David M. Miyasato enlisted in the U.S. Army Reserve in 1987, served three years of active duty during the first Gulf War and received an honorable discharge in 1991. He remained on inactive status for five more years, until 1996. Since then, the Kaua'i resident has married, started an auto window tinting business and this year, he and his wife had their first child.
But in September, Miyasato received a letter from the Army recalling him to active duty and directing him to report to a military facility in South Carolina on Tuesday.
"I was shocked," Miyasato said yesterday. "I never expected to see something like that after being out of the service for 13 years."
Miyasato is now suing the Secretary of the Army, asking a court to prevent the Army from ordering him to active duty. He is also asking for a court judgment declaring that he fulfilled all his obligations to the military.
Miyasato's lawyer, Eric Seitz, said Miyasato earlier asked for an exemption, but never got a response.
Originally posted by moxyone
What has he been doing for the past 8 years? It says he was incative until 1996..then what? Is he in the National Guard...or inactive Army Reserves?
This is no big deal, other than just another example of someone who does not want to live to their responsibilities.
It in no way can possibly be construed as a draft precursor.
Originally posted by DrHoracid
There are too many unknowns here. What was his MOS? Is he in any guard unit? Is he just a "coward"?
The Selective Service filed a notice in the federal register three days before the election to check the computer records of the Department of Education for compliance with a law that requires all students receiving federal financial aid to register for the draft...
Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Even John Kerry said he would put 40,000 more troops in the field. Where was he going to get them?