It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So how do you pick a good seedless watermelon?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by okayimhere

Bring a broom straw when you go to pick your melon. When you find one that looks good first thump it to see if it has a good hollow sound to it. If you're still not sure set the watermelon on the floor or ground and lay the broom straw on top of it near the middle. If the broom straw turns you have a winner, if it stays still keep on looking!

LOL Or we could light a candle underneath it and if the flame moves to the right, it's ripe or maybe just ask the melon, "How are you feeling today melon? Sweet? Or kind of plain?" Couldn't resist! Sounds like you are teasing, so I have to poke a bit of fun!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loveaduck

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by okayimhere

Bring a broom straw when you go to pick your melon. When you find one that looks good first thump it to see if it has a good hollow sound to it. If you're still not sure set the watermelon on the floor or ground and lay the broom straw on top of it near the middle. If the broom straw turns you have a winner, if it stays still keep on looking!

LOL Or we could light a candle underneath it and if the flame moves to the right, it's ripe or maybe just ask the melon, "How are you feeling today melon? Sweet? Or kind of plain?" Couldn't resist! Sounds like you are teasing, so I have to poke a bit of fun!

With the broom straw thing, last year, at a local produce stand here in my area, I seen a guy do this very thing. He plucked a straw out of a broom and laid it on top of a watermelon. Sure enough, the straw turned, and he proclaimed the watermelon to be ripe.

It would take so little air to make the straw move though, so I'm not sure I put a lot of faith in this technique.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Find one with the longest vine still attached after it was cut, and as close to looking like a curly pig tail as you can find. It will always the the sweetest reddest water melon in the bunch. An old water melon farmer taught me that when I was a little kid.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The best chance of getting a good watermelon is to get a seeded one. If ripe, they seem to always taste better.

I bought a seeded one the other day and, although still not as good as I was hoping it would be, it is still better than the last few seedless ones I've gotten.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join