It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen in jail for months over 'sarcastic' Facebook threat.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
don't see why people are surprised.

its the US

kids do get shot up.

so if someone makes a threat like this it must be taken seriously.

the US is a violent dangerous country which has embraced the gun.

the guy needs to be taught a lesson.

a normal sane person would not make a violent sick threat like this.

more people like this need to be locked up.

nothing more than bullies.

I'm going to track down everybody on ATS and kill them, then skull **** all of you.
I'm a member of the Marlboro Baptist Church and I have gawd on my side.
j/k

If you don't see the sarcasm in that, and the ignorance within your post, my apologies to everyone.

This is "politically correct" gone wrong... WAY wrong.

*burp*

edit on 7/4/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

it is very wrong to make threats of violence against anyone.

you need to withdraw this threat urgently.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by kaylaluv

Either one of those is a VERY bad idea, for many reasons, this situation being just one of them.

Yes of course it was a bad idea, that's why I don't even have a Facebook account in the first place. But just because he wasn't careful enough doesn't make his punishment any more justified. You're basically saying "he's stupid so he deserves it". No he doesn't... he had every right to make that joke. He shouldn't have to be worried about who is listening... the problem here is that people are oversensitive idiots who can't take a joke. They are at fault, not him.

No, I don't think he deserves to be in jail. But I do agree with what the boy's father said - there should be an investigation. The boy should have been interviewed; his friends and parents should have been interviewed, his teachers, any co-workers. The authorities can't just ignore it. They wouldn't be doing their job of protecting the public if they did. The father agrees with this. I believe a thorough investigation into the matter would have quelled any fears that the boy might have actually been serious. I don't think jail time was necessary.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by Redarguo

People need to get over it, their fear that he might do something in the future isn't worth diddly squat, his freedom to speech trumps their irrational fears. If we arrested every person who made a dark joke we'd have more comedians in prison than weed smokers.

You misunderstand, im not claiming he would go on to do something or even that he is a threat. From the authorities perspective, if he did tho they would be to blame had they not taken a possible threat seriously. In light of past events in the US a zero tolerance policy is understandable.
edit on 4-7-2013 by Redarguo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

OMFG!!!!

Thought Crimes!!

Orwellian 1984!! Whats Next ! Dickien Minority Report! ?

WOW!!

The Time we Live IN !!

NSA is Big Brother !

and Speaking of a Video Game The Columbine High School massacre

Was Blamed on this GAme !!

DOOM
en.wikipedia.org...

The Columbine High School massacre (wiki DOOM )
doom.wikia.com...

More Less the Kid Was Referring about the Massacre

((((( the J/K ))))))

Jail for Months WOW

Taxpayers Paying the Bill for a Kid having a Kidding aside thought Crime...

Dream Police _ Cheap Trick

Whats Text Sex Crimes!! Talking about Sex on Facebook!!

Orwellian World!! in America !!

Hell this Planet Already has it !! it Called!!!

North Korea !! just about Word for Word !! of Orwell s Books ( 1984 )

George Orwell Was Right!!!! aka Mr Allan Bean ...

Thought Police
en.wikipedia.org...

Thoughtcrime
en.wikipedia.org...

Thank These ACTS!! to Make it Real !

Patriot Act ( America )
International Security Act of 1950 AKA as the McCarren Act( America )

Both Above are Idealistically from the Act Below !!

Enabling act of 1933 ( Nazi Germany )

'Thought Crimes,' HR 1955 Passed With 404 Votes
Submit, Ye Citizens, Silently to State Murder

by Jeff Knaebel
www.lewrockwell.com...

DIGG THIS INTRODUCTION The U.S. House of Representatives recently passed HR 1955, titled the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Prevention Act of 2007. It was passed with 404 votes in favor. A close reading within an historical context — keeping especially in mind the Patriot Act and the Military Commissions Act of 2006 and Presidential Executive Orders, pursuant to which the government has engaged in massive surveillance of its own citizens, as well as detentions, extraordinary renditions, assassinations, and torture — leads me to the following conclusions: This is a "Thought Crime" bill of the type so often discussed in an Orwellian context. It specifically targets the civilian population of the United States. It defines "Violent Radicalization" as promoting any belief system that the government considers to be extremist. "Homegrown Terrorism" and "Violent Radicalization" are defined as thought crimes. Since the bill does not provide a specific definition of extremist belief system, it will be whatever the government at any given time deems it to be.

SECTION 899B. FINDINGS. "(3) The Internet has aided in facilitating violent radicalization, ideologically based violence, and the homegrown terrorism process in the United States by providing access to broad and constant streams of terrorist-related propaganda to United States citizens."

I Guess we are All Terrorist

remember Kids the New word for Commie ( Cold War era ) is Terrorist !!!

Just Change the Word around from Communist to terrorist in this ACT

International Security Act of 1950 AKA as the McCarren Act
en.wikipedia.org...

www.princeton.edu...
The Internal Security Act (a.k.a the Subversive Activities Control Act, McCarran Act - after Pat McCarran - or ISA) of 1950

Truman called the bill "the greatest danger to freedom of speech, press, and assembly since the Alien and Sedition Laws of 1798."

and you See where the (( Patriot Act )) Derived From!
www.princeton.edu...

edit on 4-7-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I play a game called Americas Army. It is a FPS game against other humans. I often make threats against the other players. On the server I play on most frequently I am known for my incredibly creative ways to insult others. It is all in fun and everyone knows I am not going to kidnap their entire family and make them ride an escalator sitting down, naked......

This kid did not make a real threat he made a keyboard bravado comment. It was not to be taken even half seriously hence the JK LOL.

Things have gotten out of hand when a kid says something stupid (with no intent of harm) and he gets sentenced to months of being beaten and likely ass raped. All before trial. I am really upset about this particular case as the level of brutality he is being treated to far exceeds even a veiled threat, had he made one.

The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian law code, dating back to about 1772 BC. It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world. The sixth Babylonian king, Hammurabi, enacted the code, and partial copies exist on a human-sized stone stele and various clay tablets. The Code consists of 282 laws, with scaled punishments, adjusting "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" (lex talionis)[1] as graded depending on social status, of slave versus free man.[2]

Hammurabi's Code was deemed to brutal for the Modern World. So would someone please explain to me WTF happened that allows a kid that made a stupid comment to be treated far worse than any crime he did not yet commit?

One has to wonder who the real terrorists are...................

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join