It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The single most frightening experience of my life.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

Thank you very much for explaining

Nice to learn something new every day

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pslr2301

I have sleep paralysis nearly 1/3 of the time during a daytime nap. Never happens UNLESS I am on my back.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you been diagnosed with sleep apnea?

I haven't, but I know I don't breathe well while I'm lying on my back either.

For some reason, I wake up congested when I do. It must be the way my sinuses drain or something.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Although surely prolonged use of your questionable barely illegal herb, means that furniture can talk to you on occassion ;-)

Really? A paranormal thread, and you ping on this?

Does you think this is clever?

It aint.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
yeap, them demons sure like making havoc of people. But at least your ok, and nothing really happened bad. Other than scaring the pants off ya.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This sounds most definately like sleep paralysis.

I had a bout of sleep paralysis for about a month a few years ago. The first time I experienced it, it also was THE most frightening experience of my life.

99% of the time your mind "drifts away" and you go to sleep. Your body goes into paralysis so you don't roll out of your bed. But sometimes, your body goes into paralysis BEFORE your mind goes to sleep. The problem is that when this happens, you are in a half dream state. You experience hallucinations, mostly frightening.

The first time it happened to me, I lay in my bed, unable to move but I felt completely awake. For some reason, I felt the most insane fear I have ever felt in my life, without any reason to feel it. Suddenly I heard someone coming up the stairs, and my door opened... I saw a hand gently opening my door, I almost shat my pants in fear. Then I woke up.

It truly is a frightening experience. I must say I'm an experienced lucid dreamer, so the second time it happened I knew what was happening and used it to go into a lucid dream.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Had a similar experience but only once that I recall.

Lying on my back in that half awake dream state, fell asleep and started dreaming about something, can't really remember what, talking to someone by my bed. Then all of a sudden I 'woke up' and this big dark shadowy creature started rearing up out of where the person had been and loomed over my bed, reminded me of something out of Alien. Distinctly remember it being dark, black covered in shadows and having long spines coming out of the back. It said something creepy as bleep that I can't remember, then hopped on the bed. The whole time I was thinking this is a dream, this is a dream. I kept trying to move to fight it, but it was like my arms were completely exhausted, worse than that last rep after you think you can't possibly do anymore. I was pretty aware the thing couldn't hurt me and at one point started thinking how I always win in my dreams. I also somehow figured if this sh@@ was real my dog would be tearing into this things ass already. Really a weird sensation sort of understanding the situation but being terrified.

I have really vivid dreams but I'm rarely aware I'm dreaming and if I say this is a dream once I bolt awake. Not this time. Everything sort of dissolved slowly while I was repeating this is a dream. Hard to explain how. I was seeing my room and this thing and both dissolved into just my room. It looked like my room, but it wasn't my room. Like a painting on a window with a perfect view of that window getting washed off so you're left with the same view but, watched it change...

Scared the crap out of me. Ran out grabbed the dog, put him on the bed and closed the door so he couldn't escape

Oddly enough I calmed down after this way faster than I do with a normal nightmare. I was pretty tired and just said screw it, if it happens again I'll fight it off quicker and know what's happening. Also, dog.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
OK, I will probably get flamed for this, but it was my true experience.

My wife and our 2 kids moved into a 2 bedroom apartment, right off the pool. It was a beautiful setup and rent was low as it was a nice community near several business parks. I had never had sleep paralysis in my life.

My wife started telling me she was being held down by something and could not breathe. She couldn't open her eyes and was basically in an upset state. Whatever the cause, it would stop in a minute or two. I thought she was just crazy. It happened a few times with her. All of this after we moved into this apartment.

Then, it happened to me. I am 6'-1" 230 lbs and not weak at all. Something pressed down on top of me and I could not see but blackness, also I could not breathe. I was panicking and putting forth all my effort to just roll over to no avail.

This happened frequently to both of us over the course of several weeks. Now, I am a believer in the supernatural and I could not figure out what was going on. I was discussing this with one of my neighbors that lived in the same building. He was a firefighter. He told us that after what happened the apartment sat vacant for 3 years. I litterally had a lake 20 feet out my back sliding door, and the pool that was raised about 10' above the lake had a gat 15 feet from my glass door. I asked why did it sit so long unrented. It was the best apartment in the complex.

Come to find out there was a double murder in the apartment, specifically in the Master Bedroom. I had noticed these holes that had been patched, but as some spackleing shrinks after it is applied and dries, there were indentations. We found out that the double murder was done by handguns. It all made sense to me that some spirit was not happy.

I am christian, but not practicing. My wife came home one day and had been to an Agape Bookstore that her families Priest (Catholic) told her to go. Somehow she ended up meeting some group that cleansed places of spirits, or something like that. I thought it was ridiculous. But, these folks came over. They went through every room with candles and incense and prayed and did some spiritual warfare. There was one guy that kept saying he felt something in the apartment. He was perfectly fine and by the way, we never told them where or what was happening. Anyway, they finally made it to our master bedroom. This guy started shaking, turned pale white, with a red face, and sweat started rolling profusely off his face. I was shocked because this wasn't some act. He said, whatever it is it is right here in this room. They went to town doing their thing to cleanse the spirits, run them out, whatever.

After they left, we never experienced that again. I call them attacks, because that is what it was like.

I realize many people don't believe in God, Angels, Spirits, etc. I had experiences after I long left that apartment which caused me to be clinically dead 2x and had an extensive encounter with life after death. I won't go into that. I wrote about it in another thread, but that isn't important. Just suffice it to say, I know there is life after death, and I know the experience. It brought me back to having strong faith and a relationship with God that I don't need to talk about here. It is a consideration though to think about what I have posted if you continue to have problems, or it spreads to other family members in your home.

Now, all the non-believers, skeptics, etc, in the world won't change what I know and believe. So, if you want to attack me, flame me, call me names, or whatever, it will go nowhere and it doesn't bother me either. If it makes you feel better to do it, then by all means have at it. You will find out the truth in due time.

edit on 2/7/13 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

I had a sleep study done about 4-5 years ago. I do not have sleep apnea but I DO have "sleep fragmentation". The way the sleep doc explained it is that it has the symptoms of apnea without the breathing issues. So I come nearly / all the way out of sleep multiple times (on average 6 events an hour) a night for no reason. OK well he said the reason is pain or trauma. IDK I can't remember my childhood so maybe I have blocked something out. Didn't have much in the way of pain then. Of course with the OCD "tendencies" my mind kicks in once I am awake and it takes me nearly an hour to go back to sleep if at all depending on how far I wake up.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarsSentinel

Although surely prolonged use of your questionable barely illegal herb, means that furniture can talk to you on occassion ;-)

Really? A paranormal thread, and you ping on this?

Does you think this is clever?

It aint.

It was a joke.

Don't be so paranoid.......

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razziazoid
This sounds most definately like sleep paralysis.

I had a bout of sleep paralysis for about a month a few years ago. The first time I experienced it, it also was THE most frightening experience of my life.

99% of the time your mind "drifts away" and you go to sleep. Your body goes into paralysis so you don't roll out of your bed. But sometimes, your body goes into paralysis BEFORE your mind goes to sleep. The problem is that when this happens, you are in a half dream state. You experience hallucinations, mostly frightening.

The first time it happened to me, I lay in my bed, unable to move but I felt completely awake. For some reason, I felt the most insane fear I have ever felt in my life, without any reason to feel it. Suddenly I heard someone coming up the stairs, and my door opened... I saw a hand gently opening my door, I almost shat my pants in fear. Then I woke up.

It truly is a frightening experience. I must say I'm an experienced lucid dreamer, so the second time it happened I knew what was happening and used it to go into a lucid dream.

Thanks for sharing!

The "coming up the stairs" bit is common in alot of experiences. Maybe its due to an inherent primevil fear of somebody coming for you when you are at your most vulnerable.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 04:58 AM
link   
My last SP experience was my worst, all I can remember is ”waking up” to find myself strapped to a table of sorts, a doctors examination bed or something like that, there was more than one entity, I couldn’t make out any features but they were dark shadowy beings, they were trying to force something tube like down my throat, I couldn’t move my arms and I couldn’t shout not only because you seemingly can’t really make much noise when in the SP situation but also because I didn’t want to open my mouth and allow them access! I don’t know what ended the experience but I think that the movement I did manage by trying to jerk my head to the left and right to deny them access to my mouth was what pulled me out of it! Really scary stuff!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

that sounds a bit horrific.T

Although I wouldnt wish it on anyone, im kind of glad people have posted their experiences.

It helps me sleep at night....

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Dang I'm so glad I didn't have all that terrifying stuff when I had my experience.

I just remember being very annoyed because the alarm was going off and I couldn't move to shut it off. I had never heard of sleep paralysis at that time, but knew I was awake, but asleep at the same time. I kept thinking "I've got to wake up and shut that thing off!" (I hate loud noises in the mornings).

I wasn't afraid, just annoyed.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Three possibilities come to my mind not paranormal at all.

1. Sleep paralysis
2. Radio frequencies picked up by dental work or other heavy metals in the body
3. Early onset of schizophrenia

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
Three possibilities come to my mind not paranormal at all.

1. Sleep paralysis
2. Radio frequencies picked up by dental work or other heavy metals in the body
3. Early onset of schizophrenia

1st one, most likely

I like the thought of the second one, never heard of it before.

The 3rd one is unlikely, no history of mental health issues and im not in the danger bracket age.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
(Probably) the most terrifying type of sleep paralysis involves what is usually a (thankfully) short duration of complete memory loss, accompanied by a feeling of being in a great void or emptiness. Imagine moving from sleep to semi-consciousness, and then not knowing where or even WHO you are. Now that's terrifying! Seriously, words cannot describe the sheer horror of this experience. I had bouts of SP years ago and experienced what I just described. Just one time, thank God.

From what I've gleaned through research, everyone this happens to attempts to scream for all they're worth when they experience it.
Anyone nearby will hear them whimpering.
edit on 4-7-2013 by ColeYounger because: clarification

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

To you militant anti-"religionists", you rob yourself of understanding and tools to deal with this real supernatural experience. From the get-go you define uncomfortable ideas as "religious" so as to invalidate potential legitimacy. We "religious " people merely accept the concept of a super-reality that includes higher orders of good and evil. Second, you dismiss the idea of evil because it might implicate your own guilt in matters of life...moreover, admitting to the existence of evil might contend with your own flawed worldview, which you prefer not to have to face. I'm nearly 60 and had sleep paralysis events most of my life, both when I was "non-religious" and "religious ." My success in combatting and completely defeating the dark attackers occurred when, as a believer, I subconsciously uttered the words at the attacker..."in the name of Jesus, leave me." I was shocked and astounded when the face of the evil entity turned to sheer horror when it heard the word Jesus. Any time a sleep paralysis event would begin from then on I would use His name, and the events greatly lessened over time and finally went away completely. My interpretation is that "They" know they can't scare me. This response from me absolutely worked. Take your own course of action, but to define the supernatural out of existence is hiding your heads in the sand.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by eezveeneetee
reply to post by Briles1207

To you militant anti-"religionists", you rob yourself of understanding and tools to deal with this real supernatural experience. From the get-go you define uncomfortable ideas as "religious" so as to invalidate potential legitimacy. We "religious " people merely accept the concept of a super-reality that includes higher orders of good and evil. Second, you dismiss the idea of evil because it might implicate your own guilt in matters of life...moreover, admitting to the existence of evil might contend with your own flawed worldview, which you prefer not to have to face. I'm nearly 60 and had sleep paralysis events most of my life, both when I was "non-religious" and "religious ." My success in combatting and completely defeating the dark attackers occurred when, as a believer, I subconsciously uttered the words at the attacker..."in the name of Jesus, leave me." I was shocked and astounded when the face of the evil entity turned to sheer horror when it heard the word Jesus. Any time a sleep paralysis event would begin from then on I would use His name, and the events greatly lessened over time and finally went away completely. My interpretation is that "They" know they can't scare me. This response from me absolutely worked. Take your own course of action, but to define the supernatural out of existence is hiding your heads in the sand.

I had a similar experience but with my god and enslaver roger the squirrel. I done said to the demons "in the name of roger the squirrel, the hippo and the holey sock, be gone you evil, no good thing that I know not of!"

All seriousness aside, you have a point albeit totally misguided. I stopped getting them once I realized they were irrational.. And I believe that irrationality is the true evil in humans. I was also able to get rid of an anxiety disorder (for the most part anyway) by realizing my fears of death were irrational.

The stuff i saw was truly scary... The worst one was a 6ft+ shadowy man in a trench coat and fedora (another common sighting I believe) leaning up against study desk.. I was paralysed and he said to me"not bad, huh" as if to suggest this Is my power. Another time I got dragged halfway down my bed. The funniest time was when I was drinking at a friends house, fell asleep in a lounge chair (didn't pass out wasn't that drunk) and I obviously half woke up.. Could see my mates and I started screaming "what do you want from me". Haha.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but everyone experiences sleep paralysis. Some people just never experience it while conscious.

With some practice, anyone can control their state of consciousness while their body enters sleep paralysis. This is fundamental to achieving out of body experiences. Sleep paralysis can be very scary for some people, but there is nothing to worry about because it is COMPLETELY NORMAL! But, having said that, I was a bit scared the first time I experienced sleep paralysis while my mind was still aware.

I would recommend anyone to practice keeping the mind aware while the body sleeps. It first happened to me by chance, but I have been practicing ever since. An out of body experience ( or lucid dream) can be such a great experience!

Here are a couple of things that help me get in the state of "Mind Awake, Body Asleep" (MABA). If sleep paralysis frightens you, then these are some situations that you may want to avoid.

- firstly (& the most obvious), concentrate on keeping the mind awake while the body falls asleep. I can keep my mind awake by simply thinking. The exact thoughts are not all that important, as long as my mind is active.

- The #1 most reliable method (for me) to achieve mind awake body asleep is to take a mid day nap in a well lit. room. For some reason, it is Much easier during nap time. In fact, my first experience happened during a mid day nap (purely by chance).

- If I've been asleep for a while & wake up in the middle of the night, my body can quickly fall back to sleep. If I keep my mind active, I can achieve MABA fairly quickly & easily.

I'd like to reiterate that sleep paralysis is completely normal, and there is no reason to be frightened. However, I understand why someone would be frightened. If the sleep paralysis does NOT bother you, but the experiences during the time do, I would recommend practicing taking control of the experience. It is possible to control what you see and/or hear while in sleep paralysis. I have found this to be a most amazing experience, and it is saddening for me to know that some people are frightened by the experience...enough to never want to try it again.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you do....although I hope that this bad experience can be turned into something good & rewarding

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
And I'd like to describe some ways to wake yourself if you enter sleep paralysis and become frightened.

- Although your body is in a paralyzed state, you can still control your breathing. Changing your breathing rate is a fairly reliable way to wake yourself up. Focus on your breathing, and speed it up, slow it down, hold your breath, etc. Usually, any change in my breathing works well to wake me up.

- Try to cough. This is related to the breathing I just mentioned, but it accomplishes more. Its usually not too hard to get yourself to cough....even if its just a tiny cough.

-Try to wiggle an extremity such as a finger(s) or toe(s).

- Try to snarl your nose & squint your eyes (think of the face you would make if you smell something gross).

If none of these wake you up, don't panic. If you panic it will make the experience worse. Also, fighting can make it worse. For example, some people feel like someone is pushing down on them, making it difficult to breathe. Fighting against this force can make it worse. Sometimes just giving in is the best way to go. Either you'll wake up, or your mind will finally fall asleep (catching up with your body).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join