It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. rejects call to stop force-feedings at Guantanamo for Ramadan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well this is just odd?

Now, contrary to the beliefs of some, the Government (especially since Obama) has worked tirelessly to turn Gitmo into a showcase and showplace for the IRC (Red Cross) and International Media. An American Potemkin Village. we'll just leave out of the discussion the number of CIA run "Black Sites" that are "neither confirmed nor denied" for their very existence. That, not this are the facilities where what people imagine happening, actually DOES happen. Gitmo? It's Camp Snoopy by comparison and that $750,000 Soccer field last year screams it. So....Why??

The U.S. government on Wednesday refused to stop force-feeding prisoners at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, during Ramadan.

In court papers rejecting a petition by detainees, the United States said the feedings provide "essential nutrition and medical care" and do not interfere with the detainees' religious fasting during Ramadan, the holy month that begins on the evening of July 8.

The tube-feedings will take place in the early morning and late evening to help detainees comply with Ramadan restrictions, said Navy Capt. Robert Durand, spokesman for the detention facility.
Source

This isn't a SMALL thing. It's a BIG BIG thing.

This is why....

One of the five pillars of faith for Muslims, Ramadan is the the ninth month of the lunar calendar and the holiest period of the Islamic year. It's thought to be the month that the Koran was first revealed by God to the Prophet Muhammad in the year A.D. 610.

and some specifics.....

The rules of Ramadan are fairly straightforward: for one month, all practicing, able-bodied Muslims over the age of 12 are forbidden to eat or drink from sunup to sundown. Muslims believe that during this month the gates of hell close — meaning the devil is unable to tempt them during a month of discipline, charity and self-control. The objective of the fast, which also prohibits participating in "sensual pleasures" such as smoking, sex and even listening to music during daylight hours, is to diminish believers' dependence on material goods, purify their hearts and establish solidarity with the poor to encourage charitable works during the year. It's as much a period of self-growth as of self-denial: Muhammad reportedly said, "He who does not abandon falsehood in word and action in accordance with fasting, God has no need that he should abandon his food and drink."
Source

My concern isn't for the Prisoners, per say. These are the very last 166 of all who have come and no amount of review process or attempts to find their 'better side' have worked to release them in furtherance of closing the place. These are the worst of the worst who remain at this point.

Still... If they want to hunger strike? By all means...WHY are we force feeding them to counter their desires to do what should probably have happened on the battlefield in the first place?

MORE importantly, WHY force feed them during the Religious time of fasting and purity? Is Obama suddenly TRYING to infuriate the masses of Muslims by directly dumping on one of their core tenets (5 Pillars) of Faith? It would seem so...or he is just that far removed and out of touch with the happenings of his own command, as CnC of the U.S. Armed Forces?

Either way, this kind of thing can't end well or bode well for our guys elsewhere. It's not just wrong on medical grounds, in my view (if they want to starve... HELP them..don't stop them!) it's absolutely and 100% against EVERYTHING we have in this Nation and in our founding papers for respect of Religion. That doesn't stop in Prison ....as a Quran burning in Afghanistan reminded the whole planet. Oh... Obama was pissed off beyond words over THAT one ....but force feeding Muslims on Ramadan? No biggy it seems......force away!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I say force feed them during Ramadan.

Then tell them they are going to hell because of it.

lastly..... laugh at their faces.

Everyone deserves as much time as you can give them to realize that their religion is a disease.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The tube-feedings will take place in the early morning and late evening

forbidden to eat or drink from sunup to sundown.

Is Obama suddenly TRYING to infuriate the masses of Muslims by directly dumping on one of their core tenets (5 Pillars) of Faith?

It may be argued that force feeding is against many principles and ideas, but specifically, what they're doing doesnt violate the "sunup to sundown" part.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Thanks.. I'm sure there is another Anti-Religion thread here somewhere... They run several a day here recently. Run along now and find one, will you?

This wasn't written to invite general religion bashing. Quite the opposite ......although that's being forced into damn near every thread on ATS with even a crack of an opening to be somewhere "in-topic". In fact, I learned a new word for what you're doing today. Anti-Theist. Indeed... I knew I wouldn't have to wait long at all to use that new word of the day. Amazing how quickly someone popped up to fill the definition of it.

Now then...What I did write the thread about was the crapping across the Muslim religion...not all religion now (
) just that one religion ....but doing this to what are probably the least sympathetic people on Earth to do it to. Though, as we've seen......starting with the lowest never ends there ...and so crapping on ONE religion will eventually lead to a dump on them all in various forms that fit for each.

This is just a bit surprising still though........since this Administration has literally destroyed U.S. Soldiers for merely offending a Muslim in a combat zone ...yet will violate a core Pillar of Islam like it's nothing special.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

If they have someone there to define Sunup and Sundown by Islamic law? I'll agree....and I figure the odds of that are about 0.

That level of watching is what the Muslim community will certainly demand ..and no amount of preaching or insisting from any American, anywhere, will convince others that it WAS followed in good spirit and a sense of requirements.

After all...How many believed the burning of the Qurans in Afghanistan wasn't done with Malice? It wasn't, but no one believed it..and most still don't. People are going to believe they rigidly adhered to the schedule? lol... I won't even buy it...how would others looking for disbelieve it, do so?

Appearance of impropriety...at one time in this world...MEANT something. Now? Appearance of outright law breaking isn't supposed to matter ..as long as somewhere...deep deep in the technical details..A lawyer can prove it didn't ACTUALLY happen. :shk:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

No religion deserves respect.

Im glad to see their irrational beliefs being trampled. I hope the world does what ever it can to keep people alive as long as possible so they can eventually advance beyond superstitious nonsense.

These people want to die. I would never LET them. If I could I would bring them back to life.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm sorry if someone is starving themselves they have no one to blame but themselves.

Most of the people aren't even from Afghanistan at Gitmo they are from other countries, if memory serves they are mostly from Yemen.

edit on 3-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

No religion deserves respect.

Quite frankly, with that level of hate and intolerance to the majority of the population in this world? Neither do those who profess such small minded approaches to life around us. Point Blank and I can't say it simpler.

It's a shame some wear hate and ignorance like a badge of honor. It doesn't look good. In fact, it looks pretty silly to all but those professing it.

That kind of attitude is precisely what's causing the issue at Gitmo ...an issue that shouldn't exist. Shouldn't be happening and should definitely not be drawing world headlines. If they want a hunger strike? Fine.... Put a table of their favorite food in the hall so they can see and smell it...then let them starve if that is still their choice.

However.... There are over a Billion Muslims who won't likely find this timing for force feeding cute or funny in this world. (I'll bet the prisoners knew VERY well what the timing was, too)

I thought we were trying NOT to make it a war with Islam. This doesn't change that by itself ...but it's a BIG step in precisely the wrong direction.

@ Neo

You're right. It's an international mix down there at this point and a % are there because even their home nations will absolutely NOT take them back at this point.

All the more reason not to force feed them..and especially through a Religious period strictly forbidding it.

edit on 3-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Wow, that is a disgusting level of hate and intolerance you have there.

Did some religious kids steal your lunch money?

Sad.

top topics

join