Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Americans don't even know what 4th of july is about!

page: 3
5
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

The thing that i always find amusing is that Americans call the 4th July "Independence Day" It isn't. America gained Independence on 3rd September 1783, with the signing of The Treaty Of Paris. The last British troops left America in November 1783.
You would think such an important period in American History would be documented correctly
edit on 2-7-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)


July 4th, 1776 was when George Washington stood on the deck of the USS Virginia frigate and loudly proclaimed "Mission accomplished."

In all seriousness, while any idiot should know the history of their country, the 4th of July has become a caricature of anything even remotely worth celebrating. We are neither independent nor free and we never will be so long as there are rabid wolves overseeing the fields of sheep between the majestic purple mountains from sea to shining sea. How freaking stupid does a person need to be to feverishly waive little American flags with "Made in Taiwan" labels on them while watching national celebrations on TVs made in Korea and starting forest fires shooting off fireworks made in China, and doing it all while chanting "USA! USA!" Thanks, "Americans"... but if that's how the masses wish to "celebrate" this nation I'd rather they just stiffle themselves and not celebrate at all.




posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by svetlana84
Mark Dice went out to ask americans what 4th of july is about.

The answers, well i am speechless right now.

Just watch the video:
Americans don t know what 4th july is about

For all those who can't watch the video: in short none of the interviewed know what 4th of july is, from which country the us got independent from and when it happenend.

Doomed...

Your opinions?



FUNNY......... the last person interviewed was a German Tourist who knew more about American history than the Americans (& Mexicans) questioned............ Hilarious...

PDUK



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
reply to post by svetlana84
 


I'm pretty sure this will educate Americans especially video gamers



What a Pile of SH*T

Ubisoft trying to re-write history........... ha ha ha ha ha the french are pathetic

Video games are fantastic adventures and fantasies but this trailer really is a pile of POO

Regards

PDUK



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

Please answer one question.
How can a country claim to be independent when large area's of the 13 Colonies where still under British Control,well after 4th July 1776?


The word "independent" is rooted in "dependent"...The 13 Colonies unanimously declared themselves independant on the 4th of July...what were they "dependent" on thier British rulers for? Persecution? Excessive taxation? Unjust trials?

Independance can be supressed, but the nature of independance...can never be fully extinguished by that opression...even in death or defeat. Once the American Colonists disavowed thier loyalty to the king and Britian...they were independent, albiet opressed for a few more years.

...When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation....

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.


edit on 3-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Indigo5
 




and then went on to defeat the worlds greatest super-power at the time


With the help of the French who encircled British ships and provided the "colonists" with arms and ammunition to fight of the British. If not for the dastardly weasels in France, you'd still be paying taxes on your tea to the King, or Queen as it is.


Oh...Puhleese!

Yes the French helped and Kudos to them for the help...

The French had about 12,000 troops in America
US Local Troops were around 85,000

The Brits had

56,000 troops in America
30,000 Germans...Hessians...fierce mercenaries...the legend of the "Headless Horseman" is about a Hessian mercenary.
50,000 Loyalists...those that survived fled to your neck of the woods in Canada if memory serves me.
13,000 Natives
170,000 British Sailors



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
seams to me the so called stupid people are the ones saying how stupid the people who were in the video are.
The guy doing the poll at one point says 1976 at another when talking to the person he says when did the US gain independence from CHINA several times trying his best to get the person to answer without thinking first .
Your out just having a nice day relaxing and some dude comes up asking you random questions wile all you really want to do is go about your day.
If the people are stupids the guy doing teh video is even dummer .
Funny story ((im 47 (btw) went into a convience store asked for smokes ((there is s sign on the counter sayinhg you MUST BE 18 to buy cigarettes )) ((excatly the wording ) so i say to the girl ((you know im NOT 18 ! she gives me a funny look and i say again Really im not 18 . She then ask for my ID Accutly thinking im under 18)
Noiw why did this work? it wasnt because she was stupid .It was because she was told 100 times CHECK for ID if any dought. So by saying I was not 18 in such a sure tone of voice it kicked the Check for ID in and she no longer was looking at my OVES age .
This guy in the video is doing the EXACT same thing . By GIVEN a answer and distracting the person by being slightly funny people go along with what they expect he expects to hear .I grante if you asked thous people the same question in a envermint like say a school and DONT add in your own When did we gain independence from china quote .You would get the correct answers .
For all you Brits (thanks for the red jackets it made such a nice target . .You may clam we are stupid but we still kicked your but.
O ps give the french much credit is just plane Funny .Like the french every won anything.
edit on 3-7-2013 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by alldaylong

Please answer one question.
How can a country claim to be independent when large area's of the 13 Colonies where still under British Control,well after 4th July 1776?


The word "independent" is rooted in "dependent"...The 13 Colonies unanimously declared themselves independant on the 4th of July...what were they "dependent" on thier British rulers for? Persecution? Excessive taxation? Unjust trials?

Independance can be supressed, but the nature of independance...can never be fully extinguished by that opression...even in death or defeat. Once the American Colonists disavowed thier loyalty to the king and Britian...they were independent, albiet opressed for a few more years.

...When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation....

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.


edit on 3-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)


The 13 Colonies declared U D I ( Unilateral Declaration of Independence) as Rhodesia did under the Premiership of Ian Smith in 1965. This declaration was deemed illegal under international law. Independence only becomes legal when agreements are signed by all parties involved. This did not happen untill 1783 in the case of the 13 Colonies.
You can call yourself independent but your not untill it becomes legal.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96


For crying out loud at least go watch the Patriot with Mel Gibson.





That would be even worse. The only thing they got right was the British wore red.

Everything else in that film is pure and utter rubbish.




Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by alldaylong
 


fictionalized?

99%

Originally posted by neo96
Miss the part where Mel says "trading 1 tryrant 3000 miles away for a few hundred 1 mile away?

Well first Mell Gibson said it so it defiantly is wrong. This is the Guy that brought you Braveheart with the battle of sterling bridge that did not have a bridge and We were solider that portrayed the battle of la Drang as a outstanding American victory. So yeah I think we should presume that everything he says or does is wrong.

Secondly The British Monarchy have had little to no power since we chopped Charles I head of in 1642. The King was not responsible for the war of independence, it was the British elected parliament. So the quote would be better as "trading a few hundred tyrants 3000 miles away for a few hundred 1 mile away?


Originally posted by neo96
Yeah so unbelievable.


Complety.



As for the 4th of July what it is ?

Easy a bunch of annoyed rich people got fed up that they had to pay taxes to pay for the French/India war were Britain had to come and save them, though more angry at the fact they did not have a MP in Parliament to protest such a thing. As such they started mass disobedience that eventually turned into a civil war. A war won by the Americans when the French and Spanish got involved. and by the fact that the majority of the British public and even army were actually sympathetic to the Americans and so basically gave up anyway.

Also it was not until saratoga that your forefathers even considered real independence anyway. Up till then both sides were in talks with the American happy to stop if the British gave them there MP's
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Indigo5
 




and then went on to defeat the worlds greatest super-power at the time


With the help of the French who encircled British ships and provided the "colonists" with arms and ammunition to fight of the British. If not for the dastardly weasels in France, you'd still be paying taxes on your tea to the King, or Queen as it is.


Oh...Puhleese!

Yes the French helped and Kudos to them for the help...

The French had about 12,000 troops in America
US Local Troops were around 85,000

The Brits had

56,000 troops in America
30,000 Germans...Hessians...fierce mercenaries...the legend of the "Headless Horseman" is about a Hessian mercenary.
50,000 Loyalists...those that survived fled to your neck of the woods in Canada if memory serves me.
13,000 Natives
170,000 British Sailors



You have got your figures from Wiki which 99% of the time gives wrong information. During the course of the war, the traitors from the 13 colonies that fought against Britain totaled 250,000 and not 85,000 as you stated.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You also have to take into account the French and Spanish troops not in USA.....


The fact was the British could not send the troops that were needed to put the rebellion down due to the fact that much more valuable and important places had to be garrisoned incase the French or Spanish showed up.

The 13 colonies were really not that important as far as our empire went.

At the time our holding in the carribian were far more valuble and French and Spanish were always looking for ways to take them. Coupled with the high attrition rate there due to yellow fever these holdings gobbled up troops like the NSA gobbles up data.

We also were just getting into India which was far more valuble! Again we had to send troops to prop the east india company up. Troops that died quicky due to diease.

Lastly and more importantly we had to defend the UK. France and the Spanish would have been marching down the streets of London if we had diverted the needed troops


This resulted in the fact that 12,000 landing on US soild being enough to tip the balance in the USA favour.

As far as world events went the American war was insignificant at the time.It was a superpower bullying area of backward farmers. It was our Vietnam. Yeah we could have stayed and fought harder and won. But it just wasnt worth it. Better to cut our losses and go as the USA was not worth the cost. Plus the war at home was unpopular and the goverment was lossing popularity over it along with alot of British officers resigning there comssions over protest of the war. So you can thank the British public for putting pressure on the goverment to stop the war along with french and Spanish help.
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'm wondering if the video was shot in California. I noticed almost everyone was young who was shown in the video and got the answer completely wrong. The old guy at the end got the answer correct. I'm talking about the original video link.

This could be a result of the education system in California. Unfortunately it probably isn't much better in the rest of the country too if they are no longer teaching history. Hopefully the video edited out all the correct people saying the correct answer except for one guy at the end of the video. I believe when I was in High School, over 90 percent would have gotten the correct answer.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
The 13 Colonies declared U D I ( Unilateral Declaration of Independence) as Rhodesia did under the Premiership of Ian Smith in 1965. This declaration was deemed illegal under international law. Independence only becomes legal when agreements are signed by all parties involved. This did not happen untill 1783 in the case of the 13 Colonies.
You can call yourself independent but your not untill it becomes legal.


That there is some real comedy...We were independent the minute we declared it. International law??? US law supercedes "international law" and the US declared itself independent. It's the same with Britian...do you think the Brits are subject to International Law above British law? On thier own soil??? Apart from that there was very little if any international law at the time...what a silly argument.

Just cuz the Brits didn't agree until we stomped on them, doesn't mean that we were not independent.

Put another way...the Brits tried to force thier rule through military action and failed...

Independance does not require the consent of tyrants...That is not how the world has ever worked.

The literal veracity of the USA's declaration of independance was determined via the trials of a Revolutionary WAR...which was decided unquestionably in our favor, validating that declaration.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by alldaylong
The 13 Colonies declared U D I ( Unilateral Declaration of Independence) as Rhodesia did under the Premiership of Ian Smith in 1965. This declaration was deemed illegal under international law. Independence only becomes legal when agreements are signed by all parties involved. This did not happen untill 1783 in the case of the 13 Colonies.
You can call yourself independent but your not untill it becomes legal.


That there is some real comedy...We were independent the minute we declared it. International law??? US law supercedes "international law" and the US declared itself independent. It's the same with Britian...do you think the Brits are subject to International Law above British law? On thier own soil??? Apart from that there was very little if any international law at the time...what a silly argument.

Just cuz the Brits didn't agree until we stomped on them, doesn't mean that we were not independent.

Put another way...the Brits tried to force thier rule through military action and failed...

Independance does not require the consent of tyrants...That is not how the world has ever worked.

The literal veracity of the USA's declaration of independance was determined via the trials of a Revolutionary WAR...which was decided unquestionably in our favor, validating that declaration.


You can see it from an American point of view and that is your perogative.

As for stomping on Britain, well that took you 8 years. Not a quick victory was it?



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok
 


Thanks to the brits on this thread for demonstrating how the American Revolution is taught in Britian...with excuses and fudged numbers etc. I guess when you get your butt kicked so badly that the embarrassment effectively ends Monarch rule altogether in your country...you must have a long list of rationalizations.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong


As for stomping on Britain, well that took you 8 years. Not a quick victory was it?


All things considered given weather, contemporary technology, troop mobility, disease etc. etc. And being outnumbered and untrained....8 Years was a phenomenally speedy victory.

Why not discuss Englands "Hundred Year" war with France? What was the War of the Roses? 30 Years?...Yep..American civilians assembled an army and thoroughly defeated the most well trained military on the planet in 8 measly years...



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Originally posted by alldaylong


As for stomping on Britain, well that took you 8 years. Not a quick victory was it?


All things considered given weather, contemporary technology, troop mobility, disease etc. etc. And being outnumbered and untrained....8 Years was a phenomenally speedy victory.

Why not discuss Englands "Hundred Year" war with France? What was the War of the Roses? 30 Years?...Yep..American civilians assembled an army and thoroughly defeated the most well trained military on the planet in 8 measly years...


LOL The hundred years war didn't go on for for a hundred years no stop. It was on and off over that period.
As for the war of the Roses that was a Civil War ( I think you had one of those in America)
As i said it took you 8 years to defeat an Army that had to travel 3000 miles to to get there.
Did you see my previous post? The rebels didn't have just 56,000 troops. Over the 8 years it was a total of 250,000. Never use Wiki for your facts




posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong
 


I think your numbers are fudged...and you will have to forgive me if I take a little patriotic pleasure in messing with a Brit for the Fourth of July

I'll leave you with this...


Lincoln told a story of Ethan Allen, an American Revolution war hero who went to Britain after the war. After he arrived, the British, still upset about having lost the war, put their measly Brit minds together and came up with a plot to try to embarrass Allen by putting a large portrait of George Washington in the only outhouse where he might encounter it. They had hoped Allen would be upset about the indignity of George Washington being in an outhouse. That night, after dinner and conversation, Allen made his way out, candle in hand, and did his business. He came back in as high of spirits as ever.

“Didn’t you see George Washington in there?!” they said.

“Oh yes,” said Allen. “Perfectly appropriate place for him”

“What do you mean?” They said.

“Well,” he said, “there is nothing to make an Englishman # faster than the sight of General George Washington.
edit on 3-7-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by alldaylong
 


I think your numbers are fudged...and you will have to forgive me if I take a little patriotic pleasure in messing with a Brit on for the Fourth of July

I'll leave you with this...


Lincoln told a story of Ethan Allen, an American Revolution war hero who went to Britain after the war. After he arrived, the British, still upset about having lost the war, put their measly Brit minds together and came up with a plot to try to embarrass Allen by putting a large portrait of George Washington in the only outhouse where he might encounter it. They had hoped Allen would be upset about the indignity of George Washington being in an outhouse. That night, after dinner and conversation, Allen made his way out, candle in hand, and did his business. He came back in as high of spirits as ever.

“Didn’t you see George Washington in there?!” they said.

“Oh yes,” said Allen. “Perfectly appropriate place for him”

“What do you mean?” They said.

“Well,” he said, “there is nothing to make an Englishman # faster than the sight of General George Washington.


My numbers are correct. Read if for yourself:-

www.americanrevolutionarywar.net...

The figure over the 8 years is 250,000. You should never rely on Wiki, no one who wants to discuss seriously ever does.



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
reply to post by crazyewok
 


Thanks to the brits on this thread for demonstrating how the American Revolution is taught in Britian...with excuses and fudged numbers etc. I guess when you get your butt kicked so badly that the embarrassment effectively ends Monarch rule altogether in your country...you must have a long list of rationalizations.



Im not sure what part of what I said was wrong?

Did the British not have more important holdings?

Did the French and Spanish not threaten these holdings plus the UK main land?

Did the British not have a constitutional monarchy with a parliament that was elected and made the decisions?

Did the British public support the war?

Did British officers not resign over it?

Did the USA founding fathers not enter talks on peace before saratoga?

Was the primary reason of the war not over taxation without representation?

Was it not started by the rich and powerful?

Please enlighten me? What facts did I get wrong.

My information comes from many different sources. Manly despatches from American and British officers serving at the time. I would suggest reading some. Far more accurate than the nonsense some American propaganda text book says. And the non sense of some british text books too.

But kicked so badly? Erm yeah then why were we winning if only slightly before the French landed troops? (to be fair it could have gone ether way at that point.)

And the war ending the power of the Monarchy? That happened in 1642!


Why does it have to be USA USA USA! ? You still won, yeah you had to have help from the French and Spanish and is was the British parliament not a absolute Monarch you had to fight. But you still won. Does not mean you have to make patriotic nonsense up to make it better. Just be happy for the victory that it was.

And oif cause there are rationalizations. every war has them! There is alway ways reasons why one side did not win and another side does win. If there wasnt all wars would be a draw! This is not a mel Gibbson film The UK did not lose because it was weak and cowardly and the the American brave fearing and backed by god
the trusth is far more balanced and less black and white.






edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)
edit on 3-7-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong


My numbers are correct. Read if for yourself:-

www.americanrevolutionarywar.net...

The figure over the 8 years is 250,000. You should never rely on Wiki, no one who wants to discuss seriously ever does.


NOPE...Read your source...I cited 85,000 US troops

When discussing troop numbers...it's best to cite actual troops in the field!

You summed up everyone that ever served....



In the beginning of 1776, the army of Washington had 20,000 men wherein two-thirds of them were enlisted in the Continental Army and the other third were in the various state militias.

When the American Revolution in 1783 ended, both the Continental Navy and Continental Marines were disbanded.

There are about 250,000 men who served as regulars or as militiamen for the Revolutionary cause during the eight years of the war. However, there were never more than 90,000 total men under arms in one single time.

By European standards of the era, the American armies were relative small.


Again that is YOUR source...so what were the Brits numbers according to YOUR source?


25,000 Loyalists who fought on the British side and thousands had served in the Royal Navy.
German states that supplied the British armies with more than 30,000 soldiers.
the number of British and German troops stationed in North America grew to over 60,000
over 20,000 black soldiers who fought for the British side.
Estimatedly, there are 13,000 native warriors who fought for the British side





new topics

top topics



 
5
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join