It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Egypt's generals oust Morsy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
CNN

Cairo (CNN) - Egypt's military deposed the country's first democratically elected president Wednesday night, installing the head of the country's highest court as an interim leader, the country's top general announced.

Whoa... I didn't think this was actually gonna happen! The military agreed to no coups but did give Morsi the ultimatum to which he rejected. What's to come next? Will the Muslim Brotherhood & their Islamist friends cause a reign of terror? Will early elections be announced soon? How will the US take to this?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Wow that was fast. Lets wait to see if Morsi aggrees to this and what he has to say first. I can see terrorism picking up there very soon.

"Today, only one thing matters. In this day and age, no military coup can succeed in the face of sizable popular force without considerable bloodshed," wrote El Haddad, who works in the office of the assistant to the president on foreign relations. "Who among you is ready to shoulder that blame?"

There's the threats.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
And they didn't need American or British assistance ?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I don't think Morsi is being given a choice anymore. His Jihadi buddies can try and cause trouble...but the Egyptian Military is 400,000+ strong. They don't even need to bother with the East side of the Suez. If push comes to shove, Israel would terminate that problem with glee and joy before wishing Cairo good luck on the new leadership and going home. If they didn't, the Multi-National forces lead by U.S. Military in the Sinai would.

I'd say Morsi better focus on surviving ...literally just staying alive. Former leaders in that part of the world don't usually have long lives in retirement when being removed. Sometimes...hours is too much to ask for.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Nah, not when their own miltary told Morsi to leave & when he said he wouldn't leave the military just made him leave

With as much foreign aid as they receive from the US you could say technically they helped

edit on 3-7-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I expect the Muslim brotherhood will carry out attacks over the next few weeks and months, but will do very little right now.

I could be wrong but they are outnumbered right now.

Peace

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
And they didn't need American or British assistance ?

'Genuine' people power never needs anything but its own impetus...no foreign imposed no-fly zones, no sanctions, no arms shipments to terrorists, no US or UK bombing infrastructure, no nothing..if the people want it, they'll get it themselves.

There's a lesson in this for everyone i think.

edit on 3-7-2013 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Any word from the Obama administration or Kerry?

Looks like the Brotherhood collapsed under it's own weight of corruption.

Haw-haw

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

As our friend Mr. Wrabbit points out, the miltary is on high alert & ready to quell any terrorists but that being said acts of terror have already been committed by both Pro & Anti Morsi protesters but since the Pro Morsi people are such a minority the Egyptian military made the right call & backed the millions of Anti Morsi protesters, cuz they do not want millions of people who are already in the street to turn their protests into protest-riots.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As far as I can tell this is all just breaking but rest assured we will be hearing from DC. Well, unless they plan on ignoring this whole event, which wouldn't surprise me because the last thing they want is angry Americans to be encouraged

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Any word from the Obama administration or Kerry?

Nope, they are still looking for a way to work this in their favor.

IMO, aid continues and administration tells military to call for new elections soon.

Peace

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It's better than these people live under dictatorship, It's exactly what they want and what they should get. They were calling for democracy for 40 years, they got it and now they destroyed it. It disgusts me to the gut to see Morsi leave his post. No doubt that there is foreign interest involved, especially Mubaraks old buddies.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
it speaks well of the mb that they didn't resort to massive violence in response to the protests.
to be honest, i expected and read differently, and was pleasantly surprised to see they didn't
make this into a personal insult against their beliefs. when you have that many people of different
cultures and faiths in one place, asking them to embrace your faith exclusively and abide by laws
your faith insinuates, exclusively, is not sensible, fair or rational. (and it certainly isn't democratic)

edit on 3-7-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

Says the guy who created at least two threads trying to convince ATS the millions of protesters were Pro Morsi

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misbah
It's better than these people live under dictatorship, It's exactly what they want and what they should get. They were calling for democracy for 40 years, they got it and now they destroyed it. It disgusts me to the gut to see Morsi leave his post. No doubt that there is foreign interest involved, especially Mubaraks old buddies.

this is the problem. the people that sold you the bill of goods that a democracy is meant to uphold the needs of the many and neglect the needs of the few, were lying to you. democracy upholds the needs of everyone, not just the many and not just the few. it has to be secular to work, however, and islam doesn't understand that, as they believe in theocracies. you can't have a true democratic society if it's a theocracy.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Misbah

The foreign interests are what GOT Morsi into office and he's hardly a "man of the people".

Morsi Biography

He's been as much American related for where he's lived, what he's done for a living and where his focuses have been than Egyptian ..when he wasn't home being arrested for being a troublemaker by the past regime. He also joined the Muslim Brotherhood in the late 70's. Now some see that as a benign group, I know. I see them as equal to or more dangerous than Al Qaeda...if not just the inspiration that helped form AQ later. (That might have been hard to believe...with the US supporting the Muslim Brotherhood ..but now we're OPENLY supporting Al Qaeda in Syria ..so it ought to be easier to see now, IMO)

One down and a few to go to remove the stain outside powers splashed across the region by the "Arab Spring". Poor people living there thought that would bring Freedom ..when it only brought more anguish and unrest than they'd ever seen before in their lives. Maybe this starts more peaceful transition for Egypt.

I'll be happy to see Morsi tried for his actions and follow Saddam to the great throne in the sky.

@ Swills

OH YEAH... This is the same member who was trying to babble to everyone about how the streets were ACTUALLY full of PRO-Morsi people earlier, huh? Well...... When some people are wrong, they really make up for any past times of being right eh? Talk about calling this one 110% wrong from the word Go.

edit on 3-7-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Looks like the military made good on their threat to resolve the issue in 48hrs or step down. Now lets see how they handle the power vacuum. I am thinking they will stick a temporary person in power and hold elections again, but something is telling me it won't be an easy transition.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That was quick. I'm sort of impressed how quick the Egyptians are.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is the biggest thing that irks me about the topic,

Miltary coups are bad, but they are totally acceptable elsewhere.

So why are the not 'acceptable' here in the west?

Like it or not Morsi was 'democratically' elected should have never been but hey 'mob rule', and all that jazz.

Guess 'democracy' is just lip service when 'elected leaders' do things people don't like.
edit on 3-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
This is the biggest thing that irks me about the topic,

Miltary coups are bad, but they are totally acceptable elsewhere.

So why are the not 'acceptable' here in the west?

Like it or not Morsi was 'democratically' elected should have never been but hey 'mob rule', and all that jazz.

Guess 'democracy' is just lip service when 'elected leaders' do things people don't like.
edit on 3-7-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

but once he was democratically elected, he started ignoring democracy in favor of theocracy because he assumed that since most were islamic, everyone would embrace the idea. that's why obama mentioned democracy was about more than elections. it's hard to explain this to someone who thinks democracy is mob rule. the american variety certainly isn't. we have laws to protect muslims, buddhists, christians, atheists, agnostics, and etc. and this is only possible if the government is secular.

you can't demand for yourself, what you wouldn't be willing to give to others you may disagree with. you have to start somewhere and the best somewhere to start is with the idea that each human being has natural rights, imparted to them at birth by their creator (whoever that might be) and those rights cannot and should not be glossed over or shunted aside because of a difference of opinion. free speech, free press, and other such ideals are not just romantic notions to dream may come true some day. you first have to allow your fellows the freedom to enjoy them if you want to claim them also for yourself.

that's true democracy, or rather, a true republic with democratic ideals.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join