It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One dies, three other Louisianans sickened after swimming in Gulf

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

I find your defense of BP and condemnation of the fertilizer plants/runoff very interesting.

I wonder who you work for...

I used to love to fish for spec's and reds in the GOM. My tourist dollars will be spent somewhere else however.

I just don't believe the propaganda about safe seafood and clean beaches.

saveourgulf.org...
edit on 4-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Yes the river is very unclean. Here we actually call it black river and you will see creeks named black creek just because they are dirty. Certainly not every one but a lot. Us Mississippians love our wild life so it's sad to see fish dying in these creeks and rivers. I remember about a year ago my family went camping at a place called flint creek in ms. There were literally hundreds of dead fish just floating. My favorite thing is fishing so we was very upset.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Flesh eating bacteria?My God they've killed the gulf.Dollar over death has destroyed the region.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I grew up in St.Louis Mo.and I've known people who ended up in the Mississippi river,when pulled out they were taken to a hospital and given antibiotics straight off due to the river being so bad.You being all the way down there...I feel for you.Yet you can't seem to get anyone to take cleaning up our waterways seriously.They just keep changing laws and calling it something other than what it is and saying 'as long as its only so and so parts per billion its all good'! Yeah,right.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
CajunBoy is no shill.

2013 Dead Zone in Gulf of Mexico may be Largest Ever

This is the likely cause of what the OP is referring to.

Yes the BP Deepwater Disaster and subsequent "cleanup" have done a tremendous amount of damage to the GOM, but they are only tangentially involved in this particular instance.

I live on the gulf, albeit in Galveston TX rather than Louisiana. My area is still affected by the expanded dead zone so these sorts of things could happen far from their original source.

The following has more to do with the oil spill and cleanup efforts:

2010-2013 Cetacean Unusual Mortality Event in Northern Gulf of Mexico

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I work for no one. I have in no way defended BP at all, stating that I still eat the seafood with no adverse effects defends BP's use of corexit. I eat seafood because it is a staple of food culture down here. If I die at least I died eating something I love.

If you care to know my current occupation I am a Dominos delivery driver going to school for production technologies. Yes, I do want an occupation in the oil industry because that is our economy down here in South East Louisiana and this is where I want to stay, but in no way do I support some actions taken by the oil companies. My goal is to actually do something good and change a few things when working in the industry, I simply want to better it and that is all. I wanted to see massive amounts of Dawn soap dropped into the Gulf before Corexit.

I am honestly tired of people who condemn those who do not have the same viewpoints as others with simple things like "Oh you must work for the corporation." No, I was raised differently than you were and of course we will have different view points. That is the problem with this country today, we can't find common ground because of silly antics like this.

Now back to more pressing maters, I believe we can clean the Mississippi but at the same time have it serve it's function. Pollution in the river has been at sky rocketing levels and does not seem to stop and a lot has to do with agriculture more than the chemicals plants that line the river.
edit on 4-7-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy

I am honestly tired of people who condemn those who do not have the same viewpoints as others with simple things like "Oh you must work for the corporation." No, I was raised differently than you were and of course we will have different view points. That is the problem with this country today, we can't find common ground because of silly antics like this.

Easy there amigo. It was just a question and not meant as an insult or a condemnation.
Good luck with your chosen path.

The problem with this country however is that peoples health is secondary to corporate profits. BP amply demonstrated this with their disregard of the people of the Gulf coast and their livelyhood.
www.salon.com...

www.foxnews.com...

edit on 4-7-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I believe we can clean the Mississippi but at the same time have it serve it's function. Pollution in the river has been at sky rocketing levels and does not seem to stop and a lot has to do with agriculture more than the chemicals plants that line the river.

That would not surprise me at all. I live farther up the Mississippi and I can tell you the farms around here use the "soak it in chemicals" approach to farming.
We have had really wet weather this year that delayed planting by a good month if not month and a half. Our neighbor's fields were green with weeds. When they got a window of a few days they came out with trucks and sprayed all the fields down. Two days later everything green was dead. I can't help, but wonder how they can then turn around and plant seeds in that soil.... but I suspect it's GMO corn and therefore would be tolerant of the chemicals.

Our neighbor has the fields sprayed frequently, some weedkiller, some fertilizer. The neighbor who owned the property before the current one actually farmed smarter. He rotated the fields from soybean to corn and back again (cutting down on the need for fertilizer). The current one has just done straight corn for the last 6 or 7 years. No crop rotation and certainly no resting of the fields. If people farmed more naturally they could cut down on chemical use (which just leaks into the ground water and streams). I hate to say this to you since your life revolves around the bayou and the gulf, but honestly I never have really given any thought to the chemicals pouring downstream. I have always feared contact with our local lake because it is constantly red flagged for agricultural chemical contamination and nasty bacteria levels.... it just never crossed my mind to wonder about what was happening further south. You bring up a really good point since as the water travels downstream it collects more and more pollutants.

Thanks for bringing this to mine (and others') attention. I wish I had a solution or two to offer you, but I can't think of anything that would realistically work.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

My apologies, I have been seeing a lot of it lately because of our Bayou Corne Sinkhole problem. I am getting a little defensive... my appologies again.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by Philippines

I believe this has something to do with obozo's want to make the gulf of mexico into a huge algae pit to "offset carbon taxes" for his ignorant global warming hoax.

The whole idea that global warming is a hoax was started and funded and kept up by the lying oil (BP) and tobacco companies. The science is well settled that global warming is a real, man-made event. I make no apologies for Obama, but he is not the one being ignorant, here.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Haha, it always tickles me seeing people claim "I eat the shrimp/seafood, and it's GREAT!/FINE!" Haha, as if they would know. They can't tell whether they are eating pure clean meat or an amalgam of toxic carcinogens. It makes me imagine a bunch of people living south if a leaking reactor and saying "I've been breathing this air for a year, and it smells just fine!" It took over a decade of above ground testing in Nevada before the nearby towns finally showed skyrocketing levels of children with brain rumors for the truth about that to come to light, all as the government was telling them how safe it was.

You guys (and sadly, my family and friends) will just keep eating the shrimp and catfish until your children start having cancer and deformities, and then you will act outraged, as if no one ever warned you, or you couldn't have made an educated guess about how this will pan out. And when you are lying in your beds, maybe a decade from now, dying from osteosarcoma or some other rare cancer that only shows up rarely in other places but is common here in the cancer Capitol of the nation, maybe then you will repent telling those you love how life is fine Down here, the seafood is safe, and tons of oil and chemicals dumped into our food source really can magically disappear to neverland, and are nothing to worry about.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

What doesn't give you cancer now a days... That is the way I look at it now.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Your right however cigarettes are one of the main cause and that's why I'm trying to give them up. That's beside the point though. I love my country and I love my beautiful state of Mississippi. And I'm sure you love your pelican and bayou state. That's why our waterways should be cleaned up. But it's not happening now. Sad day

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pexx421

Like I've seen other people say "man that gmo food is everywhere". Down here in the deep we probably can't go a few days without at least having the opportunity to eat some good ole cat fish and shrimp and sometimes nice alligator or frog legs. But hey I would take that anyday over what ever gmo food is. I don't believe the problems in the gulf is affecting our diet too much.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

reply to post by HUMBLEONE

I've yet to experience any negative effect of eating seafood. I've am actually eating shrimp this 4th of July.

Dear Cajunboy, I am so glad to here it. BUT.. the key word in your commentary is YET. None for me thank you very much. I do hope and pray that you and yours remain safe and healthy..no thanks to those evil bastards at the Petro-politico-industrial complex. PEACE.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join