It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toxoplasma Gondii, parasite in your brain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'm no expert on RNA interference, but it would be amazing (and potentially frightening) to see it fully develop and be put to use on something like HIV. There's no end to what it could stop dead in its tracks by blocking protien replication/synthesis, but the potential is there to do the opposite and create even more virulent bugs. I always view stuff with genetics with hope, and with skepticism and fear at the same time. There's just so much we DON'T know.

Last I remember reading RNA interference was still being applied with Polio and one of the strains of HIV, and decaf coffee (sans chemicals) and it was still tough to get the dsRNA fragments to continually suppress gene expression.

Might make a good thread on it's own....

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The scariest thing to me, is the fact that one of the posters said that he was diagnosed with symtomatic toxoplasmosis, yet failed to get it treated or even have blood work done! Considering that symtomatic toxoplasmosis rarely manifests itself in healthy individuals, this person could be dealing with something far more serious than a lump in the neck. Unless they were pregnant or undergoing chemotherapy, there is a good chance that the person has advanced HIV disease(AIDS).
Doubtless, since this happened 6 years ago, the person would know by now whether they have HIV or not. What worried me is that they declined testing at the time of the toxoplasmosis diagnosis.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Some people would rather die than be touched with a needle, I guess.

I agree though - I'm surprised the doc let them go without all kinds of tests.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
Some people would rather die than be touched with a needle, I guess.

I agree though - I'm surprised the doc let them go without all kinds of tests.

Unfortunately, I think the fear of needles is just an excuse(or rationalization) for alot of people. In the case of HIV and other incurable diseases, many people would rather not know their status, even if they suspect it. Testing positive would force a person to deal with the problem, and alot of them dont want to do that.

[edit on 9-11-2004 by apw100]

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
only cats that eat raw meat can get toxo also it can get in thru the lungs when the liter is changed via the dust.

this toxo is only one of the many bizare things that imune supressed people have to worry about.

if toxo freaks you guys out do a search on the jc virus

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedBalloon
I'm no expert on RNA interference, but it would be amazing (and potentially frightening) to see it fully develop and be put to use on something like HIV. There's no end to what it could stop dead in its tracks by blocking protien replication/synthesis, but the potential is there to do the opposite and create even more virulent bugs.

Might make a good thread on it's own....

The stuff I've been reading on RNA interference is mainly about natural processes - ie., diseases that are described as "genetic" often are actually the result of diseases or chemicals interfering with RNA expression, silencing genes and so on. As distinct from teratogenic or genotoxic processes

...Researchers do try to duplicate these natural processes in the lab - which is where a lot of GM products come from...

a separate thread? ...there's a lot going on, and much research. My interest is primarily new disease mutations.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I appreciate the fact that everyone would like to scare the he** out of me by suggesting that I have advanved HIV/Aids.

Let me answer that by saying that I do not have this and this is a fact. Why? Let's just say that I am not the type to sleep around and I am not gay.

The diagnosis was not final, but merely a suggestion since they could not identify the mass. I have had no health problems since that surgery. In fact, I would say that I am in perfect health (although the cholesterol could be a bit lower). The last blood test I had was for life insurance. They test everything. I am fit as a fiddle.

I will chalk it up to just one of those goofy things that our bodies do. Don't get paranoid at my expense because I did not wish to have titers drawn.

This was my choice. And I'm sure we can all go on about an individual's right to chose, can't we.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by noctu
only cats that eat raw meat can get toxo also it can get in thru the lungs when the liter is changed via the dust.

Cats if all types can get Toxoplasmosis - not just ones that eat raw meat. You never know when you indoor can-fed kitty might chomp down on a mouse. Lots of ways they can contract it, and same for their owners.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
I appreciate the fact that everyone would like to scare the he** out of me by suggesting that I have advanved HIV/Aids.

Let me answer that by saying that I do not have this and this is a fact. Why? Let's just say that I am not the type to sleep around and I am not gay.

The diagnosis was not final, but merely a suggestion since they could not identify the mass. I have had no health problems since that surgery. In fact, I would say that I am in perfect health (although the cholesterol could be a bit lower). The last blood test I had was for life insurance. They test everything. I am fit as a fiddle.

I will chalk it up to just one of those goofy things that our bodies do. Don't get paranoid at my expense because I did not wish to have titers drawn.

This was my choice. And I'm sure we can all go on about an individual's right to chose, can't we.

the diagnoses wasnt final? they have tests to spot it and doubt a doctor would give an unfinal daignoses
if he suspected you had toxo then he would have tested you because it shows up in the blood.

and even if the doctor said he suspected it was toxo he would have recomended an hiv test as well as a toxo test so something doesnt fit here.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
nope never recommended an HIV test. Had lots of them while in the service. Nada. Actually, no reason really to have one done. I'm fairly prude and don't engage in casual sex, nor have I ever had a blood transfusion.

It was only suggested that I have the titers done because they wanted to find out if it was toxo. So what if I didn't have it done. I can tell you that if I had gotten sick after the surgery like I was before, that I would have had those drawn.

But, I healed up fine and am in perfect health. Really, I think everyone should just stop theorizing what I "might" have had.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
nope never recommended an HIV test. Had lots of them while in the service. Nada. Actually, no reason really to have one done. I'm fairly prude and don't engage in casual sex, nor have I ever had a blood transfusion.

It was only suggested that I have the titers done because they wanted to find out if it was toxo. So what if I didn't have it done. I can tell you that if I had gotten sick after the surgery like I was before, that I would have had those drawn.

But, I healed up fine and am in perfect health. Really, I think everyone should just stop theorizing what I "might" have had.

but you said,

Originally posted by Freenrgy2 I had a mass removed from my next about 6 years ago. The Initial diagnosis was thyroglossal-duct cyst. However, after removal, the pathologist was unable to determine exaclty what it was. The diagnosis was changed to "Toxoplasmosis".

I just find it hard to belive that they would diagnose it as toxo without doing a toxo test first your doctor must be incompetent.
you in the south by chance?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join