It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I.E. and Mental Breakdowns! Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I recently added I.E. to my computer because of something I needed that it had. But it is such a pain! It is causing my computer to run slow, and at times, it just stops dead in it's tracks! Then I lose what I'm working on, and have to reboot and start over! Such a pain in the A**!

I have tried several times to delete I.E. off my computer, but it updates automatically and adds the program back on!

How do I get rid of this terrible leach without wiping off my hard drive? Is it even possible?

I'm at my witts end trying to get rid of this program!

I have Windows XP.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mindless1980

System recovery/restore...

Turn it back to before you installed the program

edit on 2-7-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There is no point to do that. I recently cleaned off my hard drive and loaded it as the browser at that time.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

still worth a try... it solves most problems aside from really bad viruses

Restore the system to the day you reinstalled windows... you should be fine

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

okay. Anything is worth a shot.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Windows 7: Click "control panel" then "programs" then "programs and features" then on the right "turn windows features on or off"

de-select IE and voila. No more IE.

Good luck, OP! Hope you have windows 7...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Mindless:

If you're using Firefox you can get User Agent Switcher (currently at version 0.7.3). It allows Firefox to pretend to be Internet Explorer. You can get it at the Firefox Add-ons site, here [Link].

I haven't used IE since, well, forever. I'll see if I can find some instructions for either removing or completely disabling it. Be back shortly....

Edit: Well, I see that Deemo Diablo beat me to it. I'll stall around and see if those instructions work for you....

edit on 7/2/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'm finding that removing IE is only possible with great knowledge and expertise and a lot of time on your hands. Not worth it, in other words.

One suggestion, though: If you always provide information on the OS you're using (for example, XP Pro with SP3, Vista Home Basic, Windows 7 Ultimate, etc.)--and, of course, in this case, the version of IE--it's very helpful to those trying to help.

At this point, I'm bailing....

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I think you have much more wrong with your computer than you think. I know its really cool and makes you sound like a guy that know his technology if you claim to hate IE but there is no way in hell that IE can be causing the problems you describe...

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
i think that i.e 8 is the latest version that works with XP, so if you are trying to use i.e. 9 or 10 it'll screw things up!

i.e. 7 usually works better than 8 for basic stuff.

i.e. can sometimes be 'removed' by... start menu > set program acsess and defaults > add or remove programs and if it is listed as a program, you can remove it and it will revert back to a previous version of i.e. 'cause windows does need a version of it installed for your computer to function.

if you can't remove it that way, there are programs available that will do it for you.
you might find them by googling.

either way... since you have XP and would be using and older version of i.e. niether of which are supported by microsoft any longer ... turn updates for them off, they would be totally useless for u.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
IE was written by microsoft to work with windows. Its might not be causing the probmes you describe.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I never found any issue or need to remove IE. I just select GOOGLE, MSN, FIREFOX, MOZILLA whatever in my Internet Options as my choices for the internet access. IE just opens THOSE up.

IE and the capitol E icon...I just click it and it goes to say...GOOGLE CHROME, FIREFOX...or whatever Ive chosen to open as my browser.

So I dont understand your problem at all. Its just the doorway to any of the choices we all can make...unless of course...youre using IE as the browser itself. You could have designated any of those to be opened by IE.

You knew this right?????

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Sorry I haven't responded until now.

My concern was when I read in this thread about I.E. 8:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I turned off the updates as one member suggested. I can't find any way to delete the program without wiping off my hard drive and reloading from scratch... again!
My restore points don't go back to when I did this the last time.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
I think you have much more wrong with your computer than you think. I know its really cool and makes you sound like a guy that know his technology if you claim to hate IE but there is no way in hell that IE can be causing the problems you describe...

Sir, if I knew my tech, I wouldn't need to come here asking questions.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
IE was written by microsoft to work with windows. Its might not be causing the probmes you describe.

Any idea what would be the culprit then? Could it be my virus protection program, or some other add on?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Mindless:

If you're using Firefox you can get User Agent Switcher (currently at version 0.7.3). It allows Firefox to pretend to be Internet Explorer. You can get it at the Firefox Add-ons site, here [Link].

I haven't used IE since, well, forever. I'll see if I can find some instructions for either removing or completely disabling it. Be back shortly....

Edit: Well, I see that Deemo Diablo beat me to it. I'll stall around and see if those instructions work for you....

edit on 7/2/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

Thanks! I may give this a shot!
In your second post you wanted more info. I have windows XP, I.E. 8. I also have Firefox loaded. That's all I know. Do you need more info?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deemo Diablo
Windows 7: Click "control panel" then "programs" then "programs and features" then on the right "turn windows features on or off"

de-select IE and voila. No more IE.

Good luck, OP! Hope you have windows 7...

Is this the same instructions for XP?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

edit on 4-7-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

to do the same in XP...
start menu > set program access and defaults > and then click custom (configuration)

you can specify another browser that you have installed as a default and 'turn off' i.e.

it might help, but i think all it does is remove the i.e. icon from the desktop.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tinhattribunal

Thanks everyone.

I think I have the problem solved, thanks to you all.

Much appreciated!

new topics

top topics

join