It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**ALL MEMBERS*** Before Its News as a source

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Can we also deep six anything to do with Alex Jones or Glenn beck?

If only......lol

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

not that i've ever used BIN as a source

but it occurs to me that this thread would be an excellent opportunity
to post a complete listing of sites that are considered unacceptable as sources
[perhaps with a brief explanation why?]

unless such a list already exists, of course

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
We've come to realization that "Before It's News" has pushed more hoaxes than "Sorcha Faal" ever did, therefor ALL threads started with BIN as the only source will go immediately into the HOAX Bin. For now we won't hold it against the member, but, after a month or so of this policy being in effect repeat offenders will be up for an account review. We've been told there are some "interested parties" (read as people who may be getting a slice of BIN's ad money) who have ATS accounts, that won't fly here.

We don't want to support an operation that continues to push ridiculous hoaxes, just to garner page views with traffic from ATS.

Springer...

"We've come to realization that "Before It's News" has pushed more hoaxes than "Sorcha Faal" ever did, therefor ALL threads started with BIN as the only source will go immediately into the HOAX Bin."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Jebus mate i hope you have never read the bible or any other religious text/matter, now there is a Hoax for ya! And you even have a section pertaining to said ideologies if im not mistaken. LoL

Back to your above, even if the topic is covered by other media sources? (Stated or otherwise? I was/am on a tablet at the time) Give me a little leeway please! Plain to see Its the Muslim issue that drew your obviously PC eagle eye!
What happened to ATS???

www.patheos.com...

themuslimissue.wordpress.com...

"For now we won't hold it against the member, but, after a month or so of this policy being in effect repeat offenders will be up for an account review"

For now eh? I understand My Fuhrer, I will look out my brown shirt. Don't know if its just me but that kind of seems threatening. Will my account be up for review if i post issues from other controversial outlets? Have the TPTB given you a list? Or do you just make it up as you go along?

"We've been told there are some "interested parties" (read as people who may be getting a slice of BIN's ad money) who have ATS accounts, that won't fly here."

LOL Im certainly not in it for the money! I thought I was in it for the freedom of speech aspect, where did that go I wonder? That right its not in the TnC.

I'm a little elebrated (Dlunk LoL) but one has to wonder???

Please don't remove/review my ATS account oh mighty one, i actually quite value it! Plus i don't like long train journeys.

Good day to you Sir.

And the beat goes on!

Don't turn to the dark side Springer, there's still time.

Peace be upon you!
edit on 3-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
Can we also deep six anything to do with Alex Jones or Glenn beck?

I'm all for that as long as we can add CNN since anything they report has about as much merit as either of the 2 sources you mention. Fair is fair.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Are you trying to cut down on the size of the pasture of the Debunkers Springer? If we don't have a lot of food for the debunkers, they will leave and go where the grazing is better. I think that could be up to half of the members that need to feed on those sort of threads. Notice how the herd stampedes towards anything with "Before it's News" as a source in the threads.

I have seen lots of information from Before it's News that has turned out to have some base, but it always seems that the information is either one sided, incomplete, distorted, or just a hoax most times. I guess it is no more than food for debunkers. A few times it was so distorted, it even left the debunkers unable to comment.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well, I mostly see it as a copyist, or perhaps a mirrored site rather than BIN exclusives so far. I don't particularly agree with the restriction though, it's not a protection for ATS members, it's not really fair either, most members that know about BIN often say that BIN is not the best first preference, and by doing so as of now, at the risk of being off topic in a general way.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I never visited the site. (Well, I have now just to see what ATS was going on about.) I lasted about five seconds before I closed the tab. Really doesn't look that appealing to me, and I doubt many members will fret too much about not being able to use it as a source.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Fine by me. Add in FOX and MSNBC too.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I agree we need at least some level of control against hoaxes, ATS does a good job of vetting stories for truth.

ATS is my go to site for before it is MSM news anyways.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

As you are the site owner - you will do as you see fit and I don't have a problem with that. What I would like to do is point out that Above Top Secret advertises - quite clearly - right beneath the Above Top Secret logo - DENY IGNORANCE (replicated in capitals for authenticity only.)

If you ban Before It's News how many other sites will you ban? Is this just the beginning of a long list of sites you will ban - although I am not permitted to use a particular site (not Before It's News) because you have forbidden me to do so. So for me it is Not Before It's News (never saw it before I came here and don't go there as a personal choice) as well as ***** o* t** ****.

From my perspective it means you are possibly drip feeding and thus controlling from where and how the members of this site derive their information. As a consequence you slowly become a controller of how and where the members of this website garner their decisions on the information that is presented via this site for discussion and inspection by the members.

As I stated in the first paragraph - your site and you can do whatever you like - I don't have a problem with that I am merely adding my thoughts to the thread you provided for just that purpose. Thank you for the opportunity to speak/write my thoughts.

Much Peace...

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Amanda5, my sentiments exactly!!! Star if I could. IT'S A TRAP!!! FREEDOM!!!!
edit on 3-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
what next ATS to censor topics of discussion that cut a little to close to the bone

WAIT A MINUTE THEY DO
hardy ha

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnBlack
Seems like quite a double standard, banning a site as a news source when...I have read so MANY people on here claiming the MSM is the most corrupt and biased news sources going.

Why is the MSM accepted but other source such as BIT are not? I don't see how one is any better than another when we all KNOW that the MSM is bought and paid for by someone, something or some corporation.

Is BIT a competitive site?

No one is banning BIN form the internet. You're free to go read their funny pages any time you want. All this seems to me is putting a stop to people reading the comics there, and instantly starting a thread here referring to it.

Good. It's tedious to read a lengthy op that is all cut and paste and then see the link at the bottom.

But of chouarse, the double standards are glaringly obvious as ATS once more tries to ban the internet.

Pretty soon I wont have any options at all once I choose to log in here.....

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Slippery slope arguments tend to lose sight of reality and muddy the point. It's like saying if we jail serial killers then how long before jay walkers are getting the death penalty. It is emotionally compelling but intellectually unsound.

ATS takes pride in the fact that we seek to find a good balance regarding source, documentation, "proof" et all. We have forums where these standards are a bit more relaxed - allowing for subjective and anecdotal stories to be presented. We even have three forums that cater, in varying degrees, to those things that don't seem to stand up to scrutiny very well ( Skunk Works, Hoax, and Ludicrous Online Lies ). So much of the "evidence" that you are suggesting we censor is here... just in an appropriately named forum.

Also should any of the stories in those forums ever produce more conclusive proofs or support? They can be moved to another forum.

There are people who come to ATS because here we at least try to keep the absolutely fabricated nonsense out of the information pool. That is an important aspect of this site that makes it what it is. Take that away and we'd lose much of what makes us "us"

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans

Originally posted by JohnBlack
Seems like quite a double standard, banning a site as a news source when...I have read so MANY people on here claiming the MSM is the most corrupt and biased news sources going.

But that is just hipster jive talk, nobody questions the MSM when its a story they want to hear. Like a story about a cop shooting an innocent person, people want to hear that so they will eat it up. But run a story that conflicts with the readers politics and its a different matter.

Cop shooting innocent person should be news. Or is this acceptable to you?

Or do you prefer the "They're preparing the police to enslave the populace and they're making you accustomed to the zombie apocalypse so that when the police come with their guns drawn and start shooting the civilians, you'll rally behind them in fear of the zombies." as per jones rhetoric?

It's a worry when people see stories about cops abusing their power and prefer to think it's a media beat up to hate on the poor law enforcement officers.

Face it, every news source is biased to their target audience. You have to draw the line at irresponsible or intentionally erroneous FEAR mongering or you may as well forget about having any standards at all to remain above the cut.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

For those among you who are toying with characterizing this as some kind of "silencing" of people... please... think again.

This is not a matter of forbidding anything... nothing has been "banned" ... it is a matter of recognizing the fundamental reality that such sites as the above-mentioned are, in fact, nothing more than blogs disguised as purely informative sources of news.

I think it is essentially inappropriate to use a blog as a source, or even the centerpiece of a thread (which is ostensibly original thought) ... but certainly a blog can be addressed, or discussed... so long as it is not a "make-believe" source masquerading as vetted journalism (if such things "journalism" really exist anymore.)

That site addresses the need for some people who feel "communicating" just as "the news" does makes what they say as "factual" as "the news" is.... (ironically, it often is.
)

Most here know better than to rely on "selected news" re-reporting as beyond scrutiny. Sadly this method of 'reporting' has found it way around... this topic will surface again, regarding a different subject, I would wager...

Corroboration, corroboration, collation, and analysis... that's the ATS way...

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
i feel like this guy read my post in that thread with bfin as a source

it was beginning to get bad. almost like, the admin of that site paid people to post these threads on al the sites he gets the most traffic from.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I come to ATS first too sometimes, depending on what's happening in the world.
But that's because ATS has turned into a news aggregator site, albeit user generated.
Quite sad, really.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I most sincerely agree, this in no way prevents a story from being presented if
it is based in facts. Most of the BIN stories have an original source, the link is
usually found right at the top, or the bottom.

News, if it is real and reliable can usually be found by searching with the title,
and or key words or a key sentence. If one takes the two minutes to search,
and finds that the story leads only to an unsupported blog, or Sorcha then
its not real news, its likely little bits of truth patched together to make a sensational
story.

edit on 3-7-2013 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'm glad, rather surprised NN hasn't made the cut yet. Anytime the two are listed as the only source, I make a point of tracking down who they originally sourced, and posting relevant info from the actual original. (Usually they vary drastically).

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join