learn more

Virginia girl arrested for buying sparkling water

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

The impression I'm getting is that the cops came on WAY too aggressive. Glad they had the presence of mind to call 911.

Here's how it should have gone down (except for the waste of resources, and general dumbassery of the whole situation).

"Miss, I'm Officer so and so with Blah blah blah. Here is my badge, take a look. You're not under arrest, we just need to check your purchase to make certain that you were not sold alcohol illegally."

I still think there was 0 probable cause to stop the women. That would be like a cop running up to me walking out of a store with groceries with the automatic assumption I had just stolen. You don't get to do that.

I would be welling to bet that the store has a record or something, because as I understand it most of these operations involve having an underage person under the supervision of law enforcement attempt to buy alcohol, not just grabbing random people.

Of course I want to see the whole thing on video and hear both sides of the story etc. but I think that the prosecutors dropping all charges is pretty telling, and that they are trying to cover their asses. I hate having tax dollars wasted and the overly litigious society we live in, but I would certainly be talking to a lawyer. Being imprisoned is not fun, especially when you're not at fault.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

The ABC defended the charges, arguing that the girl’s response was illegal and inappropriate.

Really now? Who's actions were more inappropriate here?

That said, I was under the impression that by law, if you doubt a person is really a LEO that you have the right to not stop until you get some one involved that you are sure is a LEO....

This article just leaves me feeling angry, confused and wanting answers.... If these charges stick then.... Well, I can't say I will be surprised...Just a little more disappointed in society than I was before....

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyLiberalHippie

Well my friend take heart, the charges did not stick. I think we both consider it a travesty that they were even levied.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The charges may have been dropped, but the girl is going to have this following her around for the rest of her life. That may or may not be an issue for her in the future, when she's trying to find work.

I'm sorry I haven't been more active in this thread; my internet has been shoddy today.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It's my understanding that it's illegal to sell to minors. Not sure it's illegal to buy. These bozos should have gone after the store and not these girls.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Wow... what a totalitarian society we live in..

When LEO officers make mistakes and then prosecutors drop the charges..

It's almost too much to bear.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I want to know why it takes 7 agents to stake out and try to arrest underage beer purchases?
7? Really? Did they show up for work with pick axes and long beards by any chance?

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I thought it was the cookie dough that was the tip off for a sting, suspicion of illegal raw cookie dough consumption. It must have been a really bad part of Virginia in the middle of the night to make the girls want to run away from chaos like that. They must have thought a zombie apocalypse had just started and it was total anarchy and they were the last to know.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Hello, allow me to weigh in if i may.
Sounds like a sting kinda deal, why else would there be so many plain clothes LEO's together ? (Very unusual where i live, actually unheard of. Even at large events they still work in small teams)
Why the sting type operations, well it seems they have no interest in preventing crime only to punish it ?

This whole thing sounds odd.
Even if the 7 LEO's where just standing around, its weird they decide to go all rambo over a teenage girl who might have done something ?
Pardon me, but i cant help comparing it to what the geheime staatspolizei did during WW2...
Terrorizing civilians, even innocent ones! And wearing plain clothes while during so , is the kicker..

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
In Charlottesville, there is a headquarters for some army intelligence agency, an fbi headquarters (i believe), and a few other government agencies.

I used to live there, actually, for a short time. I was amazed at the amount of government officials you'd see around. It's a pretty small town, but it's a college town. I know about the army intelligence agency (can't remember the name of it) because the guy I was dating at the time was stationed there. This was in 2001- in fact, on 9/11 he was very worried they'd stop-loss him as he was up for terminal leave that month.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The 12 pack wasn't even alcohol though? Yes I agree excessive action was defiantly unnecessary in this situation. The student walked out with a bag implying that she purchased all the items. Not like she ran out of the store franticly with a 24 pack of bud light on her shoulder.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It seems to me that there are no penalties for LEOs that do things like this. Sure the authority can be sued for money but the officer has no incentive to get it right the first time. We've had plenty of cases where they break down the wrong door or the right door if it had been 5 years ago and shoot someone protecting their home.

I really think there should be some mandatory penalties (read jail time) for not double checking or even triple checking your information. I would rather a criminal go free than an innocent get terrorized, traumatized or killed.

There was no need to terrorize these girls. I would have drove away from 7 guys with guns screaming at me too.

Overall, I think it's time to demilitarize law enforcement and screen them for sociopaths.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

I suspect that all/most law enforcement agencies have been instructed to step up the heat. either to make people cow down or/and get nervously used to living in a police state. all the better to remove all freedoms of the people.
and the elite/zios will be behind it.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
But they weren't doing anything wrong, i thought they had nothing
to fear, i mean that's how this all works right, we do nothing wrong
they leave us alone...... oh wait.......

I am gonna say this again, people wont take action until its too late,
allowing the militarization of the police force has been the worst
mistake ever made.

I would love to see courts bring a much heavier hand in situations
like these, punish the officers severely and they wont be so quick
to use force.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
You can't buy beer aged 20 yrs old ?

What kind of country do you live in ?

*slurp* *hic*

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   
At least they have a nice pay day coming coyrtesy of the tax payers .

Could be a new game show. Do nothing wrong in front of cops and either a)be killed or b)win a million bucks.

God bless these brave officers for keeping us safe.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
So in-fact the USA is not the land of the free. The more and more i read about the States the more and more i will never go there. Just entering the States via the airports scare the crud out of me.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liquesence
reply to post by Hushabye

What I want to know is WHY did they presume and act this way? Is it now SOP to approach and attempt to arrest people simple for the "appearance" of something? "There's a young person, she *might* be underage and she *might* have just bought alcohol. Let's take her down." Is this for real????? Did the cashier make a false call?

Did she *try* to buy alcohol?

This doesn't make any sense, why they would approach her from the start just because they thought she might have bought alcolhol and not knowing her actual age?

This is incredibly dangerous tendency of the government and all law enforcement agencies - they are now using inappropriate and lethal force to investigate potential thought crimes. Even if this girl were underage and even if she had purchased alcohol, their response was completely inappropriate and hers was extremely appropriate. So now if they can't call you a 'terrorist' that imagine you might possible in some tangential imaginary timeline be guilty of one of the ten zillion crimes on the books. They are acting completely insane. Why should we respect the law if you get in trouble anyway? This girl was minding her own business and they accosted her.

edit on 3-7-2013 by DiscreteParticle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It's a class 1 misdemeanor.... That kind of response is highly unnecessary.

I'm Canadian. When I was 14 I was your typical little 14 year old. Got busted with a bunch of friends for drinking underage, had a couple of beers and some whiskey no one was even drunk yet. Cops come, and I mean half of the cops in the town, chasing kids down into the woods, and what happens? What was the appropriate response for a call of a handfull of teens with a case of beer?

I was arressted at gunpoint. That's right, I got to stare down the barrel of a cops handgun because I stole a few beer from my dad. Right in my face, like something from a cop show, it was quite surreal at the time. They even handcuffed some of us before giving us an 84$ fine.

84$ fine, gun in the face of a 14 year old. This wasn't even a large city, it's a tiny little town with a crime-rate of about nothing unless you consider stealing garden gnomes and placing them across the street in someone elses's garden a killable offense.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by unnamednumber

Why the sting type operations, well it seems they have no interest in preventing crime only to punish it ?

Cops aren't employed to prevent crime, as any honest one and they'll tell you as much. They are employed to come clean up the mess after the fact and put the "bad guy" in jail, they aren't there to stop him from committing the crime in the first place.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join