by WashMoreFeet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If you are interested in orthodox Christianity, I'd suggest staying away from "variants" that are not orthodox Christian texts (in this thread, both the "Aramaic" and "Jehovah's Witness" Bibles are variants -- they're fine for followers of those religions, but they would give you an unrealistic view of Christianity.)

Decide whether you want Catholic or Protestant Bibles (they're essentially the same, except that the Catholic Bibles include a number of book in the Old Testament that the Protestants do not) and then find a translation you like. For me, it's the New International Version for the Protestant side and the New American Bible Revised Edition for the Catholic side.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Many good suggestions, my signature has link to a bible, I also use Bible Hub
Another good LINK

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267
I'm looking for a great translation that is in modern English; It would be great for a dictionary or something to help explain the verses; I'll use the Hebrew bible I own as an example: Genesis 1:6: "God said, "Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it separate between water and war."

The best translation is probably not the one that you are using.

If you want a 'literal' translation of the bible, why not read Young's 'literal' translation? Maybe that is what you are looking for.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I used Biblegateway.com on the internet. Look for the Orthodox Jewish Bible, believe it or not they do have a new testament, biblegateway.com is the one I use for online purposes. Offline I use New King James Version. I also use an intra-linear analyzer with both ancient Hebrew and Greek using Strong's Exhaustive Concordance. I've found the NKJV is best for someone who speaks modern English. My rabbi uses the OKJV and NKJV in tandem with the OJB.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join