It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China's first aircraft carrier departs on first official voyage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   

the Liaoning

Sources for this information.

digitaljournal.com...

and english.farsnews.com...

China's first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, has left its homeport in Eastern China on its first voyage, for the purpose of conducting scientific experimental research as well as several tests.
The People's Liberation Army Navy stated that the navy vessel departed the Qingdao port on training voyages. While stationed at the port, the ship's crew took part in on-ground naval drills, Xinhua and Fars News report.

Mods I searched for this information but found nothing in the search. I made my best guess on where to put this.

I find it interesting that so little has been discussed about the recent activity of this aircraft carrier. The Chinese are flexing their muscle but it seems like just about no one is noticing or is concerned. Maybe it is just not that important now days with anti-ship missiles.

Well I take that back. The Taiwanese military is certainly taking notice. See this resource.
War game to simulate China carrier attack on Taiwan, report says

edit on 3-7-2013 by angrymartian because: added more info

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymartian

Well seeing as the usa has 11 they have the right to at least 1.

Should we be concerned in the west? Maybe

Should we condem them? No as they have the right to build one.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Only their piloting skills,they tend to fly into aircraft they are trying to buzz.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok

Well seeing as the usa has 11 they have the right to at least 1.

Should we be concerned in the west? Maybe

Should we condem them? No as they have the right to build one.

I hope you know how fast and cheap china can mass produce anything.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Thing is its interesting to see how humanity CAN develop and allows a somewhat optimistic view of what could be built if cooperation's globally inside and on the roof where in play. Hmm many would
in joy as they looked back at the system they exploring away from. But... self inflicted chains. Slow progress.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Ten actually. Enterprise is off the rolls, and Ford won't even hit the water for a little while still.

In related news, the Indian aircraft carrier that they got from Russia (ex-Admiral Gorshkov) is undergoing sea trials, and their first indigenous carrier will be floated August 12th.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Do you happen to know the name of it and if it is nuclear powered or not? I did not see information about the capabilities of this new old stock carrier they are floating around but I think that they do not have the support ships for a carrier group at this point.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The ex-Gorshkov is now the INS Vikramditya, and has been sailing for at least several months now undergoing trials.

The new carrier is the INS Vikrant. She's 40,000 tons, 860 feet long, with a 30 aircraft capacity (20 fixed wing, 10 helicopters). It's a STOBAR configuration, with a ski jump which will allow MiG-29s to operate off her deck. She's going to be gas powered.

INS Vishal is going to be the second carrier they build. It is still in the design phase, and could be 65,000 tons, with steam catapults. Reports are that she's still years away from starting though.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Chinese aircraft carrier programme : en.wikipedia.org...

Since the 1970s, the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) has expressed interest in operating an aircraft carrier as part of its blue water aspirations, and press reports have frequently quoted senior Chinese military officials as expressing an intention to build aircraft carriers. In 2011, People's Liberation Army Chief of the General Staff Chen Bingde confirmed that China was constructing at least one aircraft carrier.On September 25, 2012, China's first aircraft carrier, Liaoning, was commissioned.

Since 1985, China has acquired four retired aircraft carriers for study, the Australian HMAS Melbourne and the ex-Soviet carriers Minsk, Kiev and Varyag. Reports state that two 50,000–60,000 ton Type 089 aircraft carriers based on the Varyag, are due to be finished by 2015.Sukhoi Su-33s (navalized Flankers) are the aircraft most likely to be flown from these carriers,but China is also developing its own multirole fighter, the Shenyang J-15

edit on 3-7-2013 by Echoes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

My hat is off to the Russians for managing to profit from partly completed rapidly depreciating cold war assets. They sold hulks of steel and then sold their upgrades to a war ship and sold some fighters planes as well. They are also the only ones that can fix this aging piece of hardware. I also noticed it is diesel powered not nuclear. This will ensure it stays close to friendly ports that have affordable diesel for the thing,

new topics

top topics

join