It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia girl arrested for buying sparkling water

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hushabye

You left out the most important part of the article you cite:

"She was not arrested for possessing bottled water, but for running from police and striking two of them with a vehicle.”

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
These girls could have very well been carrying bottles of flammable, clear liquid. They were scared, so they must have been guilty of something. That alone, is sufficient reason to shoot and kill them. But did they? No, they graciously gave these girls the benefit of the doubt and, instead, tried to peacefully deal with them.

So these girls should have thanked the officers for cutting them slack. These guys work hard at protecting us from liquid carrying terrorists. My advice to everyone is respect, obey and submit to ANYONE who approaches you, because you never know when it's going to be an undercover Cop. Don't be like these dumb girls and defend yourself from physically aggressive strangers.

What's troubling to me though, is that they didn't shoot the girls when they attempted to start the engine. We've all seen how suicidal terrorists use car bombs. That's troubling indeed. But then again, they were not professionally trained police officers. Had it been a police officer, he would have gunned them down the moment they stepped out the store, with minimal fuss and paperwork.

The fact that it was water shouldn't change anything. In case you didn't know, you can make a bomb out of water. I see law abiding citizens do it all the time during summer time. But in the hands of the wrong person......bad news. Not only did these girls have water, they had containers that can be used to transport it. That's a portable bomb fellas.

edit on 3-7-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

The thread (and source) title is a little misleading and sensational to be honest.

From your source:

“Other agents did not join the incident until the subject refused to cooperate,” the ABC said in a statement published by USA TODAY. “Rather than comply with the officers’ requests, the subject drove off, striking two officers. She was not arrested for possessing bottled water, but for running from police and striking two of them with a vehicle.”

I know it's the norm around here to hammer the police, but remember there are two sides to every story.

But, the cops mistakenly went after her and her roommates on a faulty suspicion. They even went as far as to jump on her car, pull out their guns, and try to break the windows of her car. And for what? They thought she had alcohol? ALCOHOL, a liquid beverage that judging by the police reaction; was bad enough to warrant a response comparable to terrorist with a bomb strapped to his chest yelling "Allah Akbar" whilst he runs into a crowd...

The entire ordeal seems surreal. Almost like something you would expect from the religious police in Iran or Saudi Arabia. The police overreacted to a situation that could have been handled in an entirely different way. Only a bunch of retards with big ego's and little wangs would do what these cops did. Yell like a bunch of retards waving your gun around, jumping on her car, and trying to break out the windows all because she "might" have had a liquid beverage you say that she is too young to enjoy? LMAO What kind of looney cartoon is this from?
edit on 3-7-2013 by rock427 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

"She was not arrested for possessing bottled water, but for running from police and striking two of them with a vehicle.”

And you seem to have missed the part where a girl, confident she is operating legally, freaks out when some guys in plain clothes pull guns on them and apparently fail to identify themselves as police. Please tell me why a girl, with either water or beer, would ever warrant the presence of a gun. Here's an idea, simply park them in. Wow, no guns necessary! The sad truth is that police spend a lot of money on their toys and they want to use them.
edit on 3-7-2013 by centhwevir1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
All yuppies buying sparkling water should go through this. Same goes for Whole Foods customers. All vegan and vegetarians should be harassed as well.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I agree with you, unfortunately this is becoming common as time continues.

It is true that also because of the rough times a lot of people become more aggressive, but just because a person has a bad day, or week, or year does not give them the right to abuse other people.

However, cops are there to protect us, yes they are human but if they cannot contain their aggression then those cops should not deal with the regular public.

We are all human, and whether we want to admit it any one of us can become annoyed or even angry at others for one or another reason, but there is also a difference between being annoyed, angry and using excessive force in situations that don't warrant it.

Even if those girls did buy a six pack of beer that is no excuse to try to break their car windows, and harass them the way they were by these cops.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter

The girls said the cops were not uniformed, not to mention that it is a fact that there are criminals who have claimed to be cops, and federal agents when they were not, and robbed as well as injured people using this tactic.

These girls just came out from a supermarket where they bought normal items, what would make them think "they broke the law"?

If it were to happen to me I would go inside the supermarket and called the police to send a patrol, which is also what the cops should have done instead of yelling and threatening these girls while trying to break their car windows when the cops were not even properly uniformed.

edit on 3-7-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
Edited to add a link to more sources of the same story, if you dislike rt.com for whatever reason
edit on 2-7-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

I didn't read through the entire thread but it looks like this story has been dropped from duckduckgo.com.
So if it was there who deleted the links???

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Boomer1941

Here is an msn link to this story.

Overzealous agents swarmed, jailed student for buying sparkling water
3 days ago

We wouldn't blame Elizabeth Daly for wanting a stiff drink after a disastrous encounter with seven Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control agents in Charlottesville that ended with her spending a night in jail. She's too young to drink, however. Mistaking the sparkling water she had just purchased for beer, plain-clothes agents with "unidentifiable badges" swarmed her SUV, frightening the 20-year-old and two companions. When she started the car to lower the power windows, all hell broke loose, with agents yelling, attempting to break windows, jumping on the hood and one allegedly pulling a gun. Daly fled, but stopped when the agents turned on the flashing lights and siren on their car. Daly will not be prosecuted for the three Class 6 felonies she was charged with in connection with the incident

now.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Gazrok

It's a class 1 misdemeanor.... That kind of response is highly unnecessary.

I'm Canadian. When I was 14 I was your typical little 14 year old. Got busted with a bunch of friends for drinking underage, had a couple of beers and some whiskey no one was even drunk yet. Cops come, and I mean half of the cops in the town, chasing kids down into the woods, and what happens? What was the appropriate response for a call of a handfull of teens with a case of beer?

I was arressted at gunpoint. That's right, I got to stare down the barrel of a cops handgun because I stole a few beer from my dad. Right in my face, like something from a cop show, it was quite surreal at the time. They even handcuffed some of us before giving us an 84$ fine.

84$ fine, gun in the face of a 14 year old. This wasn't even a large city, it's a tiny little town with a crime-rate of about nothing unless you consider stealing garden gnomes and placing them across the street in someone elses's garden a killable offense.

Glorious, I thought I was the only bored kid from a small town did things like that, one X-mas we took an entire collection, of the baby jesus, the three wise men, joseph and mary, santa and the rain dear, even the snow man, and put it up about 6 houses down the same street.

I still laugh at that to this day, we were such hooligans, my parents would be so ashamed is they knew.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Gazrok

It's a class 1 misdemeanor.... That kind of response is highly unnecessary.

I'm Canadian. When I was 14 I was your typical little 14 year old. Got busted with a bunch of friends for drinking underage, had a couple of beers and some whiskey no one was even drunk yet. Cops come, and I mean half of the cops in the town, chasing kids down into the woods, and what happens? What was the appropriate response for a call of a handfull of teens with a case of beer?

I was arressted at gunpoint. That's right, I got to stare down the barrel of a cops handgun because I stole a few beer from my dad. Right in my face, like something from a cop show, it was quite surreal at the time. They even handcuffed some of us before giving us an 84$ fine.

84$ fine, gun in the face of a 14 year old. This wasn't even a large city, it's a tiny little town with a crime-rate of about nothing unless you consider stealing garden gnomes and placing them across the street in someone elses's garden a killable offense.

When I was a kid, cops would pour out your beer and then tell your dad. Heck, they might not even tell your dad if they were in a good mood. Times have changed indeed.

Thats how I remember it, the police didnt prosecute the kids for drinking unless it was a very bad seen indeed, they just turned them over to "mom and dad" and let them sort it out, unless it was a common occurance for the same kids.

One can almost taste the social downturn, in so little a time, it is thick like syrup in january in Indiana.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I doubt that this was a sting operation as I know exactly where this happened in Charlottesville, VA. There are only two ABC's in the city which are the only stores where you can buy hard liquor and only one next to a store where she could have purchased the other items she had. In VA, you can only get hard liquor from a ABC store (or a bootlegger) but you can get beer from just about any store, market or gas station. It's still a shame though that you can't even run from a stranger without being arrested and charged with a felony. She is just lucky that she is a student because they treat locals unaffiliated with the University like peasants there.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It looks like alot of compensation is going her way.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

It looks like alot of compensation is going her way.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I would love to read the offending agents report directly after the incident and compare it to the girls account.

I bet the agents account is FULL of made up speculation about the two girls, as the agents try to justify their assault.

What are two women SUPPOSED to do when they're assaulted by SEVEN men trying to break into the car, screaming and pointing a gun? To think those idiots stood in front of the car as the girls tried to escape and let themselves get grazed....and then they charge the girls for it?

What did Obama say about denying charges of tyranny again? I guess we should just close our eyes and deny that we're on the cement with 2 jack boot thugs on our neck.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItCameFromOuterSpace
All yuppies buying sparkling water should go through this. Same goes for Whole Foods customers. All vegan and vegetarians should be harassed as well.

Or maybe we have grown up enough to not like the taste of sugary soda and this is an alternative...Wow. Your trolling needs work. Too "in your face". Subtlety is the key. Nice try though, sparky.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

The thread (and source) title is a little misleading and sensational to be honest.

From your source:

“Other agents did not join the incident until the subject refused to cooperate,” the ABC said in a statement published by USA TODAY. “Rather than comply with the officers’ requests, the subject drove off, striking two officers. She was not arrested for possessing bottled water, but for running from police and striking two of them with a vehicle.”

I know it's the norm around here to hammer the police, but remember there are two sides to every story.

Except the police don't have a valid side. There is NO EXCUSE to pen someone in and shout at them from all directions and pound on their windows and jump on the hood of their car. NONE. PERIOD.

NO EXCUSE!

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Here's the way I see it going down... through the eyes of all concerned. After all, it has been said that every person is following a logical, reasonable method for survival in the type of world they think they live in.

Daly is walking out of a store after having purchased some items. She gets in her car and several men close in and surround her, with guns drawn and yelling all together so no single order is clear. They are flashing something, but in the heat of the moment she has no way to realize what. She is shocked, surprised, and the main thought in her mind is that these men are attacking her and she needs to get away at all costs before she is raped or killed.

The agents are certain that they have a lawbreaker in their sights. She is moving in a suspicious manner; perhaps the way she is holding the water is suspicious. She could be armed; she even could have a felony record or be on the lam. They have to be safe when apprehending her. Guns need to be at the ready in case she decides to open fire with an undiscovered weapon. They approach and yell out who they are, The girl is acting more suspicious because she doesn't immediately comply. This indicates she may be about to run or attack. Guns are drawn and the demands are repeated. She still doesn't comply, meaning she has something to hide. At this point, there is sufficient cause for alarm for other agents to come in as back-up.

Two different interpretations of the same situation. The real question, in legal terms, is which one is "reasonable."

I believe Daly was acting in a reasonable manner. She was suddenly thrust into a situation that was not unlike an armed assault. She was unable to process the amount of information coming at her: the sudden appearance of strangers, the drawn guns, the undecipherable orders, the flashing of something illegible. Her thoughts focused on escape, as any reasonable person's thoughts would do.

The agents did not properly identify themselves. The suddenness of the sting left the girl unable to fully comprehend the situation, and the actions of the agents were perpetrated based on their own knowledge of the events, not on those which would be available to Daly. They knew who they were and that they were authorized to question and detain Daly if necessary. They knew the guns were only a precaution for their own safety. They did not, however, allow for how much of that information Daly was aware of (which was almost none).

This is a problem that is escalating out of control. Police have taken a safety-first attitude ion their job... not a bad thing in itself, by any means, but when taken to an extent that it overrides the necessity of overt and clear identification necessary to ensure compliance by law-abiding citizens, this concern over personal safety destroys the officer's ability to perform their job. No one can be reasonably expected to grasp in the space of a few mere seconds the fact that they are being confronted by an officer of the law; there is a short time period during which the person being confronted must adjust to the new situation.

During this short time period, the suspect cannot reasonably be expected to react in a proper manner. That's why so many people are being tased unnecessarily. The officer will announce themselves in a sudden, confrontational manner, the suspect will attempt to determine what is happening and will require a few seconds to realize their new situation, and the officer will fire the taser in those few seconds. Now the suspect is under even more duress, physical pain and immobility as well as confusion. The suspect is under attack and is experiencing the flight or fight reaction on a subconscious level, while the officers are interpreting this natural reaction to their actions as threatening.

It has been stated that police are not there to prevent crime, but to clean up afterward. If this is true, that means that the police should not be anticipating a crime against themselves either, but this anticipation is often blatantly obvious.

The only way to stop this, as much as I hate to say it, is to fire at least 50% of the police out there. At least this many are simply unable to handle the stress of the job and should not be in law enforcement. I have the highest respect for those who do their job with common sense and bravery, but I have no respect for those who are cowards with badges and guns. I have met too many of these, and have actually looked down the business end of a shaking barrel, unarmed and barely clothed while fully cooperating. I saw nothing in those blue eyes but fear, and fear in that situation could easily have gotten me killed.

Until this happens, the situation will get worse.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Another sickening situation where I am shocked we just put up with this stuff, almost no words, but emotion of anger...
Part of the problem is...

Originally posted by ItCameFromOute for what? What's it to yourSpace

We, Vegetarians... Vegans should be harassed for what? What about the bottle water drinkers, not all are Yuppies, some don't like local water, more. Whole Foods Customers, so what? What's it to you how we live our lives?

First they came for the ..
[continued...]
Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Don't Tread On Me.
edit on 5-7-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join