It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before Stonewall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
An interesting documentary on the Stonewall riots and the life of the illegal gay community before. I didn't want to post this on the main forums, just hope maybe one person takes the time to watch the documentary to help display some of the myths flying around the site lately.

The Stonewall riots were a series of spontaneous, violent demonstrations by members of the gay community against a police raid that took place in the early morning hours of June 28, 1969, at the Stonewall Inn, in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City. They are widely considered to constitute the single most important event leading to the gay liberation movement and the modern fight for gay and lesbian rights in the United States.[2][3]

I'm not gay myself, but have always found the stonewall movement an inspiration for the downtrodden and voiceless.
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-7-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Thank you for posting about this,

i intended to post something on the anniversary, but didn't want to cause an uproar and create further tensions and arguments

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

I would have thought it would be something the anti establishment crowd on ATS would enjoy. This is people fighting against tyranny and winning. An example to be applauded

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Truth girl , but it would be thought of as another 'Gay Topic' and shade would have been tossed and would have taken away from the actually point of the topic

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I am glad you posted this. HBO did a documentary in 2012 about activist. Vito Russo which is about the stonewall movement. I found it very informative. Here is a link to some more information about it.

vitorussomovie.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The Wiki Page Is A Great Read

I just read about this not too long ago and found it rather fascinating. Thanks for posting it OP. I think a lot of people are unaware this even happened.

top topics

join