It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Jason Everman was kicked out of not one, but two, of the biggest bands of the 1990s, decided that he needed a change of life and enrolled in the US Army, to become a highly decorated Ranger.

He grew up in the Seattle area, and was, for a time, the second guitarist in Nirvana -- he toured with them, but never played on an album, although he personally helped to finance Bleach. Halfway through the first tour, Kurt Cobain and Krist Novoselic decided that things weren't working out, cancelled the tour, and booted Everman from the band.

By the time they made it to New York, “the fun stopped,” Novoselic remembered. “The fun stopped fast.” Channing was confused by it, too, and he was one of Everman’s oldest friends. “He doesn’t talk freely when things are bothering him,” Channing said. It just seemed as if he didn’t want to be there. Cobain and Novoselic wanted Everman out but didn’t know how to do it. That’s the inherent contradiction of punk-rock rules: you were supposed to hate careerism yet still have a career. And 20-year-old kids aren’t particularly good at sorting that out.

Everman rebounded by being selected as the bassist for Soundgarden, after theirs left when they "hit it big" and signed a record deal. Once again, he went out on tour, and once again, when the tour was over, Everman was shown the door.

When Soundgarden returned home, they called a band meeting. Jason showed up on Cameron’s porch thinking it was about the next record. Thayil told me, “I thought I would be diplomatic . . . and wasn’t getting to the point.” He said Chris Cornell, Soundgarden’s singer, finally cut to the chase: It wasn’t working out, Cornell said. Thayil remembers thinking: We’re not behaving like a band. I’m not happy. No one here is happy. No one’s talking to each other. Just like that, Everman was fired again.

I don’t know how he got through the next year. Everman’s friend from home, Ben Shepherd, replaced him in Soundgarden. Their next album went double platinum. Of course, Nirvana — after replacing Jason’s friend Chad Channing on drums with Dave Grohl — became the biggest band in the world. That record he never got paid back for, “Bleach,” eventually sold 2.1 million copies. “Nevermind” sold nearly 30 million copies worldwide and changed the course of rock. Everman, meanwhile, was left behind with no idea what to do next.

He moved to New York, tried to get into music again, but on an impulse, visited an Army recruiter, decided that he needed to meet that challenge, despite his failures, enlisted, made it through the grueling special forces training and numerous tours of duty in Latin America, Iraq and Afghanistan.

In Everman’s cabin, I saw medal after medal, including the coveted Combat Infantryman Badge. “Sounds kind of Boy Scouty,” he said. “But it’s actually something cool.” I saw photos of Everman in fatigues on a warship (“an antipiracy operation in Asia”). A shot of Everman with Donald Rumsfeld. Another with Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal. And that’s when it hit me. Jason Everman had finally become a rock star.

A very interesting and compelling read as we approach Independence Day. Much thanks to that "rock star" Ranger Jason Everman, as well as all veterans and active duty service personnel.

The Rock ’n’ Roll Casualty Who Became a War Hero

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Nice thread, wasn't familiar with Jason Everman. Thanks for posting, I will now always think of this when hearing Nirvana and Soundgarden.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
yeah, gotta love those guys that go into latin american countries at the behest of global corps and bruttalize people into installing puppet dictators, or help certain 'selected' drug cartels weed out there competition..

much admiration there... sarcasm..

and being part of a WAR crime by invading countries not guilty of anything, and being a typical schoolyard bully (we have tanks, aircraft, drones etc) anyone "proud" of that, or think they are "tough/brave" because they served are actually COWARDS..

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I love your types ( Sarcasm) ,always coming in and trying to steal the posters thunder.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kreyvic
reply to post by HanzHenry

I love your types ( Sarcasm) ,always coming in and trying to steal the posters thunder.

If i steal thunder from people who admire defecation like this, good.

HONOR.. look it up, read it, let it sink in.

then ask yourself.. what at all is HONORABLE about anything this guy did throughout his career.

anyone with the SLIGHTEST integrity left the govt as soon as the word "homeland" (communist word for USSR to those awake in the 80's) started being bounced around..

top topics

join