It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans don't even know what 4th of july is about!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by svetlana84

Well OP, you've really got one up on those stupid people. The declaration of independence was actually the Declaration of the New Jerusalem. The fourth of July is the anniversary, of the loss of the Temple of Jerusalem. By the Knights Templar to the Saracens. Your celebrations give Power to a ritual, that you all unwittenly partake.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this is no longer ideologically the same country that it was when it was founded.

Appreciation for the history of the United States' birth is sorely lacking and in many cases even covered up and forgotten.

As long as schools are more concerned with social issues (which, in my opinion, should be dealt with at home), than they are with actual education, there is little hope for the recovery of our people.

Our country, as it stands, is little more than a rolling ball of political indoctrination and filth.

Just my opinion, agree or disagree as you see fit.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 13th Zodiac

This isn't Stormfront. It's ATS

I saw this the other day and I thought it was poignant. Of course with anything extremely right wing, you have to get through the bull plop to the core of the subject.

whatreallyhappened.com...

While it has some truth to it, there's a lot of distortion in it too.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Even i know it as a Brit but I have a secondary reason for it as its my mothers birthday and she nearly got named independence
(and no she wasn't a GI baby), but given the crap we see about you having to do pledges every day and sign the national anthem at the opening of box of breakfast cereal i would of expect much more as its basic knowledge

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by alldaylong

fictionalized?

Miss the part where Mel says "trading 1 tryrant 3000 miles away for a few hundred 1 mile away?

Yeah so unbelievable.

Yes unbelievable it certainly is.

Here a just a FEW of the inaccuracies:-

www.guardian.co.uk...

There are many many more

link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

Not watched the videa, but I'm guessing it's been edited - so if they asked 1,000 people and 10 gave daft or ignorant answers, we see those 10 and not the others?

It's not likely in any way representative of the US population as a whole. Is it ....?

That's what I'm wondering as well. Mark Dice is known for doing those kinds on videos but he's never really clear on what the numbers are.

He addressed this quickly in one of his videos (I can't seem to find it) and I think I remember him saying that it was the vast majority of people that are incorrect and don't know their history.

But again, people shouldn't make videos like this and not report the numbers of people interviewed and how many were right/wrong.

Unless you know exactly how many were wrong and how many were right, you can't use this video for purposes other than mindless entertainment.

edit on 2-7-2013 by Dominar because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
Even i know it as a Brit but I have a secondary reason for it as its my mothers birthday and she nearly got named independence
(and no she wasn't a GI baby), but given the crap we see about you having to do pledges every day and sign the national anthem at the opening of box of breakfast cereal i would of expect much more as its basic knowledge

The only time you hear the national anthem in the U.S. these days is before a sporting event, and many people, including those that are paid to sing it, don't even know the words.

I couldn't tell you the last time I heard the pledge of allegiance.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Seriously?

What a part of 536 tyrants plus the tyrants of government agencies and the complete tyrannical despotism of the current government are some people missing?

Ignore that to bash a fillm alrightie then.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Ignore that to bash a fillm alrightie then.

If you wish to quote "The Patriot" (which you did) Then you have to expect it to be bashed.
2nd

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong

For crying out loud at least go watch the Patriot with Mel Gibson.

I watched The Patriot just once. I still can't make up my mind if it was supposed to be a comedy film or just a complete work of fiction.
Maybe someone can answer the question for me.

Oh, and the same goes for Braveheart.

Mel Gibson makes the most historically accurate films since "The Life of Brian".

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The thing that i always find amusing is that Americans call the 4th July "Independence Day" It isn't. America gained Independence on 3rd September 1783, with the signing of The Treaty Of Paris. The last British troops left America in November 1783.
You would think such an important period in American History would be documented correctly
edit on 2-7-2013 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The thing that i always find amusing is that Americans call the 4th July "Independence Day" It isn't. America gained Independence on 3rd September 1783, with the signing of The Treaty Of Paris. The last British troops left America in November 1783.
You would think such an important period in American History would be documented correctly

It is documented correctly.

On the Declaration of Independence it says

IN CONGRESS, July 4, 1776.

www.archives.gov...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Your view is premised that our freedom was something that England granted us. We granted ourselves freedom with the declaration of independance July 4th, 1776...and then went on to defeat the worlds greatest super-power at the time...We were a free nation the moment we declared it...not when England acknowledged it.

To be clear...every founding father that signed the declaration of independance knew that they were also signing thier own death warrant if the war was lost...and facing the largest standing army on earth that had never been defeated...victory was about as much a dream as a "government of the people"....From that moment it was freedom or death. High Treason was punishable at the time by being hanged, drawn and quartered. Anyone wondering what that is...fastened to a hurdle, or wooden panel, and drawn by horse to the place of execution, where they were hanged (almost to the point of death), emasculated, disembowelled, beheaded and quartered (chopped into four pieces). Their remains were often displayed in prominent places such as London Bridge. Every man that signed the declaration knowingly and volountarily committed high-treason, signed thier names and sent the document straight to the King of England. Profound bravery...against virtually unwinnable odds....for a cause that was but a distant dream at the time.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
If a person wants to not care about the history of this country
then that is the freedom granted them by the constitution,
if a person wants to know every nuance of history that is
the freedom granted to them by the constitution, if a person
wants to celebrate by using their freedom to spend time with
their family eating, drinking and being marry then that is
the freedom they are granted by our constitution, to tell
people they must celebrate by remembering history and
forcing you view on them is actually the antithesis of freedom.......

Yeah lets celebrate our freedom by forcing a history lesson
on those who do not desire it or make fun of them and shun
them because they do not conform to our ideal of freedom.....

::facepalm::

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Your view is premised that our freedom was something that England granted us. We granted ourselves freedom with the declaration of independance July 4th, 1776...and then went on to defeat the worlds greatest super-power at the time...We were a free nation the moment we declared it...not when England acknowledged it.

To be clear...every founding father that signed the declaration of independance knew that they were also signing thier own death warrant if the war was lost...and facing the largest standing army on earth that had never been defeated...victory was about as much a dream as a "government of the people"....From that moment it was freedom or death. High Treason was punishable at the time by being hanged, drawn and quartered. Anyone wondering what that is...fastened to a hurdle, or wooden panel, and drawn by horse to the place of execution, where they were hanged (almost to the point of death), emasculated, disembowelled, beheaded and quartered (chopped into four pieces). Their remains were often displayed in prominent places such as London Bridge. Every man that signed the declaration knowingly and volountarily committed high-treason, signed thier names and sent the document straight to the King of England. Profound bravery...against virtually unwinnable odds....for a cause that was but a distant dream at the time.

Please answer one question.
How can a country claim to be independent when large area's of the 13 Colonies where still under British Control,well after 4th July 1776?
To call yourself independent means you have full control over all aspects of government and daily life. You didn't at that time.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   

people who use these vids to make threads and draw conclusions on ATS are fare more stupid than the idiots who appear in them

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Please answer one question.
How can a country claim to be independent when large area's of the 13 Colonies where still under British Control,well after 4th July 1776?
To call yourself independent means you have full control over all aspects of government and daily life. You didn't at that time.

Forgive my intrusion here, but the declaration was largely symbolic as afterward it sparked a war. It also signaled to the other colonies to refute the rule of the King and institute their own Governments. That is how the independence was gained.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

Nobody talks about forcing history lessons onto people.
And yes it s a freedom to stay ignorant and stupid.

Just remember every country gets the government they deserve.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

and then went on to defeat the worlds greatest super-power at the time

With the help of the French who encircled British ships and provided the "colonists" with arms and ammunition to fight of the British. If not for the dastardly weasels in France, you'd still be paying taxes on your tea to the King, or Queen as it is. Also, your statue of Liberty, you know, that all American monument. French.

Actually, the story of the Us gaining independence is a prime example of how history is written by the victor. Just like how the US unilaterally saved the entire world during world war 2.

Anyhoo. This video reminds me of that Rick Mercer "Taking With Americans" video, funny, but as a whole you know they cherry pick the good ones. At least with Rick, when someone FINALLY got a question right, he showed you. Then again it was asking Americans about Canada.

After seeing that, I was no longer concerned over those old US plans to invade Canada. We're completely safe, just erase the word "Canada" from the map and watch them scour the planet looking for us in vain.

"Hello Canada our Eskimo neighbors to the south"

Indeed.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Hmm lets see, in this thread i have seen comments demeaning people because
of their lack of history knowledge, to me that insinuates that they would want
those people to know history for them to be considered equals in intelligence,
while i agree that people should desire knowledge on our country and find
it sad when people dont, i do not think they are any more or less or an intelligent
person than i am for it, as to the comment about having a government we
deserve, sure if everything were equal, we were actually a democracy and not
a democratic republic, the two party system didn't exist, voting was protected
properly and honesty was at the core of government i would agree.

Just because an electorate that can and is bought and paid for voted a candidate
into office does not mean the people agree, with the security being as poor as it
is on E voting machines we also cannot be certain the votes are even counted
properly and that's a fact, combine this with what happened during the 2nd bush jr.
election, if you can call it that, id say there a pretty good case for the statement
that the government gets the successor it chooses.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join