It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turns Out Atheists Are Just Like Everybody Else -- Isn't That Weird?!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau
I wonder what do atheists scream out when they climax?

"Higgs Boson!" Is my go-to when it's good.

But usually it's "Awww, that was cute. You'd better be buying me breakfast."

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Not only do I see religion as a wholly destructive force, I can't understand how billions of others CAN'T see it.

That said, there have been many times in my life where I've been stricken with awe over something that's occurred. My very human mind quickly went into magic mode and I thought to myself, "Surely there must be a god behind this!" The difference between me and a believer is that I can take a step back and rationalize these occurrences before I get swept up and away by them.

Point being, we are all susceptible to awe.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by Superhans

Thank you!

I'm a Christian, but you and I would get along smashingly. I don't push my beliefs on anyone and expect the same in return. I hate militant idiots on both sides of the fence, those who just cannot live and let live until you live exactly like they live.

I worked in a lab with nothing but a die hard christian, a jehova's witness and myself. We all go along fine, we laughed and made fun of eachother. I think some people just get this weird idea that they just HAVE to hate someone in order to be happy.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
This maybe shocks people ... but I find a lot of times people talking to me in reality are surprised that I'm an Atheist.Had one person say to me last year, 'how come you're not Christian? You're so kind!' Then they wanted to give me religious books

That kind of thing used to offend me (still irks me if its just conversion without conversation) but I take it as a compliment now. I have a couple of Qu'rans too that I've picked up in similar situations.

I find even fairly strong believers are mostly nice people once you get to know them. Disturbs me that people don't seem to know what the term 'Atheist' actually means.

And to rabbit: I've totally used the term anti-theist around you before am sure. >.<
edit on 4-7-2013 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Hey look on here with the ability to remain anonymous I am sometimes a anti theist however I go to church clap my hands and keep my mouth shut about the things I think. Mostly for my wife however I do like the sense of community and feel it is ashamed that you have to SEEM to believe in imaginary things to have that

I just can't do it. Pretending that it's not ridiculous...to me...pretend, shut up, for someone else's sake. I just can't. Let me admit something...since you mentioned it...I could never marry a devout religious person. I would let that person do whatever he wants to do...but secretly...I actually would think you are stupid or mentally challenged somehow...and that would defo be enough grounds for immediate dismissal.

I know...I'm not open minded....well...I am...if you agree with me

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by MarioOnTheFly

You would assume even if you marry a religious person, they would at least try to adjust their lifestyle according to you as well.

Like find middle ground... but i know what your are saying... when i looking at hardcore(even if not militant) religious people, they strike me as someone without their own free will(the irony i know lol).

But i have never met a crazy religious person, unless you count the ones in downtown screaming apocalypse.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

You would assume even if you marry a religious person, they would at least try to adjust their lifestyle according to you as well.

I don't want it either...if you change your world views so as to not get in to conflict with that person...what does that make you than...and what does that say about your "former belief" ?

Either we click from the get go...or we don't. I live by "live and let live"...but also like to chose who I live next to...or with.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
As knowledge increases the belief in superstition declines. This is an undeniable trend. Science gives people the tools to doubt religious claims.

Atheism in its current form hasn't been around very long, because even in this age people are still being murdered for apostasy. Fear is the only tool religion has ever had.

Those who support and nurture such delusions will not be judged kindly by history.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
But why I have run into more boisterous egotistical Atheist then I have radical religious extremists?

Or are they just more vocal about it?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Maybe you say stupid things....

And the religious people just aren't smart enough to know it.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

It's weird how people see other people who are different then themselves. As an atheist I wouldn't doubt a lot of people take atheism out of context and will claim we're evil for whatever reason. It's how different people paint atheist. After a mass shooting (Columbine) they will point out the shooters were atheist and for some reason claim the shooting happened because "God was taken out of the schools."

To be it's crazy how they never fact check and paint atheism in this evil image. Even though it's just a disbelief in the concept of God. I have met religious people who respected my atheist views, just as I have respect their views. But I can understand how many are losing interest in religion will believe God is losing in America.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

Nah I doubt it, I don't tend to do that.

Maybe I just run into more Anti-theists then the average.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
A new study by the University Of Tennessee at Chattanooga revealed the following:

“Congratulations, non-believers,” said Coleman in an interview with Raw Story, “you’re essentially normal,”

They actually had a study for this?
Pretty silly.
We knew that already.

Can I get an Amen?

edit on 5-7-2013 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

It's your age group I'm sure. The younger they get, the less religious they are, becuase the younger they get, the higher their education standards were and the higher their exposure to the internet is.

I can't think of any other group concerning religion that I genuinely enjoy having deep discussions with than Atheists/Agnostics/Anti-theists. Probably because I've actually read the Bible cover-to-cover twice and various other scriptures and recognize that it's all a ridiculous, counterintuitive collection of garbage which can't possibly be seen by an intellectual as anything other than a pieces of literature.
edit on 5-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightOrange

Originally posted by abeverage

It's your age group I'm sure. The younger they get, the less religious they are, becuase the younger they get, the higher their education standards were and the higher their exposure to the internet is.

I can't think of any other group concerning religion that I genuinely enjoy having deep discussions with than Atheists/Agnostics/Anti-theists. Probably because I've actually read the Bible cover-to-cover twice and various other scriptures and recognize that it's all a ridiculous, counterintuitive collection of garbage which can't possibly be seen by an intellectual as anything other than a pieces of literature.
edit on 5-7-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

Actually I grew up with an Atheist Parental figure. I might write about in a thread because I have unique perspective on it.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This is actually really interesting, because in my experience I've found that those who proudly proclaim their racist have a smugness to them; especially when in the presence of those who have strong beliefs. I am glad this thread was created, certainly an interesting read.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Believing in science, or religion is synonymous with saying 'I don't know but THEY have an idea and I believe that idea is true'. They are ALL just ideas and theories, and no matter what you believe in, you're still just a believer. The problem is that neither side admits they KNOW nothing about the origin of Life and how it was created.

Until science or religion goes beyond theories, ideas and belief structures, they're one in the same. Doesn't matter which Idea or theory you believe in. Nobody knows ANYTHING yet about the creative forces of this Universe outside of theories and ideas.

Religion admits it's a belief system, but it pushes its beliefs as Truth. The scientific community admits it's all theory but pushes their ideas, theories and 'work in progress knowledge' as TRUTH. And because of that, both are equally dangerous and misleading.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join