It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passenger jet making emergency landing at RDU

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
hi

link
A passenger jet is making an emergency landing at RDU airport

This is just breaking so not much info but the pilots smell smoke in the cockpit hopefully it lands ok
edit on 3-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

eta
RT @DerekRowles: #BreakingNews -- The plane is ON THE GROUND.. landed safely at #RDU .. working on more details

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

It just came across my flightradar app. I just glanced at it, but I believe it was a United Boeing 737-900.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

A couple of tweets here

RT @DerekRowles: #BreakingNews -- Authorities responding to reported "Aircraft Emergency" at @RDUAirport .. the 2nd of the day.. #ABC11

RT @DerekRowles: #BreakingNews -- RDU confirms a regional jet has an odor of smoke in the cabin.. 8 miles out.. on approach to airport #ABC

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
From the OP's source:

It was the second emergency landing at RDU Wednesday. Earlier in the day, a smaller corporate jet made an emergency landing when it lost power in an engine.

Hey Zaph, how common are emergency landings?
edit on 3-7-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Not really a regional jet, as the 737NG (all the newer models pretty much fall under the Next Generation label) have a pretty decent range to them. The -700 can go almost 3500 miles, and the -900 can go almost 6000 depending on configuration. The 737 is the most popular commercial aircraft ever built, with something like 7600 having been delivered, and another couple thousand on order, between the NG and the MAX that is under development.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
From the OP's source:

It was the second emergency landing at RDU Wednesday. Earlier in the day, a smaller corporate jet made an emergency landing when it lost power in an engine.

Hey Zaph, how common are emergency landings?
edit on 3-7-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

I guess it landed safely, because that part was not on there when I first read the link lol

good news

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

I usually get one or two a day across the Flightradar24 app I have on my phone. We're starting to see flight tracking for military flights now as well, so I've seen a few for them too. Considering how many planes are in the air at any given time (up to 5,000 a minute in the US alone), they're not very common.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

So to have been two emergency landings at the same airport on the same day would be rare?

Correct?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

For an airport this size, I'd say uncommon, not necessarily rare. If we were talking somewhere like Hartsfield-Jackson, or O'Hare, I'd say oh dear god no. But this airport isn't nearly that size, so it's not that common. Not unheard of, but not common.

new topics

top topics

join